Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 9:26:03 PM EDT
She was on her way home from the movies with a friend.  We were talking when her truck started making clattering sounds.  Then it stalled when she stopped.  Luckily she was only a mile or two from home, and made it there.  It was overheated, and her step dad said it smelled like oil.  She is way over due for an oil change.  It's a 93 Mazda, basically a Ranger. She's 3 hours away from me, so I can't look at it.  I'm thinking she ran it out of oil, and maybe blew a head gasket from the overheated/warped heads.  I'm assuming the heads on those engines are aluminum, but if they're cast iron, that might offer some hope.  She's freakin out because she has to be up here for work on Friday, and has no alternate means of transportation.  It's looking like I might have to drive down and get her.  A 3-3.5 hour drive in my '98 Ram 4x4, that just loves gasoline! Her step dad is going to look at in the morning, and her uncle is a mechanic and will probably give it his prognosis. I hope I'm wrong about the engine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.. An inflatable truck.  Could be the way o get off the dependance of foreign oil..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Way overdue for an oil change...

Why do people seem to have a problem with changing the oil when they're supposed to?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why do people seem to have a problem with changing the oil when they're supposed to?

Did you miss the part where he said it's a woman?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normally I would take offense to that, because she's my girlfriend after all, but you're spot on.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's a 4 banger it will be the 2.3l ford engine. Easy to come by in a junkyard and easy to overhaul. relativelty cheap too. The same engine was used in Rangers and mustangs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Perfect chance for some "road noggin"
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it's a 4 banger it will be the 2.3l ford engine. Easy to come by in a junkyard and easy to overhaul. relativelty cheap too. The same engine was used in Rangers and mustangs.

It is...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Perfect chance to drop a 302 in it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Perfect chance to drop a 302 in it.

Dude....bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normally I would take offense to that, because she's my girlfriend after all, but you're spot on.

You need to teach her how to check and top off the oil as needed.  I think my wife is a better vehicle mechanic than I am.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This equates to the admission that the little head normally does the thinking for you, and you're having a rare moment in which you're using the correct head to think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dad did the same thing with his couple year old Toyota Tacoma. I'm always telling him to make sure he gets his oil changed and he goes and gets it changed after like 10k km.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]

She is way over due for an oil change

A 3-3.5 hour drive

It's a 93 Mazda, basically a Ranger

Pull the MAN CARD buddy you let you girl drive hours away with a "way over due oil change" in a 93 that you called a FORD..............
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tee-hee.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is...

Those are tough little motors. If you are mechanically inclined and can do the assembly yourself, you can get a junkyard motor for about $150-$300. The last one I built was about four years ago and it cost me less than $1000 including machine work.
Of course that was a racing motor so I used the older single plug head.
To further answer your question, it is a cast iron block and head. The real weak point on these engines is the oil pump drive.
If you don't want to build one, then they shouldn't be too expensive reman from an auto parts store. Just stay away from the engines sold by Autozone, Checker auto parts, or advance auto parts. Get a Jasper reman if you can.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is...

Those are tough little motors. If you are mechanically inclined and can do the assembly yourself, you can get a junkyard motor for about $150-$300. The last one I built was about four years ago and it cost me less than $1000 including machine work.
To further answer your question, it is a cast iron block and head. The real weak point on these engines is the oil pump drive.
If you don't want to build one, then they shouldn't be too expensive reman from an auto parts store. Just stay away from the engines sold by Autozone, Checker auto parts, or advance auto parts. Get a Jasper reman if you can.

I know my way around building engines, but I have no tools, or facilities to do work in where I'm currently living.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is...

I know my way around building engines, but I have no tools, or facilities to do work in where I'm currently living.

Too bad you don't live closer. I built most of mine in my shed. I could build a sweet 2.5 stroker motor that would leave all the fast and furious wannabes in your rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

I'd make the same comment about my own mother.  Women are just notoriously bad about letting a vehicle go to shit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:29:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is...

Too bad you don't live closer. I built most of mine in my shed. I could build a sweet 2.5 stroker motor that would leave all the fast and furious wannabes in your rear view mirror.

Meh, never been into 4 bangers.  More of a big block Mopar engine guy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I think your GF GOT TRUCKED tonight!!!

3 hours away. . . .hmmmmm. . .while you were texting the gay guy, your GF was watching a movie all right. . . . . . .
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

3 hours away. . . .hmmmmm. . .while you were texting the gay guy, your GF was watching a movie all right. . . . . . .

Grow the fuck up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dude! That's just wrong!! But I will admit that I was thinking the same thing when I read his post.
Nawww. She's a good girl!
(But is he a good boy?)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude! That's just wrong!! But I will admit that I was thinking the same thing when I read his post.
Nawww. She's a good girl!
(But is he a good boy?)

He's butt hurt over another thread, so he's trolling my threads trying to get a rise out of me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:39:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Not me! I was just messin' around. I hope you guys get the truck running.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I wasn't talkin about you.  It was still running when she shut it off though.  I wish I could check it out myself, because her step dad isn't exactly the type that knows his way around an engine bay.  Her uncle does though, so hopefully he can get her going, without too much work.  I'll find out more later.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Hopefuly. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't talkin about you.  It was still running when she shut it off though.  I wish I could check it out myself, because her step dad isn't exactly the type that knows his way around an engine bay.  Her uncle does though, so hopefully he can get her going, without too much work.  I'll find out more later.

Quoted:
She was on her way home from the movies with a friend.  We were talking when her truck started making clattering sounds.  Then it stalled when she stopped.  Luckily she was only a mile or two from home, and made it there.  It was overheated, and her step dad said it smelled like oil.  She is way over due for an oil change.  It's a 93 Mazda, basically a Ranger. She's 3 hours away from me, so I can't look at it.  I'm thinking she ran it out of oil, and maybe blew a head gasket from the overheated/warped heads.  I'm assuming the heads on those engines are aluminum, but if they're cast iron, that might offer some hope.  She's freakin out because she has to be up here for work on Friday, and has no alternate means of transportation.  It's looking like I might have to drive down and get her.  A 3-3.5 hour drive in my '98 Ram 4x4, that just loves gasoline! Her step dad is going to look at in the morning, and her uncle is a mechanic and will probably give it his prognosis. I hope I'm wrong about the engine.

Oh, I'm sure it is an aluminum head.

If it stalled, she probably scored up the cylinder walls and tore up other internals.

If it just started running rough, it might just be a head issue.

If she really was driving it without oil....  kiss that block goodbye and start over.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I'm sure it is an aluminum head.

If it stalled, she probably scored up the cylinder walls and tore up other internals.

If it just started running rough, it might just be a head issue.

If she really was driving it without oil....  kiss that block goodbye and start over.

Yeah, she got really upset when I told her that her engine was probably toast.  So then I had to tell her that is a worst case scenario to make her feel better. I wish I would have been there to make an accurate judgement. I've witnessed several engines let go for various reasons, and been behind the wheel of some of them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:25:31 AM EDT
[#29]
As was stated, you can get an engine in a salvage yard.  If you can make the swap for under $800 do so.  If more than that she should look for something else to drive.

Many of the major parts were shared with Rangers of that vintage.  Stay away from the '96 Rangers as those were a transitional model year & some stuff is not compatable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Drive her to Hertz rent a car, save a 3 hour trip
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How the fuck is that gonna save me a 3 hour trip?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dad did the same thing with his couple year old Toyota Tacoma. I'm always telling him to make sure he gets his oil changed and he goes and gets it changed after like 10k km.

You do realize that there are many synthetic oils out there that will not break down till around 15,000 miles? Though there is no excuse for not checking the levels.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the fuck is that gonna save me a 3 hour trip?

It won't but she can rent a car and drive back up to work.

The cost of the rental will be less than the gas you'll burn driving down there and back, trust me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Unless it is a head gasket or something cheap to fix, find a junkyard and pick up a used engine from a wrecked truck.  2.3L are common as dirt and pretty cheap.

If her uncle can put the engine in pay him to do it, have stepdad take her to Hertz and rent a car for the drive home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top