Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2001 11:07:21 AM EDT
I was wondering what the difference is between the UZI model "A" and model "B" carbines.  In your opinion which one is better?  Also, is one usually more expensive than the other?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The A was produced from '80 - 83 and the B from '83 to the ban.  (I'm going from memory with the dates, so I could be wrong)

The B was designed is response to the ATF declaring that the A was to easlily converted to full auto.  Apparently, it could easily be made to slamfire.

There are several changes, some of which don't have to do with the ATF's beef with the model A.  I don't know all of them, but here are a couple.

- Sight differences. (A=Adjustable with special tool, B=Adjustable without tool)

- The bolt on the B has a lever that must be mechanically depressed in order for the striker/firing pin to reach the cartridge.  This is depressed only when the bolt is in battery.  This satisfies the ATF's beef.  

- A guide on the right rear is welded on in the A, whereas it is a part of the receiver on the B.  

- I believe the trigger group is slightly different as well.

The only difference you will detect in shooting the two is that the B has sights that can be readily adjusted.  The A has the SMG sights.

The A is more desirable, but not so much as to turn down a B.  They are simply not that different in doing what they are designed to do.  It's simply better to have the one that the "nanny state" required altered.

Link Posted: 3/6/2001 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to be pickey but:

Uzi's fire from the open bolt position. They always "Slam Fire".

If your thinking about buying an Uzi, go for the FA Vector (www.vectorarms.com). Good quality and great price for a Class III.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not to be pickey but:

Uzi's fire from the open bolt position. They always "Slam Fire".
View Quote

Only the Full Auto Uzi fires from an open bolt.
A few model A's were imported prior to '81 that where semi-auto open bolt guns.  After '81 Action Arms was required to make modifications to the "A" to fire from a closed bolt and to prevent the drop-in of a SMG bolt (blocking bar).  After '85 the "B" was introduced.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
mattjedi
I paid $1250 for my 9mm IMI Model A. I think I could have purchased a "B" for a few dollars less. I have also added a .45 ACP barrel, bolt, and mags. The .45 bolt has the mechanical lever "Driftpunch" mentioned, the 9mm bolt does not.

Either "A" or "B" can be easily legally converted to full auto. If you plan to keep it semi auto the "A" might be best for collector value. I bought an "A" because it was the only UZI in my town for sale. If it had been a "B" I would have bought it. I guess I just got lucky.

UZI's are amazingly accurate and well made. They are heavy too, but will last probably forever. And I've never heard of an IMI full size 9mm UZI jamming if it's in good condition.

Yeah they're "obsolete" (compared to an MP5) but I still like the damn thing. It's easy to work on, and almost impossible to break, and can be converted to full auto legally for less than 2K including ATF paperwork and fees.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.  [uzi]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top