Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 3:55:09 PM EDT
Link

Bikini-clad women make men impatient

Images of sexy women tend to whet men's sexual appetite. But stimulating new research in the Journal of Consumer Research says there's more than meets the eye. A recent study shows that men who watched sexy videos or handled lingerie sought immediate gratification—even when they were making decisions about money, soda, and candy.
Authors Bram Van den Bergh, Siegfried DeWitte, and Luk Warlop (KULeuven, Belgium) found that the desire for immediate rewards increased in men who touched bras, looked at pictures of beautiful women, or watched video clips of young women in bikinis running through a park.

"It seems that sexual appetite causes a greater urgency to consume anything rewarding," the authors suggest. Thus, the activation of sexual desire appears to spill over into other brain systems involved in reward-seeking behaviors, even the cognitive desire for money.

"After they touched a bra, men are more likely to be content with a smaller immediate monetary reward," writes Bram Van den Bergh, one of the study's authors. "Prior exposure to sexy stimuli may influence the choice between chocolate cake or fruit for dessert."

The authors believe the stimuli bring men's minds to the present as opposed to the future. "The study demonstrates that bikinis cause a shift in time preference: Men live in the here and now when they glance at pictures featuring women in lingerie. That is, men will choose the immediately available rewards and seek immediate gratification after sex cue exposure."

Do all straight men respond the same? Actually, no. Some men are highly responsive to rewards while others are not so sensitive, and the more reward-sensitive men are the impatient ones.

In fact, doing a task designed to inspire financial satisfaction reduced the bikini-inspired impatience, just as feeling full reduces food cravings. Men may want to be aware of bikinis' effects on their bank accounts and waistlines.

Source: University of Chicago
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
This explains everything about Arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, right.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean...sex sells?

Oh my God! Do you realize the implications of this? Next you'll be seeing bikini clad women standing in a snowy alpine setting getting men to buy shitty watery beer! Think about it! Advertisers might learn that by placing an attractive woman in an advertisment that they would otherwise have no business being in....just to get men to buy more of the product!

Oh Teh Noes!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You mean...sex sells?

Oh my God! Do you realize the implications of this? Next you'll be seeing bikini clad women standing in a snowy alpine setting getting men to buy shitty watery beer! Think about it! Advertisers might learn that by placing an attractive woman in an advertisment that they would otherwise have no business being in....just to get men to buy more of the product!

Oh Teh Noes!

I don't think that's what they're saying.

They're saying certain images change the mind's way of thinking - changes from future-oriented to right now gratification. That can be bad for your wallet and your health.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hurry up and post pics.

Good grief.

What the hell are you waiting for.

Do it now!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean...sex sells?

Oh Teh Noes!

They're saying certain images change the mind's way of thinking - changes from future-oriented to right now gratification. That can be bad for your wallet and your health.

Yeah - that's what HE'S saying.

It's like two guys arguing about the temperature.

GUY #1:  It's gotta be about 120 degrees Fahrenheit out here!

GUY #2:  No, you moron, it's only 49 degrees Celcius!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean...sex sells?

Oh Teh Noes!

So, don't let yourself be manipulated. You don't want to be manipulated do you? Or do you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean...sex sells?

Oh Teh Noes!

One of you appears to be looking at another window with a scantily clad woman in it. This appears to have had an effect already.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
You mean...sex sells?

Oh Teh Noes!

So, don't let yourself be manipulated. You don't want to be manipulated do you? Or do you.

When I see tatas, PART of me want's to be manipulated...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top