Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:44:37 PM EDT
I dont know if this question was ever posed but,I was talking with some guys at work.If you were on the moon, or actually an atmosphere with no oxygen, would you be able to fire a weapon. I thought no since there would be no oxygen to feed the combustion of the powder. Im not even sure the primer would detonate.  Then My buddy said " How do you explain rocket propulsion in outer space"  I said " Fuck you, get back to work or you're fired!

Well , what do you think ? guns on the moon or not?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well then, you sir, completely fucking FAIL.  The propellant has its own oxidizer.  And, AGNTSA.

/thread.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
This came up last week... They would work. Everything is self contained.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]

The oxidizer is in the gun powder.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
There's air in a cartridge, so I don't see why not. Bullets will fire underwater. But I would think if you fired a bullet in space, it would never stop unless it hit something.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, if you tried to fire a gun in zero gravity both you and the bullet would be propelled in opposite directions at the same speed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, holy crap.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I dont know if this question was ever posed but,I was talking with some guys at work.If you were on the moon, or actually an atmosphere with no oxygen, would you be able to fire a weapon. I thought no since there would be no oxygen to feed the combustion of the powder. Im not even sure the primer would detonate.  Then My buddy said " How do you explain rocket propulsion in outer space"  I said " Fuck you, get back to work or you're fired!

Well , what do you think ? guns on the moon or not?

Rocket fuel is largely made of oxygen.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually, if you tried to fire a gun in zero gravity both you and the bullet would be propelled in opposite directions at the same speed.

Oh, holy crap, again.

You're not serious, are you?  What kind of diet are you on that got you down to 55 grains of weight?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Gunpowder reacts with itself, not with oxygen from the air. Guns will work in space, or in a pure nitrogen environment, or underwater
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ this thread is full of the FAIL.  Are "you" and the projectile the same mass? No.  You would not fly backwards at the same speed the bullet goes forward.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, holy crap, again.

You're not serious, are you?  What kind of diet are you on that got you down to 55 grains of weight?

Quoted for fail. You'd be propelled in opposite directions with the same momentum, which is mass*velocity. Not the same velocity.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's air in a cartridge, so I don't see why not. Bullets will fire underwater. But I would think if you fired a bullet in space, it would never stop unless it hit something.

On Earth, a bullet won't stop until it hits something too.  One of the laws of motion state that an object will remain at rest or continue in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.  That goes for anything, anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, holy crap, again.

Quoted for fail. You'd be propelled in opposite directions with the same momentum, which is mass*velocity. Not the same velocity.

You fail too.  Ponyboy didn't say the same momentum.  He said speed.  

FAIL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Likely the 10th time I've posted this:

Nitro-cellulose is self oxidizing, guns would fire just fine in a hard vac
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]
What if you're standing on a treadmill when you fire?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well then, you sir, completely fucking FAIL.  The propellant has its own oxidizer.  And, AGNTSA.

/thread.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

FAIL.

You managed to read my post without reading my post. I was correcting Ponyboy, not agreeing with him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What if you're standing on a treadmill when you fire?

You would fly backwards, and the bullet would drop straight down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, holy crap, again.

Of course I'm not serious. I just wanted to see how much shit I could stir up.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL.

You managed to read my post without reading my post. I was correcting Ponyboy, not agreeing with him.

I think he was confused by the fact that you included my post in the quote section.  That confused me for a minute too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#21]
All points covered already.

* Propellant in cartridge is partially made up of an oxidizer. So yes, it would fire.
* Rocket fuel is largely liquid oxygen, thats why that shit works.
* Shooting a gun in zero gravity would propel both you and the bullet in opposite directions at the same speed.
* In zero gravity, bullet would travel until it hit something, and then other things could happen, but off topic...
* Shooting a gun on the moon where gravity is minimal would probably throw you off balance if you didn't have a good footing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, holy crap, again.

Well, you're doing a pretty crappy job of it, giving yourself away so early in the game.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Double tap.

. . . er . . . controlled pair.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Jesus, this thread brings out the FAIL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL.

Ah, a misunderstanding.  Not complete FAIL.  I thought that's why you quoted the other dude, to correct him for some reason.  You should have been more specific.  We'll call it even.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

/thread.

+1[roger that] FAIL (over)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On Earth, a bullet won't stop until it hits something too.  One of the laws of motion state that an object will remain at rest or continue in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.  That goes for anything, anywhere.

Um...............gravity, Einstien?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, holy crap, again.

Well, you're doing a pretty crappy job of it, giving yourself away so early in the game.

Dude, you don't know this place very well. Somebody will be along in a minute to start arguing that I'm right anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#29]
What if your dog stuck it's wet nose in your ass when you shot the gun.  You may or may not enjoy that.

(If you have to ask, you missed a hell of a thread)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  It hits the ground.  It's hitting something, Sir Isaac Newton.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ah, a misunderstanding.  Not complete FAIL.  I thought that's why you quoted the other dude, to correct him for some reason.  You should have been more specific.  We'll call it even.

I just clicked the closest one that contained the statement

Quoted:

Dude, you don't know this place very well. Somebody will be along in a minute to start arguing that I'm right anyway.

Already happened, on the previous page:

Quoted:
All points covered already.

* Shooting a gun in zero gravity would propel both you and the bullet in opposite directions at the same speed.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, holy crap, again.

well that makes you the of the thread
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What if your dog stuck it's wet nose in your ass when you shot the gun.  You may or may not enjoy that.

FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if both you and the bullet has the same mass.

What can I say? ...I've got a big fucking gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Merrel and I had a debate about the avg IQ of ARFCOM, I win!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  It hits the ground.  It's hitting something, Sir Isaac Newton.

Yeah........no kidding........because gravity pulled it there Da Vinci
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Threads like this explain why people think water is a fuel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

And . . . gravity doesn't exist in space?

Orbits would be impossible of there were no gravity in space.

And G= 1/d^2 is infinite.  According to that equation, you can't get away from gravity.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

MASSIVE fail.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The outside force is gravity...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#44]
The only problem you'd have with firing a gun in outer space or on a planet or moon with no atmosphere would be keeping it from over heating.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in appreciable amounts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#46]
We should see if the Mods will put a sticky up or creat some sub-forum where repeated topics like this are answered so we dont see 30 page threads on the same thing 3x a week.  Example:

Al Pacino uses a FNC in Heat
The plane on the treadmill will take off
Bulllets will work in space

So on and so forth..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]

That's all I have to say about this page.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The only problem you'd have with firing a gun in outer space or on a planet or moon with no atmosphere would be keeping it from over heating.

A water-cooled system would pretty much be the only way.  You could have it a closed system so that the water that boiled off went through a pipe into the spacecraft, or just into some shade, condensed there, and then went back into the reservior.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm . . . last I heard, you need to freakin' go 17,000 mph to keep from crashing into the Earth in low-Earth orbit.  That's a lot of gravity.  Even at a quarter of a million miles from the Earth, the Moon needs to travel over 2000 mph.  That's STILL a lot of gravity.

Plut0, at several billion miles from the Sun, needs to travel about 10,000 mph to keep in orbit.  That's a lot of gravity.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More Massive fail.

The Earths diamater is about 8000 miles.  Space "starts" at what, 60 miles up?
real quick, aproximately what is the ratio of 4000^2/4060^2?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top