Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 12:51:01 PM EDT
LUCAS, JACKLYN HAROLD

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division. Place and date: Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 20 February 1945. Entered service at: Norfolk, Va. Born: 14 February 1928, Plymouth, N.C. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 20 February 1945. While creeping through a treacherous, twisting ravine which ran in close proximity to a fluid and uncertain frontline on D-plus-1 day, Pfc. Lucas and 3 other men were suddenly ambushed by a hostile patrol which savagely attacked with rifle fire and grenades. Quick to act when the lives of the small group were endangered by 2 grenades which landed directly in front of them, Pfc. Lucas unhesitatingly hurled himself over his comrades upon 1 grenade and pulled the other under him, absorbing the whole blasting forces of the explosions in his own body in order to shield his companions from the concussion and murderous flying fragments. By his inspiring action and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice, he not only protected his comrades from certain injury or possible death but also enabled them to rout the Japanese patrol and continue the advance. His exceptionally courageous initiative and loyalty reflect the highest credit upon Pfc. Lucas and the U.S. Naval Service.

How he survived is beyond me, Mr Lucas is expected to pass soon. He lied and went into the service at 14 years old and earned the MOH at 17
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
He went back to high school after the war.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It won't be long before all of our WWII vets are gone. Does anyone know how many are still alive?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
LUCAS, JACKLYN HAROLD

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division. Place and date: Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 20 February 1945. Entered service at: Norfolk, Va. Born: 14 February 1928, Plymouth, N.C. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 20 February 1945. While creeping through a treacherous, twisting ravine which ran in close proximity to a fluid and uncertain frontline on D-plus-1 day, Pfc. Lucas and 3 other men were suddenly ambushed by a hostile patrol which savagely attacked with rifle fire and grenades. Quick to act when the lives of the small group were endangered by 2 grenades which landed directly in front of them, Pfc. Lucas unhesitatingly hurled himself over his comrades upon 1 grenade and pulled the other under him, absorbing the whole blasting forces of the explosions in his own body in order to shield his companions from the concussion and murderous flying fragments. By his inspiring action and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice, he not only protected his comrades from certain injury or possible death but also enabled them to rout the Japanese patrol and continue the advance. His exceptionally courageous initiative and loyalty reflect the highest credit upon Pfc. Lucas and the U.S. Naval Service.

How he survived is beyond me, Mr Lucas is expected to pass soon. He lied and went into the service at 14 years old and earned the MOH at 17

Jack Lucas is one hard-core son of a bitch, and I wish I had the opportunity to meet him.

Faked his age and joined the marines at 14, stowed aboard a ship heading to the Pacific theater at 17, landed on Iwo Jima without a weapon on D-Day, kicked ass, threw himself on two hand grenades to save his squad, got a Medal of Honor, and went back to finish high school.

When you were a teenager, and your biggest concerns were borrowing the car, acne, and your grades, if you ever got this weird, wet sensation, that was Jack Lucas telepathically peeing on you for being such a pansy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It won't be long before all of our WWII vets are gone. Does anyone know how many are still alive?

My grandfather never saw combat, but he was part of the German occupation force (got drafted in 1945) and went home when the army began releasing all the draftees.

His health isn't shabby for 80-something, but he's slowly starting to fade away, mainly from a lack of usefulness. I keep trying to get him to write his memoirs, but he never does.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Jumped on two grenades and lived?

That's one hardcore sumbitch.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My uncle (my Grandmothers bother) died many years ago long before I was old enough to understand the significance of his stories of Normandy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.amazon.com/World-Collection-Shooting-Saving-Private/dp/B0001NBLY0

In the "Price for Peace" video in this set he speaks a great deal.

He's more than a badass. He's a "regular guy" and quite lovable.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My uncle (my Grandmothers bother) died many years ago long before I was old enough to understand the significance of his stories of Normandy.

My grandfather just passed away on Saturday.

ETA - I wish him a swift and painless passage.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I read his book.  Quite a story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top