Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2008 10:35:16 AM EDT
This morning I was on my way down to the big city to do a few things. I planned to attend a job fair (need a job), visit a buddy from college, meet one of my buddies chick friends (hopefully hook up) and meet up with a booty call (deff. hook up).
So I loaded up my ruck with a few days worth of clothes, grabbed my sleeping bag and my computer bag. Now due to the price of gas, nice weather and the fact that chicks dig them, I was taking my motorcycle. I took my computer bag and the sleeping bag and strapped them onto the back part of the seat, and just wore my ruck.

After about 20 miles I am just cruising along at about 55-60 when all of a sudden I hear this loud noise.  I had just come onto a bridge which was on a curve, the  rear wheel locks up and starts skidding. I automaticly grabed for the clutch but that did nothing, the rear of the bike stated to step out to the left side (bladeing?) about a 45 degree angle, I counter steered it back but then the rear went to the right about 90 degrees, then back left, then back right. I grabed a little front brake to try to get the rear unloaded and maybe get it stoped a little faster. A few times when it was kicked right out and headed toward the guard rail I almost bailed but I kept fighting the urge to give up.

Finaly I got it stopped, looked back and a state trooper was coming up fast. I lifted the bike up and dragged it off the road. looked down and saw that my whole sleeping bag was wedged up into the rear wheel. My computer bag was laying in the middle of the road and all my cables and stuff were strewn out behind it. The cop jumped out of the car asked if i was alright and what the hell happened. I told him I was fine and ran out to grab all my computer gear.

Then I just about passed out,my heart was racing and sweat just started to pour off me. The cop said he had just turned in behind me and he saw the whole thing, he said he could not believe that I was able to save it. He said he was expecting to have to scrape someone off the road or retreive a body from the river below.
Acouple more tropers came and looked at the scene and they all said i was very very lucky to still be alive much less unhurt and my bike was still fine.

The skid mark ended up being just shy of 300 feet long and looked like 2 S's in a row.
I managed to yank the sleeping bag out of the wheel (took about 20 min), I gave up on my trip and decided I needed to get home.

Wierd thing was that the booty call girl called me right after it happened (literaly right as I was draging teh bike off the road), she left me a voice mail saying be safe, be carefull and hopes  to see me soon.

Computer still works, sleeping bag has 2 small holes in it. rear tire has a bit of a flat spot now.
I am a lucky lucky guy and I need to go buy a lottery ticket for tonights drawing.

ETA: this is the reason I dont ride in regular clothes, I wear armored and padded riding gear....just in case.

ETA2: OK I got a pic of the booty up now....yes this really is the chick. Yes she is worth it. Yes I am going to go see her this weekend. No i am not scared of riding my bike. Its only 200 miles. Yes I have banged her. Yes I will give an AAR. NO I will not siihpapp....... but i will siihp

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Booty call girl wants to be more than your booty call.

Eject now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
So you didnt strap it down good enough ?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Wheel lock at 50mph... Impressive!  

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, glad you're ok!

This is yet another reason why I prefer vehicles with 4 wheels, AC, and a stereo
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So you didnt strap it down good enough ?

Obviously not, but I don't really know how I could have strapped it any better.
I had two ratcheting straps on it.
It is one of those compression bag types so it has 4 tension straps that hang off, I can only guess that one of those may have gotten loose and gotten into the chain. That would explain the loud noise, it would have taken a lot of force to yank it out from under the straps. Both of the straps were still hooked up and over the seat.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a couple of bungie nets for securing stuff to the back of the bike.  I recommend getting some.

Anything loose is trouble waiting to happen.  With wind & vibration I've seen stuff slip from single cords.

Good job keeping the bike up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds impossible, that you managed to salvage that.  Maybe you should go buy some lotto tickets now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got a couple of bungie nets for securing stuff to the back of the bike.  I recommend getting some.

Anything loose is trouble waiting to happen.  With wind & vibration I've seen stuff slip from single cords.

I used to have spiderweb cargo bungies, but I left them at my fathers house and he happens to be rebuilding his garage. Everything is moved from one side to the other and just full of dirt and grime. I was dressed in nice clothes (for the job fair) and had just gotten myself cleaned up good (which is a real chore for me). I started looking for the nets but every time I even moved the dirt and stuff was literaly jumping up onto me. So I had to get the heck out of there. I thought they were right inside the door where i had left them, but he had tossed evrything in a big pile.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Come on low post count...................................MS paint / pic or ban
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
DAMN!!!

Glad you didn't become an organ donor. Nice save, I believe you deserve a cold beer and an upgrade on your man card!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I guess I could take a pic of the holes in the sleeping bag..lol.
I tried to get a pic of the skid mark in the road, but my cell phone camera would not get it very clear.

ETA: I will go get one of the flat spot on the tire ....that should serve as proof!
ETA2: you dont believe me I IM me and i will tell you the trooper baracks, you call and ask I am sure they are telling the story now. 3 of them saw the marks, the bike and me still shakeing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Yikes! Good that you kept the bike up but I'm glad to hear that you were wearing gear.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried to get a pic of the skid mark in the road, but my cell phone camera would not get it very clear.

ETA: I will go get one of the flat spot on the tire ....that should serve as proof!
ETA2: you dont believe me I IM me and i will tell you the trooper baracks, you call and ask I am sure they are telling the story now. 3 of them saw the marks, the bike and me still shakeing.

Rules are Rules..........................................just yanking your chain an MS paint would be funnier

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, have to keep an eye on your bungie cords.  I always strap my laptop on the back part of my seat and to the low sissy bar.  One time I was riding along and SLAP! I got hit in the back with something.  I thought someone threw a rock at me.  Turned out it was one of the bungie cords' ends slipped through the hook and got me.  Scared the crap out of me when it happened, though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#17]
On powerball, one lotto and one scratcher!!!  NOW!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#18]
What kind of bike?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rules are Rules..........................................just yanking your chain an MS paint would be funnier

Pic is up in OP
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice save!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#21]
The involuntary lock up was the reason you survived.

The problem most people have on 2 wheelers is that they accidentally lock up the rear wheel at that speed, and then don't ride it all the way to a stop.  

Glad you hear you're OK.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
due to the price of gas, nice weather and the fact that chicks dig them, I was taking my motorcycle.

So, how much money in gas did you save?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#23]
 WHEEEE!!!  

I'd be drunker than fuck right now...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/kybosshog420/crash.jpg

A very interesting MS Paint.   You're going for a Monet or Cezzanne type look, eh?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/kybosshog420/crash.jpg

NICE! actualy very very close and much better than I could have done!
Only thing is I live in the US and we drive on the right hand side of the road, it happened on the corner and there was a big fucking river below me!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#26]
looks like a vmax to me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Yikes... glad you are okay.  Sorry about the loss of a perfectly good sleeping bag.  I hope it wasn't too expensive.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice save.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Now might be a good time to wash-wax-polish the whole bike and check for loose nuts and bolts, since you ain't getting any tonight!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Glad you are OK.

I had a similar incident in CA in the mid-70's on Hwy 5 between Sacto and Bakersfield.  At about 70 mph, a sweater I had tied to the rear of the seat came loose and got wrapped in the chain and locked up the rear wheel.  I was able to keep the bike upright until the stop.   Damn, that was a surprise.  I still have flashbacks of what could have happened.    
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Pics or it didn't happen
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I had never thought about this happening...thanks for letting me know how not to secure stuff to the back of my bike.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#34]
This is the kind of thing that reinforces the need to wear proper safety clothing and helmet when riding, you did well and managed to stay upright but had you dropped it without the proper gear you would be pretty tore up or dead.  There was a guy in my city that lost control for unknown reasons, he was only going 25-30 mph, he died of head injuries, if he had worn a helmet he would have only had very minor injuries.  I've been riding for nearly 50 years, 300,000 miles, and I know the value of proper safety equipment, I've had 2 accidents in my riding history, the most recent (2005) the helmet saved my life.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This is the kind of thing that reinforces the need to wear proper safety clothing and helmet when riding, you did well and managed to stay upright but had you dropped it without the proper gear you would be pretty tore up or dead.  There was a guy in my city that lost control for unknown reasons, he was only going 25-30 mph, he died of head injuries, if he had worn a helmet he would have only had very minor injuries.  I've been riding for nearly 50 years, 300,000 miles, and I know the value of proper safety equipment, I've had 2 accidents in my riding history, the most recent (2005) the helmet saved my life.

I always wear a helmet, almost always wear my riding jacket w/elbow and shoulder pads, if I am going for a long ride I wear my riding pants with hip and knee pads.

I have been down a few times and gotten lucky, I do not want to go down again but if I do I want something between me and the road.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Then I just about passed out,my heart was racing and sweat just started to pour off me.

Cool, we even have the "massive adrenalin dump"!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#37]
ATGATT.

All the gear, all the time!   Even I don't do it, but it is becoming more of a habbit to wear the pants instead of just the leather jacket or synthetic jacket.  Glad you made it safe.  I have always had the bad habbit of not knowing when to bail when riding.  All major body surfing came on dirt, but always up till I was on the ground protecting the bike with my body I would be telling myself I can save it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
ATGATT.

All the gear, all the time!   Even I don't do it, but it is becoming more of a habbit to wear the pants instead of just the leather jacket or synthetic jacket.  Glad you made it safe.  I have always had the bad habbit of not knowing when to bail when riding.  All major body surfing came on dirt, but always up till I was on the ground protecting the bike with my body I would be telling myself I can save it.

If I had not learned on dirt I think things would have ended differently. I remember the whole thing and I was calm for the entire 5 seconds that it took. I just did what needed to be done and remained in control of it. I still have a MX bike that I ride every once in a while, its good practice for scary situations. Rideing any bike is really a mater of having fast reaction time and full situational awareness.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Then I just about passed out,my heart was racing and sweat just started to pour off me.

Cool, we even have the "massive adrenalin dump"!!!

LOL, I was almost gonna say it, but I was able to resist the urge.

I think almost wiping out on a bike at 60 could probably make for a little more "massive of a dump" than being accosted by a walmart door nazi could ever cause.

ETA: me to tire "you will not touch my sleeping bag" "you will not entangle my sleeping bag"
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad it turned out well for you, that could have been plenty ugly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad you are ok always secure your gear on a bike more accieents than I can think of with folks over gear coming loose.

Your bike looks like it needs a bit of maintenance. A clean and well maintained bike is a happy bike and a happy bike is a bike that reponds when you need it to respond.

Anyhow glad u r safe
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I tie my sleeping bag to the front when I go on long camping type rides so I can see it and make sure it isn't unraveling
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Glad you didnt eat poo.

Pics of booty call or she doesnt exist
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad to have you still with us.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#45]
non-biker here but can't you use a backpack for this???
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Some do, but there is a small problem:

When (eventually) you fall off and go sliding/bounding/careening down the road, you now have big bag of STUFF pushing on your spine.  God help you if there is anything in there that gets pushed into your back by a curb or even a Bott's Dot.

The only backpack I will wear is hard plastic, with a cushioned flat surface against my back, and I only load it with soft stuff (gloves, tshirt, etc.) and a laptop.  The flat surface of the laptop and the flat surface of the backpack are less likely to cause spinal injury, though there is still no guarantee.  Oh, and this is with my spine protector under my jacket, under the backpack!

I also have a spine protector in all my jackets.  I was born with 2 working legs and I hope to go out the same way!

But, everyday people ride with backpacks full of stuff, and most of the time they get lucky in a crash.

FluxPrism
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Booty call girl wants to be more than your booty call.

Eject now.

Good call... bad one on his part.

Glad you're still here, bro.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#48]
wow
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some do, but there is a small problem:

When (eventually) you fall off and go sliding/bounding/careening down the road, you now have big bag of STUFF pushing on your spine.  God help you if there is anything in there that gets pushed into your back by a curb or even a Bott's Dot.

The only backpack I will wear is hard plastic, with a cushioned flat surface against my back, and I only load it with soft stuff (gloves, tshirt, etc.) and a laptop.  The flat surface of the laptop and the flat surface of the backpack are less likely to cause spinal injury, though there is still no guarantee.  Oh, and this is with my spine protector under my jacket, under the backpack!

I also have a spine protector in all my jackets.  I was born with 2 working legs and I hope to go out the same way!

But, everyday people ride with backpacks full of stuff, and most of the time they get lucky in a crash.

FluxPrism

This makes perfect sense, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice save.  And thanks for posting a pict of the tire, not the picture of the skidmark...on your shorts

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top