Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 8:44:01 AM EDT
I'm looking to purchase a used firearm from someone. This will be the first time I haven't bought new and my first time purchasing from someone I don't know.

My question is, is there some way to check the serial number of a firearm to see if it's ok or not? This will be a face to face transaction and I'm having the guy meet me at a gun store so he could run background on both of us. I will also request 2 forms of id, yada yada along with copies and a bill of sale.

I just want to be extra precautious.

-Carlo
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Call your sheriff's office and ask if they'll run the number.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Also if you are going to the FFL to have 4473's done ("run background on both of us") there really is no need for you to get all of the different id's from the other party.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Also if you are going to the FFL to have 4473's done ("run background on both of us") there really is no need for you to get all of the different id's from the other party.

I just want to have it "just in case". I plan on keeping the information for as long as I have the firearm.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Can they check it from the gun store?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Do the sale at the sheriffs office. here if you call in a deputy or the sheriff will meet you out side to bring the weapon into the courthouse. He can then run the numbers and you are in the clear if later down the line something comes up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top