Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 7:39:04 AM EDT
With the gas prices rising I was told that I could work from home one day a week. I work as a Desktop Publisher and Graphic Design but at work we use windows computers and at home I have an MAC but I need to be able to access our network drives through a VPN. I have all the software I need on my MAC but I can't get the VPN to access our network through my MAC. Any advice, help, links, would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Apple has a built in VPN client to connect to other networks.  
Depending on the security of your company, you can take the IP address/Hostname, User name and password and punch that into the apple VPN client and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of VPN are we talking about? Cisco? Nortel? PPTP?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Mac has a VPN connection setting in the networking settings.  

If that won't work because you have a Cisco or Sonicwall firewall at work, those companies make clients you should be able to get.  Ask your IT about it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I would think talking to your IT department would bring quicker results than asking on a gun forum.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes but we need more detail.

PPTP is the easiest/free. Others may or may not be free.

Check out VPN Tracker it's got a 30-day demo and is pretty easy to use.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
99% sure its Nortel, the IT department won't provide support for MACs.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your IT people are lazy then.

Nortel has a client for the mac. The Notes are Here. Looks like it was last updated in '03 so I'd be tickled if it still actually worked.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea I think they must be or else they don't have the knowledge or patience to work with MACS since our company uses only PCs. I am going to try and see if I CAN CONNECT TO THE vpn THIS WEEKEND I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT works.

Thanks

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your IT people are lazy then.

Nortel has a client for the mac. The Notes are Here. Looks like it was last updated in '03 so I'd be tickled if it still actually worked.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's Nortel, then you'll need your company to provide you with the Mac VPN client, as I'm reasonably certain it's not free. If you're really in a pinch, sometimes colleges (not knowing that they're not supposed to do this) will provide a link for students and staff to download the VPN client, on a publicly accessible server. I've scored clients that way. Google, baby.

As an aside, this is the kind of thing that people don't often think about when they say "Fuck Microsoft, I'm getting a Mac!!!1one!1!". Ditto for running Linux. Or BSD. Or...

It's not a knock on OSX (or Linux, or...), it's a realization that most of the rest of the world focuses development and support resources on PC's. I've got a laptop full of software that I need to use everyday that only works in Windows. I run Ubuntu when I'm not working. My servers at home are FreeBSD. The web/DNS servers I'm responsible for at work run CentOS.

It's just the way it is. Fortunately, I'm not a mouth breathing moron, so I don't have much difficulty in maintaining a trouble-free Windows box.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
since it's a mac, you should just be able to miracle it onto the VPN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top