Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 5:06:30 AM EDT
For the first time in my life, I've done this. From moment one, I simply could not stand it at all. After truly hearing their commission structures and everything, it simply was not worth my time. Sorry to vent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Good on you but you should have quit the first day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Mazal Tov! Hope you find a better job soon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I did that once when I was 18.  It felt good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#4]
What was it that was so awful?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I worked at Burger King when I was sixteen. One day, I took the trash out and never came back. It felt great!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I washed dishes in a country club for one night when i was 15. I worked 10 hours, and got a whole $35. Sometimes you just have to know when to say fuck it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sometimes you just have to know when to say fuck it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My mom booted my out of bed the second day after summer vacation started after my sophmore year in high school and told me to get a job.

I went back to high school and talked to the summer career guidance drone who set me up with a job at Pioneer Chicken starting that day at 6pm.

I went to work and the first thin I had to do was clean shitters, followed by cleaning the grease traps and finally straining the grease in the grease vats and cleaning the filter screens.

I was covered in grease and filth and I stunk when I got home.

My mom damn near cried when she saw me, my dad thought it was funny.

The next day I was scheduled to work the same shift.

My mom told me that I didn't have to go back, and I never did.

To this day I can't eat at Pioneer Chicken.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
What was your pay,if you dont mind me asking?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#10]
"Commission" often translates to "Self-Employed"...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been here 18 years

Went from yard jockey to General Manager.

Keep looking, you will find something you love someday.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
What were you employed to do?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My mom booted my out of bed the second day after summer vacation started after my sophmore year in high school and told me to get a job.

I went back to high school and talked to the summer career guidance drone who set me up with a job at Pioneer Chicken starting that day at 6pm.

I went to work and the first thin I had to do was clean shitters, followed by cleaning the grease traps and finally straining the grease in the grease vats and cleaning the filter screens.

To this day I can't eat at Pioneer Chicken.  

was it the pioneer on sunset?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I am sitting in a job right now that I HATE. I just started 2 weeks ago. Thinking about doing the same thing. I am going to have a heart attack at this place I swear. I might get my first check and leave..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am sitting in a job right now that I HATE. I just started 2 weeks ago. Thinking about doing the same thing. I am going to have a heart attack at this place I swear. I might get my first check and leave..

Send out your resume before you leave.  try to have something lined up before you resign.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Say, you didn't happen to stick two fingers down your throat and make yourself throw up, did you?

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I worked at Burger King when I was sixteen. One day, I took the trash out and never came back. It felt great!

That's worth one
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I feel sorry for you.  That was an opportunity for you to learn a valuable lesson, and your mom was a weakling.  Working shit-jobs, which we have ALL done, is what inspires us to study hard in school and get better jobs later in life.  I know my own string of low-end jobs from age 14 to 24 had a huge impact on my life both financially and morally.

There is nothing wrong with cleaning out other people's terlets and scrubbing grease traps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yepper.......Ive done the same thing , second day I took a loooooong lunch with no regrets.

Youll find better , have no doubts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Send out your resume before you leave.  try to have something lined up before you resign.

It is out. I have a few other companies that I have had 4-5 interviews with that look promising but nothing stable. I have always made good decisions and in the past have never done anything like this.. Just walk out without a job, honestly I don't care anymore. No one has ever been on there death bed saying "boy i wish i spent more time at the office"
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Let me guess, Ameriprise Financial?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

X2

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I lasted 3 days with this crazy concrete guy when I was young.  My last day we started out at 7am.  There was a heat emergency that day and he was too cheap to rent a jackhammer, so we had to bust out a mis-poured sidewalk with hand tools.  Later we were laying out rebar by flashlight and then headed home at 1 am.  He decided to have a couple of Bud tall boys for the drive.  Kept falling asleep behind the wheel.  I would let him go to see how long he would stay asleep and keep it on the road.  He did surprisingly well.  He would start to hit the shoulder and it would make him jump awake.  That was enough for me.  His name was "Oak".  That was his real first name.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#24]
My first job was at Big Ten Tires. Summer, Gulf Coast 95 degrees, 90% humidity. I was not in the office.

When I started, there were no pnuematic lug nut guns. I got my own personal 4 way lug tool. My girly hands shaped up fast.

It really wasn't too bad, the other guys were cool, manager was a bit of a hard ass but fair- but I was the last hired. Two weeks to go before school started, business declined and I was canned. What pissed me off was the balancing guy was just about to show me the ropes on the truing machine. ETA: No, the thing that REALLY pissed me off was the new pnuematic lug nut gun they installed the day I left.

Took my last check and shagged it to the Gulf and surfed, fished till school cranked up.

Never have quit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I worked as a barback in my Mom's bar/nightclub for some extra cash.  I quit after one hour.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Say, you didn't happen to stick two fingers down your throat and make yourself throw up, did you?

Dammit, beaten to it!

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Vector Marketing = Selling over priced knives to your friends and family.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#28]
 I think every one has had a few false starts in their lives. It's a learning experience!! It's OK as long as you settle down and develop some "sticktoitness" early on!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#29]
The job was for Sprint. I was hired as a full time sales rep. The hourly was 10 per hour, and with the lowest level commission it totaled out to something like 33K a year.

Basically what was so bad about the job was the environment. The employees there did not even remotely care about the customer. I come from a job where the customer comes first. I've always been one to spend my time with customers and try and make them happy. I try and prevent a problem. I'm one whom will throughly explain something to a customer so that they understand it. All of the other sales reps basically did nothing to explain to the customer what they were getting themselves into. That was one bad thing.

On my first day alone, I was stuck up front on the floor, knowing nothing about their system, while they were in the back hanging out, and I had no knowledge of their systems so I obviously could not truly assist any customers.

The pay was a downgrade from what I was used to. The only thing that truly made me want to be there was because it was stable.

Another note was that two of the sales reps, the LEAD sales reps, actually said the word cunt in front of multiple customers multiple times. Also shit was thrown at other sales reps just to be ridiculous. It was a completely unprofessional work environment.

Now I know why Sprint has terrible customer service.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#30]
When i see som,e of the shitty jobs people have to do, and I think back over the shitty jobs I had to do,

I take my college diploma out and kiss it.  With tongue.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#31]
No surprise, Sprint is probably the worst in the telecom industry for customer service.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No surprise, Sprint is probably the worst in the telecom industry for customer service.

This sums it up. I'm done with wireless. I sold both AT&T and Verizon. I loved working for both of them.

I'm waiting on my neighbor to get home. Going to talk to him about where he works, and try and get a real fucking job.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I feel sorry for you.  That was an opportunity for you to learn a valuable lesson, and your mom was a weakling.  Working shit-jobs, which we have ALL done, is what inspires us to study hard in school and get better jobs later in life.  I know my own string of low-end jobs from age 14 to 24 had a huge impact on my life both financially and morally.

There is nothing wrong with cleaning out other people's terlets and scrubbing grease traps.

+1. My first job was at a fast food restaurant. Cashier duty and flipping burgers was the glamorous part of the job. Taking out trash that was oozing all sorts of liquid, scrubbing toilets and urinals, cleaning up little Johnny's puke, draining and scrubbing fryers were also part of the deal - all for around $3.50 an hour.

But it definitely taught me what I didn't want to end up doing and how hard it was to earn a buck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top