Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:38:48 AM EDT

June 3 (Bloomberg) -- Imagine two scales at the airline ticket counter, one for your bags and one for you. The price of a ticket depends upon the weight of both.

That may not be so far-fetched.

Link

Pricing by total weight makes more sense than charging a 150 pound guy with one oversize bag more than a 300 pound guy with one "legal" bag.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting Idea.  I wonder how long it would be before the ACLU was on them like butter on toast.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
How about first we make airport security such that someone can go to the airport and fly from Houston to Dallas or vice versa faster than I can drive the distance? Because right now, the last time I did that, I beat the person flying by over an hour, and that's without the flight being delayed. And that is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How about first we make airport security such that someone can go to the airport and fly from Houston to Dallas or vice versa faster than I can drive the distance? Because right now, the last time I did that, I beat the person flying by over an hour, and that's without the flight being delayed. And that is ridiculous.

Apples and oranges.  The airlines are no longer in charge of airport security - TSA is.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh. I no longer fly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Interesting Idea.  I wonder how long it would be before the ACLU was on them like butter on toast.

I don't like butter on toast.  

A good idea, but a PR nightmare.  Why should regular people pay extra for the morbidly obese people?  Flat rate is like communism.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't like butter on toast.  

A good idea, but a PR nightmare.  Why should regular people pay extra for the morbidly obese people?  Flat rate is like communism.

What about putting extra tariffs on arabs? They drive up the security costs
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Expect long delays at the ticket counter and restrooms as passengers shed clothes & sh*t to reduce their weight.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
As weight has a direct impact on their costs I think it is a halfway decent idea.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
African Americans are more likely to be obese than white folks. Therefore, Jesse Jackson will cry racism. It's an evil plot by the Republican party to further the oppression of the black man in America.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Expect long delays at the ticket counter and restrooms as passengers shed clothes & sh*t to reduce their weight.

Expect long lines of people insisting they don't weigh that much and that the scales are broken.

Obese cow: "I have never been over 180lb in my life"

Kirsty Alley: "I am not 450lb, I lost over 300lb on Jenny Craig, I am still only 180lb, pass me that ice cream, nom nom nom"
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
It's only fair to base price on cost.

But it'll butthurt some idiot so it will never happen.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I like it.  Never happen though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
African Americans are more likely to be obese than white folks. Therefore, Jesse Jackson will cry racism. It's an evil plot by the Republican party to further the oppression of the black man in America.

Lose the hyphen Slacker. TR said it best
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#16]
At 155lbs I'm all for it. I wouldn't feel bad paying extra if I was taking my skydiving gear as luggage either.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
At 155lbs I'm all for it. I wouldn't feel bad paying extra if I was taking my skydiving gear as luggage either.

I'd just offer to ride in the baggage hold, and ask for a 5 minute alarm before you jump.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I would support this proposal. I am sick and tired of being partially buried under the flabalanche from the fatty in the seat next to me. If you don't fit in one seat PAY FOR TWO!

Thanks. I feel better now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember a flight from Montgomery to Atlanta (Heart of the Stroke belt)
on one of those small 60 passenger type planes and the thing was grossly overloaded

They had to off load half the luggage to make it off the ground (my bag was one of them)
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#20]
It looks like one airline is making it their business model!

Link

Welcome to Derrie-Air, the world's only carbon-neutral luxury airline, where you don't have to choose between living the high life and saving the planet. Nine out of ten scientists agree—we need to reduce our carbon emissions or perish from the face of the earth. Air travel is one of the biggest sources of carbon emissions and global warming. Derrie-Air will be the only airline that plants trees to offset every pound of carbon that our planes release into the atmosphere.

But not only will we do our part to protect the environment, we will expect you, our passengers, to do your part as well. The magic comes from our one of a kind "Sliding Scale"—the more you weigh, the more you'll pay. After all, it takes more fuel—more energy—to get more weight from point A to point B. So we will charge passengers based on how much mass they add to the plane. The heavier you and your luggage are, the more trees we'll plant to make up for the trouble of flying you from place to place.

Edit:  the above is a JOKE!    Hopefully people bothered to read that far ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top