Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 2:07:10 AM EDT
Yesterday, I received in my mail box a soft cover copy of the Book of Mormon. It was not delivered by the postman, but rather dropped off by someone—likely a missionary, but I am not sure who.  The question is what to do with it?

I do find it somewhat offensive that it was given to me as a gift: there is an insert stating that this copy is a gift.  I am not one who will even entertain the idea of converting to that religion—nor any other for that matter.  I am rather a staunch atheist.  However, I do not go around trying to convert others to my belief;  I think that it is wrong to do so.  Likewise, I think it is wrong for anyone to try to convert others.  The golden rule applies here.  Do you like it when someone tries to convert you to say Islam, or Devil Worship, or <insert religion here>?

On the one hand I don’t want to be offensive to others, but I do not want this book.  It is definitely clutter that I do not need.  Burning it would be offensive, as would be using it as emergency toilet paper (poor toilet paper it would make, however) or using it as a target.  Just throwing it away seems a waste also.  Returning it might be an option, but to whom do I return it, and would this act be considered offensive?

I kind-of want to find out who did drop this off and return the favor by giving them an equally offensive book.  Something along the lines of a Satanic Ritual book would be good.  Leave them a note attached indicating that I appreciate the copy of the Book of Mormon, and thought that they might be interested in my religion as well.   But this would be just revenge—but it would taste so sweet for the moment.

Do I just take it to the nearest LDS Stake center or church with a note that I found this gift offensive and am returning it so that it might be given to someone who would appreciate it?  Would that act be appropriate?  Or, do I actually find an elder, (e.g., stop one of the missionaries on the street) and give them a piece of my mind while handing them the book back?

Or, do you have some other suggestion?  Please restrain from being overly offensive to any and all religions or belief systems with your suggestions.  Keeping the book is offensive to mine, so that is not an option for me.  There may not be a truly inoffensive way to handle this, but I’m interested in mitigating the offensiveness as much as possible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that your best option is a simple note and drop it off at a local LDS gathering place.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude...I'd just read it first.  You'll know what to do with it once you're finished.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Its your book now do with it as you see fit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I would keep it for reference. If you don't want it for that, just throw it out. If they are giving them away for free, they aren't that valuable.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Give it to the local library. If they can't use it, they'll give it away.

Get over it. Someone tried to do something they believed was a nice and positive thing  and you think of nothing but insulting them for it? Come on man. Have some tact. If you don't want it that bad, throw it in the trash and forget about it. I don't go take a crap in front of the local Democrat's office when they send me unsolicited campaign mail.

The worlds not going to end if you have the Book of Mormon. I have a copy and I'm not Mormon. My Mormon buddy gave me one and I read a bit of it. Don't be so ignorant that you can't even try to understand the otherside of the fence. I also have a Koran and a Jehovah Witness Bible. Not planning on changing my religion, but there is nothing wrong with knowing more about the world and it's religions. If you don't believe in the books, I don't see what the big deal is. Why don't you treat them like any other work of fiction?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Why be offended?  Do you walk around looking for things to offend you?  That book is important to many people.  Someone thought you could get something from it.  At the very least, read it.  It doesn't mean you have to convert.  You'll learn something.  Those who refuse to take advantage of an education opportunity amaze me.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
To those who say I should read it, well, I have read it several times in the past.  It was one of the books which helped me to understand who I was, and why the existence of a god is impossible (for me anyway).
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't be offended by it.  It was a very unobtrusive gesture with good intentions.

There is a whole lot more to get offended about.  Lighten up or you're gonna get ulcers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
To those who say I should read it, well, I have read it several times in the past.  It was one of the books which helped me to understand who I was, and why the existence of a god is impossible (for me anyway).

Then return it, pass it to someone you think may benefit from it, or throw it away.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Im not a mormon, but I fail to see how that gesture is offensive. Some one obvioulsy thought you could get something out of it. When people give stuff like that away, they have nothing but good intentions in mind.... for the most part that is. If you dont want it, throw it away or give it away.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
The LDS are based on Christianity, and the  Cristian New Testatment says that followers should not throw pearls to pigs. Its just a metaphor, so dont think that I'm calling you a pig. It just means that the scriptures are a treasure, and should not be thrown about willy nilly, and forced upon those who would be naturaly unaccepting. That type of evangelism only seems to hurt the reputation of believers, and gives all the faithful a bad name. If they want to treat their holy book like a chinese carry out menu, then you should too. But i dont think you would be as upset as you are,  if you were a vegetarian, and you got a flier you a steak house in the mail.

Seriously though, you are over reacting, over something as meaningless to you as a french phonebook. Treat it like the rest of your junkmail , as that seems it was the mormons intent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Whoever put it in your mailbox broke the law.

Breaking the law is a sin.

Ergo, that religion must be worthless.

Toss the book in the trash.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If it were delivered by the post office, then I could and might take it back to the post office and tell them I don't want this kind of offensive material sent to me.

I see no difference in receiving this than most of you would see receiving information about some Satanic Cult.  It is only mildly offensive, but I would like those who delivered this to know that some do find some amount of offense to this.  How do they know that I'm not an orthodox Muslim or some other religion that sees their belief as a Satanic one or something.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it were delivered by the post office, then I could and might take it back to the post office and tell them I don't want this kind of offensive material sent to me.

I see no difference in receiving this than most of you would see receiving information about some Satanic Cult.  It is only mildly offensive, but I would like those who delivered this to know that some do find some amount of offense to this.  How do they know that I'm not an orthodox Muslim or some other religion that sees their belief as a Satanic one or something.

Who cares?  

It's amazing the things people go out of their way to find offense with.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are caught prosyltising in salt lake city within 50 metres of a LDS church you can be arrested but the hypocrites dont mind doing this shit anywhere they please.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Put on your big girl panties and drop it off at a laundry mat or something.

Geeez, bet you have a hard time deciding what to have for breakfast too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I kept the one I got. Its better then any night time fairy tale I was read as a child. I think my roomates used part of it for papers when they ran out of zig zags in college.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I would toss it.  As an athiest, I can see why you would be offended, but it is important to analyze the intent behind the gift maybe.  They actually think that they might be able to save you from hell, so in their minds their doing you an enormous favor.  Still though, I would be pissed for a second.  Like you said, we don't go around telling them that their wrong.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Why don't you just read it?   I doubt it'll do you any lasting harm.

And then,  whatever happens, happens.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Who cares what you do with it.  This is the dumbest thread I have seen here in a while.

Why does it seem like a lot of self proclaimed atheists are drama queens.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive seen more then a few jump for jesus clowns that are prima donnas.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ive seen more then a few jump for jesus clowns that are prima donnas.

No where near the amount of " hey look at me I'm an atheist" crowd.

what a bunch of attention whores.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I was given a book of mormon also, I tried reading it but it was not my cup of tea and I trashed it. no big deal.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
no killswitch is mormon he has to be who your thinking of
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Who cares what you do with it.  This is the dumbest thread I have seen here in a while.

Actually, I'm looking for the most ethical way to handle this.  Just throwing it away seems to be a waste and might be offensive to the giver.  As would be putting it into a recycling bin. Giving it to someone who would appreciate it seems appropriate, but how do I go about doing that?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:37:17 AM EDT
[#26]
send into to BYU or something I'm sure they would like it. Honestly dude just shit can it they wont ever know and even if they did who cares.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I'm looking for the most ethical way to handle this.  Just throwing it away seems to be a waste and might be offensive to the giver.  As would be putting it into a recycling bin. Giving it to someone who would appreciate it seems appropriate, but how do I go about doing that?

Well, if you give it to someone else you might offend them as much as someone has just offended you.

Just toss it in the paper recycle bin.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#28]
just drop it off to a homeless guy on the corner
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#30]
hollow it out, and keep a spare gun in it
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Hell, I'm agnostic and I BOUGHT a book of Mormon, along with most of the other LDS religious books.  I would have liked a free one, but I needed it fast for a paper I was writing.

Maybe they were giving them out in your neighborhood or something.  Just give it back or toss it if you don't want it.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
hollow it out, and keep a spare gun in it

Oh, just the excuse I need to get a .25 ACP or .32 ACP. The book isn't big enough for anything else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#33]
So someone did something you find offensive... big deal.... no point in you being rude and offensive in return.

Just do whatever you want with the book and get on with your life, why bother going out looking for a Mormon to be abusive to.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Use it, lose it or give it away

Then, go find something at least HALFWAY serious to get offended over
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, I just got an IM of someone who wants the book, and I'm going to send it to him.  That is one of the best ways to handle this.  

May this thread now die a slow painful death.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I do find it somewhat offensive that it was given to me as a gift.

The american male is dead

How in the name of all that is good, can the gift of a book get someone so farking worked up?  It was given with good intentions.  You did nothing to earn it.  If you don't like it tell them "no thank you" and go about your biz.

// not a Mormon
// Tired of the american whiner.

Quoted:

Internet lawyers
Internet theologians

Two groups who's advice and comments are worth less than the price you pay.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Play some Donny and Marie Osmond recordings, clean your John Moses Browning designed 1911, and reflect on the contributions that LDS members have made to our society.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Why don't you take the time to read it? If you are a staunch atheist, you might gain further knowledge to support your position. Knowlege in all forms, whether it's the writings of Scientology, the Koran, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Che Guevara, Moses, Budda, Ghandi, etc. is knowlege all the same. You don't have to support or believe what is written. The minute you close your mind & quit learning, you die.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Just toss it. The JW's always leave crap. It goes right in the trash. Why not call the USPS and complain to them since it was left "in" the mailbox.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Book of Mormon?  
I'd use it to start campfires.  The paper is probably too John Wayne to be useful as TP.  
When Oblama is elected and jacks up the world, thereby increasing fuel costs and food costs and yer taxes, so much so that you can't afford food.... then you could eat it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's a suggestion: grow up.

Put the book in the trash and politely refuse any further inquiries.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Here's a suggestion: grow up.

Put the book in the trash and politely refuse any further inquiries.

+1

I wouldn't treat it any different than junk mail...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Soak it in water and use it for bullet expansion testing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Throw it at one of those stupid missionaries as they ride by on thier bicycle in a black suit with a mud stripe up the back.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Since they are not going to know what you do with it, I don't see how it could offend them if you burned it, shot it, or threw it away.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Offensive to the giver"?  First, who cares, and second, how is the giver going to know?  Is he going through your garbage in addition to your mailbox?

You were given something you don't want.  I assume you have garbage cans in your home.  Use one of them.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#47]
It's not offensive if no one finds out about it.  Who's gonna be offended if you burn it in the fireplace and never tell a soul (although not likely anymore being you posted it up on the net)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top