Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 7:30:31 PM EDT
I was told it was a custom for the dad to get the wife something after delivery. Since Im going to be a new dad the end of this month Im not familiar with this. What did some of yall get for your wives after delivery and when did you give it to them?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Flowers and maid service for a week is a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt get my wife anything.  I have never heard of that. You should be spending your money on the little one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you have already gave her something
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was told it was a custom for the dad to get the wife something after delivery. Since Im going to be a new dad the end of this month Im not familiar with this. What did some of yall get for your wives after delivery and when did you give it to them?

Didn't you give her one about nine months ago?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I got her a plate for her to put my sammich on.

ETA: thats an exaggeration, I just told her where the plates were.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
yes I did  Im thinking atleast some flowers
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got her a plate for her to put my sammich on.

ETA: thats an exaggeration, I just told her where the plates were.

Bwahahahhhhahaha
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
some nice pajamas or something comfortable to wear in the hospital...there are these fuzzy socks my mom got that she was crazy about. However the maid service for a week thing sounds better. And you better get her at least the flowers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
no kids  or wife here, but for nice warm pajamas try www.snugasabug.com.   I got two pair of Footy jammies there (polar fleece, zip down the front) and they have held up well.  Also they make the footies for children of all sizes and adults (I am 6' 4" and was almost 300 lbs when I got mine, have lost some weight since then).

Dave
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
no kids  or wife here, but for nice warm pajamas try www.snugasabug.com.   I got two pair of Footy jammies there (polar fleece, zip down the front) and they have held up well.  Also they make the footies for children of all sizes and adults (I am 6' 4" and was almost 300 lbs when I got mine, have lost some weight since then).

Dave

dude
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if its tradition, but I did.  I wanted to show her how much I appreciated the gift she just gave me.  I got her a miniature tea set with Whinnie the Pooh on it becase she collected Tea sets and The baby's room was done in Whinniie the Pooh theme.  Not a big gift, but thoughtful and meant a lot to her.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I didnt get my wife anything.  I have never heard of that. You should be spending your money on the little one.

+1 for me too (3-month old girl), unless you count the big iced tea from her favorite restaurant that I brought her the day after she gave birth.  She loves tea.

She's getting an anniversary band this year on our anniversary, though.  She deserves it now that she had to go through a c-section to give me a child.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
After the baby is born she will not care about shit for awhile.  Just let her get some rest, she'll be happy after that.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I did. Roses for the hospital room. A box of nice dark chocolates. A new night gown. I was in the delivery room helping her out with all four of ours so I usually ordered the flowers at the hospital after we were done with the deliveries. That was a while ago. My youngest is 21

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure did...3 times!

HH
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You'd better.

I hope you also got her something for Mother's Day when she was pregnant, or you'll be regretting it for a looooong time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Take a week off from work and spend it waiting on her hand and foot while she relaxes with the baby.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Maid service works nicely.

Make dinners and clean up afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my wife a gold chain with a "Mother's" pendant on it.  It's been around her neck for six years now.  I think she likes it.

Your wife needs to be reminded that she's your wife first and that's the way you'll always see her.  It's easier to raise a kid when mom and dad are on the same team.

Congratulations on the new baby.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It is NOT custom, just so you know.  Some men do it, some don't, but don't feel obligated because someone told you that it's custom.

And lemme tell ya.... the absolute BEST thing that my husband got me right after our babies were born (at the earliest convenience of course), was the biggest, drippiest cheeseburger he could find, along with fries, onion rings, a shake, etc etc etc.  Giving birth SUCKS!  And it's only compounded by the fact that they don't feed you for the entire time you're in labor.  Ice chips?!?  ICE CHIPS?!??  What kind of perverted sadist thought of that crap?!??

Seriously though, she'll be stuck in an ugly hospital room, so flowers and a heartfelt card are nice (yes, my hubby did that for me too).  I'm telling you, if you can cut out of there as soon as you get a chance, and come back with a real meal and some flowers?  You'll get a couple years worth of bonus points.

When you get home, the next best thing you can do for her is to take care of the baby for a few hours whenever you can, and let her get a nap.  There is NOTHING that compares to the bone-deep exhaustion you feel after giving birth, and having to take care of your first newborn 24/7... all while trying to heal up, and your hormones are trying to get back to normal.

Just don't think you need to go buy her jewelry or anything.

Good luck!  It's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I went and got my wife a Blizzard from DQ when we got home from the hospital, does that count?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Flowers to come home to is nice.

Also, The mother-to-be is supposed to buy Father-to-be, a rolex, in order to make up all of the
whining, and bitching the poor sap will endure for the next year and a half.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I was so overjoyed at the birth of my first son that I went out the next day and bought a new S&W 625 3" to celebrate the occasion.  I also pledged to give it to him when he becomes an adult, assuming that he wants that particular revolver.  You should do something similar.  Oh...be nice to your wife too.  

dvo
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#25]
im not a mum yet, but if we were to have a baby,id love for my hubby to bring a big bunch of fresh flowers (or a nice balloon) as soon as i woke up, plus a nice warm robe or pyjamas, plus a nice little cake with "welcome home mum " written on it".. home made by my hubby

a little help around the house for the first week or so till shes got her strength back would be much appreciated plus some simple warm meals so she wont have to cook for a bit, theres some real nice ready to microwave stuff available.

Congratulationsto you both
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#26]
4 kids worth of experience here.

PJ's and a nice robe so she can look good for visitors is a nice idea. Buy your card now and have it near by, cuz once she goes into labor, you are going to be a busy man. Have the balloons / stork / plywood baby for the front lawn ordered now so all you have to do is give them the green light. Pre-planning is your best bet. As mentioned, before, make a mental note of favorite food and snacks and bring them as needed. Milk shakes are always appreciated.

Congrats and if you pre-plan you can enjoy the moment better without having to sweat the small shit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#27]
It's not a custom, but it is nice. I got my wife flowers and chocolate. I was going to get her some other stuff, but our dryer broke the morning my daughter was born, so I had to buy a new one that day. Only problem was I broke the washer trying to get the old dryer out, so then I had to go and buy a new one of those too! Yes, I did the laundry for a few weeks till the wife got back on her feet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Flowers and I waited on her for every little thing while I was out of work.  The biggest thing you can give her is some time to sleep.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I took a week off and let her rest.  All she had to do was feed/change the baby, I did everything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top