Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:14:34 PM EDT
I just checked my college email. The college sent me an email today saying I'm on academic probation. The email said my GPA was under 2.0, but I'm 4.0... Somebody done fucked something up and it ain't me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, tough school
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Inflation.

You should have at least a 12.0

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell them you are a minority.  You'll be at 4.3 in no time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It is better than double secret probation.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you saying that certain races gain preferential academic treatment over others in terms of grading and acceptance? That would be racism.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
That's okay.  My university took 8 months to finally transfer my credit.  Meanwhile I got to pick classes by seniority and was unable to enroll in one of the classes I wanted.

Fuck Mizzou.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow, tough school

Even perfect grades will done fuck yo shit up I guess.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Sue for mental stress
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sue for mental stress

I've wanted to do that for years because of all the office morons I have to deal with. They screw up stuff all the time and can't get fired.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying that certain races gain preferential academic treatment over others in terms of grading and acceptance? That would be racism.

At my engineering school they got extra "forgiveness" of D grades and below.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO, that is called political correctness.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats messed up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
That's nothing, I once got a letter saying my Bursar's account was past due and they were going to hold my grades and report me to a collection agency.  The balance... $0.00.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats messed up.

Luckily my engineering school was shared between two colleges and the extra forgiveness people got degrees from the other school.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That's nothing, I once got a letter saying my Bursar's account was past due and they were going to hold my grades and report me to a collection agency.  The balance... $0.00.

Thats just confusing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd refuse to pay that shit and take it to trial!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Guess you should have done that extra credit.

Congrats on the GPA.  Blows mine out of the water.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like a mistake was made.  My fiancee had a 3.4 last semester and got a similar letter.  In this case, she was informed that she would be expelled at the end of the semester for not having enough Math or English credits.  

She's a transfer student.  Turns out some nitwit thought she was a Senior because so many of her previous credits from community college transferred over.  She actually just completed her second semester of her Junior year.  

My fiancee's academic advisor took care of the problem.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Academic Records in any school I've seen has always been by far the worst run office ever.

They lost a letter about a grant that would come in at the end of September six times before I just took it to them in person and told them to look at it and put it in my file so they wouldn't lose it again.

ETA: Some more fun I just remembered. One of my friends received a pay check for $0.00, he laughed and never cashed it.  Three months later he was sent another pay check along with a letter stating that the old one was now worthless, and if he lost this one he would be charged $30 for another check to replace it.  He emailed them and hung the check on his dorm door for all to see.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Go talk to Admissions and Records and tell them they made a mistake.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Might have better luck trying an advisor first.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you not seen Animal House?   The above quote is what the Dean says when he's talking about their horrible GPAs.  MrKandiyohi was just making a joke...

Dean Vernon Wormer: Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2 grade average. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Delta pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?
Flounder: Hello!
Dean Vernon Wormer: Zero point two... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? One point six; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu - MR. BLUTARSKY... ZERO POINT ZERO.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Exactly.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
No mistake was made.
This is what happens when you like guns.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Heck... I had a 4.0 and I was laughed at when I wanted to apply for a "Academic Scholarship", said it was based on need... not merit.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone else find this ironic?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read Michelle Obama's senior thesis?  It was posted here, I saved it because even Ronman could shit out a better narrative.  And his posts were more entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might have better luck trying an advisor first.  

I was going to see one this week anyway. The email also said I'd have to see an adviser because of my problem.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LAMO someone needs to see .....  What movie Arfcom??  Niedermeyer?? D-Day??

Did we give up when the German's attacked Pearl Harbor???
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you not seen Animal House?   The above quote is what the Dean says when he's talking about their horrible GPAs.  MrKandiyohi was just making a joke...

Dean Vernon Wormer: Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2 grade average. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Delta pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?
Dean Vernon Wormer: Zero point two... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? One point six; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu - MR. BLUTARSKY... ZERO POINT ZERO.

I have not seen animal house. I knew it was probably a quote though I wasn't quite sure how to take it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got a letter stating some BS like "all students must make satisfactory academic progress" and something to the effect that I have to finish my degree in less than 186 credits.

They then pointed out that I have 214 credits, and I have to fill out some form stating my "academic plan."

Nevermind that all but 17 of those 214 are from my previous undergrad/grad degree work, and that the newest 17 from last semester are for the nursing degree I'm working on now.

I'm convinced that my school has NO INCENTIVE to do anything efficiently or in any way intelligently, all because of the fact that:

1) they're the only game in town
2) state funding
3) federal funding
4) low admissions standards = tons of first-year flunk-outs from a certain demographic (KC/StL) with lots of grants/other aid

Oh well.

Note: said school is not the school portrayed in my avatar image. N = where I graduated from earlier.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Funny because it is all about making the check clear to the University.  Yes really.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LAMO someone needs to see .....  What movie Arfcom??  Niedermeyer?? D-Day??

Did we give up when the German's attacked Pearl Harbor???

I have a dry sense of humor sometimes, and I just leave off the smilies.

It was a joke.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I just got a letter stating some BS like "all students must make satisfactory academic progress" and something to the effect that I have to finish my degree in less than 186 credits.

They then pointed out that I have 214 credits, and I have to fill out some form stating my "academic plan."

Nevermind that all but 17 of those 214 are from my previous undergrad/grad degree work, and that the newest 17 from last semester are for the nursing degree I'm working on now.

I'm convinced that my school has NO INCENTIVE to do anything efficiently or in any way intelligently, all because of the fact that:

2) state funding
3) federal funding
4) low admissions standards = tons of first-year flunk-outs from a certain demographic (KC/StL) with lots of grants/other aid

Oh well.

Note: said school is not the school portrayed in my avatar image. N = where I graduated from earlier.

Truman?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2) state funding
3) federal funding

Oh well.

Truman?

Close, sort of.  Truman's the only game in town in Kirksville, but their academic standards are actually quite high.

Missouri Western.  It's the only school in NW Misery with a nursing program.  And in my dept's defense, it actually is a really good program.  Just some not-so-brights in admissions/registrars offices....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It ain't racism if its the truth
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It ain't racism if its the truth

Racism is the truth in America.  Just the polar opposite of what it was 40+ years ago, and slightly more subtle in nature.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would just write them a check for $0.00.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would just write them a check for $0.00.

I'd do this in a heartbeat!  Have fun trying to cash it boys.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not seen animal house. I knew it was probably a quote though I wasn't quite sure how to take it.

Well then...you DEFINITELY need to watch the movie.  You will gain great insight, young padawan into how your fathers made it through college back in the glory days of the early sixties!  

Not that any of us here belonged to a "...zoo of a fraternity" like Delta.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I dropped out of college when I could no longer afford to go, due to a bank error (I cashed a check and they put the money back in the payers account) my last payment to the university bounced. I was never notified by the university and didn't realize it while dealing with all the other fallout from that episode.

Fast forward to my tax return and they have garnished the payment from my refund. No problem, except now I start getting bills from them because they didn't add in interest for the month they garnished my return. I now owed them a balance of $1.92 with 2 cents a month of interest being added.

I decided to see how many statements they would send me (at a postage cost of 21 cents) to recoup their money. About 9 months later I was in Afghanistan and my CO saw the statement and kindly 'suggested' that I pay them.

I wrote a small letter ensuring I would never take a business class from them and that since I was currently in Afghanistan all I had to pay the outstanding balance of $2.12 was local currency. I stuffed about 20K Afghani's in the envelope and sent it off.

Never received another statement.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Unless you are Asian like me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I hope they weren't specializing in "Bridge Design".
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#48]
i got a letter from my university stating that my bursars account was overdue, and that they were submitting it to a collection agency if i din't pay in 5 days.

first i didn't enroll for any classes that semester and im like shit did i forget to pay tuiton from last semester?????

so i logged on and my balance due was 1.35

almost got kicked outa school cuz i couldn't afford 1.35
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I would have written a check for that exact amount.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You sir, should be on arfcomic probation!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top