Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 5:52:49 PM EDT
I have a set of studded tires that have been through three winters, will probably need a new set for this coming winter.

But I don't have a set of tires anymore for this summer. Has anyone ever pulled out the studs in their tires before?

What's the best way to do this???
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
needle nose pliers or a side cutter works well.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
+1. It's a PITA, though, you have to get the tips down into the hole to get a good grip.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I've does it a few times when I didn't have the cash for new tires. All you need are some pliers and elbow grease.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I just did mine a few days ago. I sprayed WD40 on each stud then took a smallish flat head screw driver with a 4" shank. Just reach down in there with the screw driver and twist it out.

I've heard of others using pliers but I must be an idiot because I could never make them work good enough regularly. The screw driver method was shown to me by a guy who worked at a local TDS and he removed them for a living. That was good enough for me.

Make sure you buy you a couple of beers before you start, and Good Luck!

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1. It's a PITA, though, you have to get the tips down into the hole to get a good grip.

What he said, I paid $5 a tire at the local Tire-Rama to get it done, money WELL spent
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done it with a flat head screwdriver before.  It's not fun, but you can do it.  

Just remember that once you run them without studs and get gravel up in the holes, you can't re-stud them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, if you got $20 - $35 pay to get it done.
If you need to school a youngster in seeing a tough job thru, give him the plyers and proper safety lecture.
If you have neither, use wd40 and long curved needle nosed, or side cutters if you have a steady hand.
Have fun and I would love to see an MS Paint of the story!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
No but I have cut the ground ticklers off new tires.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've done it with a flat head screwdriver before.  It's not fun, but you can do it.  

I switched to pliers because at least you don't stab yourself with pliers LOL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I switched to pliers because at least you don't stab yourself with pliers LOL

I don't remember stabbing myself, but I do remember getting some good blisters out of the deal.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Take a standard screwdriver. Six inch will do. Use a bench grinder to slightly round the edges at the end. Use a ball peen hammer to slightly cup the end. Drive the screwdriver along the edge of the stud until you feel the bottom, then twist a little until you get under the bast (a little like a .22 shell) and then pop up and out.

Tape your palm AND wear a work glove. After four tires, you'll be glad you did.

Oh, and deflate the tires, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top