Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:45:31 PM EDT
Some say yes, some say no.  

It seems like the .357 has a lot more power behind it, but i wonder if its wasted?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure some pressure is wasted in a revolver with a 2" barrel.  But get a .357 Mag revolver anyways so you can shoot .38 Special too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
In the same length barrel, 357 always beats 38.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been meaning to go shoot some 38 and 357 loads from my snubbies over my chronograph.

The velocity will be higher, I just don't know how much higher.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While this is technically true, the trade-off in muzzle blast and recoil is believed by many (including me) to be too high.

To really get the extra velocity and power of a .357 Magnum, you need a long barrel.

Otherwise, you just get very loud noises and a lot of recoil.

In a self defense situation that is a two edged sword.

While it is a nuisance to the shooter it is also a major psychological factor to the person you are shooting at  if perchance you should miss .
I would want the edge it can give you if my life was on the line .
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
As for the shorter bbl on the .357: there are some ammo companies making ammo that will make up for the difference. This is faster-burning ammo that is designed for short barreled revolvers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As for the shorter bbl on the .357: there are some ammo companies making ammo that will make up for the difference. This is faster-burning ammo that is designed for short barreled revolvers.

What brands?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While this is technically true, the trade-off in muzzle blast and recoil is believed by many (including me) to be too high.

To really get the extra velocity and power of a .357 Magnum, you need a long barrel.

Once again I agree with the good guy (op!)
My 2" carry gun (why else would you want a 2" gun?) is an air weight 38 and with 38+p it is all I want. Would a similar weight 357 gun have more power ,yes , but I don't feel I have the ability for multiple aimed shots in any kind of rapid fashion.
I shoot a 3" 629 44 mag (it is a heavy gun) fairly well and it snorts pretty good but the lightweight 357's are just plain nasty.

Now I have a l frame 686 with a 3" barrel that shoots well but it isn't real usefull for a carry gun with the full size grip frame and a full lug barrel.

Folks may buy and shoot what they want but I look on this current of supper lightweight
higher powered guns and can't but think they are one shot wonders because the average shooter is going to be so hurting after the first shot that further shots will be misses.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
A 2" .357 will make you go blind if fired at night.

Not very wise.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

While it is a nuisance to the shooter it is also a major psychological factor to the person you are shooting at  if perchance you should miss .

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think anyone could tell the difference on the receiving end.  Miss or a hit.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again I agree with the good guy (op!)
My 2" carry gun (why else would you want a 2" gun?) is an air weight 38 and with 38+p it is all I want. Would a similar weight 357 gun have more power ,yes , but I don't feel I have the ability for multiple aimed shots in any kind of rapid fashion.
I shoot a 3" 629 44 mag (it is a heavy gun) fairly well and it snorts pretty good but the lightweight 357's are just plain nasty.

Now I have a l frame 686 with a 3" barrel that shoots well but it isn't real usefull for a carry gun with the full size grip frame and a full lug barrel.

Folks may buy and shoot what they want but I look on this current of supper lightweight
higher powered guns and can't but think they are one shot wonders because the average shooter is going to be so hurting after the first shot that further shots will be misses.

Um, why not? I have a 2.5" M66(K frame) that I carry occasionally. It's not significantly smaller than an equivalent L frame. I'm not particularly well built for concealed carry, but it's easy enough to conceal.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably more worth it for the ability to shoot a wider variety of ammo than ballistic advantage.

I don't know what the odds are of finding yourself with a box of 357 and your snubby (that may or may not be able to shoot it) in some weird situation but it's possible.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not very wise.

yup, deaf too.

+p for me...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think anyone could tell the difference on the receiving end.  Miss or a hit.  
Yeah. In <2" barrels I just use regular .38s, not even P+

Shot placement and follow-up is a hell of a lot more important than the fps increase you'd get in +P or .357 mag (I'm talking out of my ass, but pretty sure about it )
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+p in an aluminum frame with small grips isn't really pleasant....and that was with hearing protection and during the day.... at night and /or without hearing protection- you may be startled by the difference. Seriously.

IIRC, you'd need at least a 4ich barrel for the .357 or +p to be worthwhile.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not very wise.

I've fired mine at night and had no such problem.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+p in an aluminum frame with small grips isn't really pleasant....and that was with hearing protection and during the day.... at night and /or without hearing protection- you may be startled by the difference. Seriously.

SP101 FTW
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't it Jeff Cooper who said, "..a short barreled .357 is nothing but a loud .38"?

HH
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SP101 FTW

I'd take the 3 inch .ver if I had a choice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

\
You could cook them with the muzzle blast at close range .
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag for Old_Painless's testing not gunstore jibba jabba.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always believed a 2'' .357 is just a hard kickin' .38 spl.   So i agree.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Performance of similar .38 and .357 rounds are nearly identical in gelatin and therefore in tissue.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#26]
With QUALITY hollowpoint rounds, i.e. Gold Dots or similar, out of a 2 inch gun, I think there is a definite difference in velocity, as well as recoil For most people, the .38 +P round will be every bit as effective, and will provide for much quicker followup shots. Two .38 JHPs are better than 1 .357, as long as all the rounds reach important parts of the bad guy.

With that said, my larger guns (S&W N frames, 4+ inch barrels) are loaded with .357 rounds, not .38 +Ps.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SP101 FTW

I'd take the 3 inch .ver if I had a choice.

I agree. I like my 2.25" version, but I wanted a 3" when I found this one. For ~$250 OTD, I wasn't going to pass this one up though. Eventually I'll get a 3".
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
With QUALITY hollowpoint rounds, i.e. Gold Dots or similar, out of a 2 inch gun, I think there is a definite difference in velocity, as well as recoil For most people, the .38 +P round will be every bit as effective, and will provide for much quicker followup shots. Two .38 JHPs are better than 1 .357, as long as all the rounds reach important parts of the bad guy.

With that said, my larger guns (S&W N frames, 4+ inch barrels) are loaded with .357 rounds, not .38 +Ps.

Any of my .357's that stay loaded are stoked with 125 grain SJHP magnum loads.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I went retro, from a 357mag S&W 640 2" to a 38spl Model 36 3". It is more shootable, which translates to better accuracy. If I feel the need, the old FBI load (38spl+P, 158 gr, LHP) is good PD round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top