Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2008 2:19:19 PM EDT

I was listening to some AM talk radio. They were ranting and raving about the presidential caidates , oil prices, etc. They shut down a ford plant that makes suv's and trucks because of lack of sales.  The fact that I drive 70 miles round trip and drive a v8 vehicle doesnt help either. Givin thats my own fault, but its paid for. I got a raise at work and it seems almost comical that it might cover the difference in gas. ahh yes Mr. negativity has come out today.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No, I feel the same way.  I get a 3% raise annually.  It doesn't even come close to covering the cost of living.  If the insurance and other benefits of my job weren't so good, I would have found something else to do.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No, not really.

People want the goobermint to have more control over them, and they're going to get it. Hopefully sometime after I'm gone, they will completely enslave themselves and reap what is currently being sown.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
No. I'll be dead, one way or another, before it really gets bad, or on it's way to getting that way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
not so much "depressed" as "frightened".
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a lot of faith we can pull through this however, I hope it doesn't get a lot worse before it gets better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm mostly disappointed in what far to many Americans have become, leeches and titty suckers of the highest order.

The Govt aims to please..........and eventually rule with an iron fist.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No. I'll be dead, one way or another, before it really gets bad, or on it's way to getting that way.

Not planning on having kids huh.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
the reality is, that it sucks.

Cut it, dice it, slice it. Anyway you look at it, it sucks.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

Unfortunately, I'm in my 30s, so I'm pretty damn sure I'm going to wind up seeing some hard times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a future?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#14]
With Obama as president and solid democrat majorites in both houses.....
.......YES VERY MUCH SO
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#15]
It seems to me that small business is getting the squeeze. they said today on the news that hundreds of truckers have gone out of business and Lord knows Construction is non existent.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Well duh....

I bet you could ask this question to any American..... Liberals, Conservatives, are both going to answer with a resounding "yes"
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Its not as much as depressed about where its going, its the fact that many of us remember how it was. The difference is scary.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 21.  I'm not planning on having kids until I'm in my 30's.  I'm pretty confident that if anything really bad is going to happen, it will happen by then.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 21.  I'm not planning on having kids until I'm in my 30's.  I'm pretty confident that if anything really bad is going to happen, it will happen by then.  

You do not get to always pick when you have kids, and you never get to pick when SHTF.

{unless you vote Democrat, then you get to pick both}
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, not at all.  Things will be what they will be, I will do what i can do to change what I can, and that's the end of that.  I think everything is gonna be just fine.  I really do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Its not as much as depressed about where its going, its the fact that many of us remember how it was. The difference is scary.

Deep thoughts from MrClean4Hire? It is the end times indeed. Sadly I have to agree with him.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#22]
depressed....no, ive been saying its only going to get worse for 10 years now. im actually surprised that society hasnt already broken down yet. so much of the population wants the situation here to change and they think that voting in one person is going to make it happen. I hate to tell them but its a group effort and if they really want CHANGE then they have to start with themselves and not depend on a single puppet in a chair.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

Besides, Americans get what they deserve.

I can only do so much to preserve liberty. If the masses wish to throw it away, then they do not warrant the sacrifices made and should be swept aside for more worthy citizenry...

Fuck 'em.

CPO US Navy (Retired)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No, I feel the same way.  I get a 3% raise annually.  It doesn't even come close to covering the cost of living.  If the insurance and other benefits of my job weren't so good, I would have found something else to do.

according to my econ class, you've been making the same thing each year. 3% just barely covers inflation
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Besides, Americans get what they deserve.

I can only do so much to preserve liberty. If the masses wish to throw it away, then they do not warrant the sacrifices made and should be swept aside for more worthy citizenry...

Fuck 'em.

CPO US Navy (Retired)

Thanks for your service CPO

I can understand your frustration
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Are you depressed about the future of the USA

Depressed about what, exactly?

You have the choice to prepare for what you think is coming or not.  Pay off debts, put away 6 months of food and water, get a more efficent car/furnace/etc,  learn some skills, get some friends with the same mindset, etc.  Plan a little bit ahead and the future is bright.

Vote and write some letters expressing what you want to your representatives also.

Other then effecting yourself there is nothing you can do about the future.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Kinda depressed, but mainly because I don't know what I want to do, and I'm having doubts about my future chosen career field (law enforcement or maybe military or law.)  I've kinda decided that the system is unbalanced, the emphasis does not appear to be on justice anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You have the choice to prepare for what you think is coming or not.  Pay off debts, put away 6 months of food and water, get a more efficent car/furnace/etc,  learn some skills, get some friends with the same mindset, etc.  Plan a little bit ahead and the future is bright.

Vote and write some letters expressing what you want to your representatives also.

wut?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Tell that to the founding fathers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#30]
America has peaked, nothing last forever. The gov. is too worried about
everybody elses backyard, and not cleaning up our own.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Deep thoughts from MrClean4Hire? It is the end times indeed. Sadly I have to agree with him.

Funny I remember my parents talking with my grandparents and their friends and them saying the same thing. Every generation laments the crumbling of our society and interestingly enough life is better now then in the 50s.

Especially if:

You weren't white

Had a disease that is either curable or at least treatable now

The Soviet Bear is no more which is what people liked to sit around and say would be the end of us.

I have read about groups in the 1800s claiming we were in the end times. Still here.

I am not the most optimistic person and I despise but I sure as hell don't see Obama as the end of our country.

We made it through WW2 we can make it through Obama.

Frankly some are kinda being babies about it. And guess what? Talk radio makes their money stirring up shit. They have no real credibility no one would listen to them if they sat around and said oh well if we let Obama win we'll have 4 yrs of Obama and we'll have another election in 2012 and if he sucks REALLY bad and the people hate him he will be replaced.

Nope that does get people listening every day. Firey commentary and arguments get ratings.

How did the GOP go from ahh DC sucks they don't effect me screw em. To OMG Obama will ruin us all runnnnnn...

If Obama causes the failure of this nation we deserve it. Personally I have a lot more faith in this nation and a lot less trust in talk radio wackos that make a living out of stirring you up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Tell that to the founding fathers.

So what exactly are you espousing?

Prices on everything are going to rise.  Your wages increase will not meet or exceed the rise in prices.  

What are you going to do about it?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

according to my econ class, you've been making the same thing each year. 3% just barely covers inflation

If they're telling you 3% is keeping up with COL you should ask for your money back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#34]
As a true no shit NIHILIST, I am watching this with a shit eating grin and a big bag o' popcorn

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#35]
We're fucked, and fucked hard.

We have carefully crafted our economic demise... the very economy that made America strong.

We're done for.  But, when?  2 years?  10 years?

- BG
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Kinda depressed, but mainly because I don't know what I want to do, and I'm having doubts about my future chosen career field (law enforcement or maybe military or law.)  I've kinda decided that the system is unbalanced, the emphasis does not appear to be on justice anymore.

Justice comes from morality, and we seem to have lost most of that in this country.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Fear not, the next stage is "acceptance".  You still can't in good conscience vote for any of the rat-bastards, but you've ceased caring and accepted the inevitable.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have a lot of faith we can pull through this however, I hope it doesn't get a lot worse before it gets better.

You know the old phrase "Getting what's coming to you?"  Here we go.  We've been acting like assholes for the past couple of generations, so it shouldn't be a surprise.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes.

The Republican party has gone from conservative to self-serving liberal

The culture of the USA is over run with people loyal to other nations, low education, no knowledge of USA history, and no understanding of what made America great.

Every major corporation is run by self-serving executives who will fill their pockets and have no quips about destroying the corporation and the American economy in the process.

Our politicians and our corporations have created growth and wealth in the most deadly communist nation in the world while destroying entire industries in the USA.

All three branches of the US government have taken no steps to protect intellectual property of inventors and businesses in the USA, our very life blood.

At least 1/3 of all Americans believe that it is bad for a company to earn a profit.

The vast majority of Americans believe that education, medical services, and retirement are an entitlement that we, as producers, are obligated to give them.

We have nearly signed everything over to the government and are becoming the very communists we spent years to defeat.

We have spend billions on programs that seek to get more funds and none of which fix the problem they are claiming to solve.

.......and it is all happening with the thunderous applause of college students, AARP members, and Union employees.

There is one Bible passage that comes to mind.

28Jesus turned and said to them, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children.
29For the time will come when you will say, 'Blessed are the barren women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!' 30Then
  " 'they will say to the mountains, "Fall on us!"
     and to the hills, "Cover us!" '[d] 31For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?"
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Funny I remember my parents talking with my grandparents and their friends and them saying the same thing. Every generation laments the crumbling of our society and interestingly enough life is better now then in the 50s.

Not quite the same.  It's like gang graffitti on some random downtown wall (in the past), but now it's on your fence and side of your house.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That's what I said in '72....I thought that it would be a miracle to make it to the year 2000 , well I'm still here it ain't over till its over.......saddle up were going to need you..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#43]
dp
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#44]
It will get worse, I dont expect chaos though
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I said in '72....I thought that it would be a miracle to make it to the year 2000 , well I'm still here it ain't over till its over.......saddle up were going to need you..

That's kinda what I was implying.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Puck, puck, puck.  Oh, that's chickens coming home to roost!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yes.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#48]
YES
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#49]
i'm not depressed, i'm eagerly awaiting the return of american idol next season
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#50]
nope not depressed at all.
i could lose my job right now.

i'd have a way to feed my family,keep them dry, and keep them safe.
really all you need. while it wouldnt be to some standards we'd be alright.

sides that,,im ready for the zombies,mzb's, obamabots  and hilldogs from hell....are you
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top