Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 12:54:36 PM EDT
I'm looking to pick up an air compressor this weekend (maybe next). I know that in picking one out, one should consider what kind of air tools will be used with it. My short list includes:

Die grinder
DA sander
Nail gun
HVLP gun (learning auto body work is on my list of things to do, shortly)
Impact wrench

It will *probably* remain stationary, as the only reason I can think to move it would be for the nail gun, and even then I could probably reach everything I'd ever use that for with a long hose. It's going to go in my new garage.

I'm not a professional, and this is only going to see occasional use. Think homeowner grade, here. I don't want crap, but I don't want to go overboard either. I haven't yet firmed up a budget, but if I can keep it under $1000 (max, and if I spend that, I'm going to be pissed) that'd be super.

Talk to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quincy Compressors

I've had great luck with Quincy, both with their commercial models for my business and their light duty stuff for home.  All of the models I have are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]

i found a Ridgid at a pawn shop , damn near new for $150 (lucky strike).

Has worked very well for me around the house.

Every thing you are wanting to attach to it will work just fine.

They are like $300 or so new at the box stores........then you have to buy all the toys to go with it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
2 Stage/240 volt. Everything else is just weak and won't run any autobody tools. DO NOT get an oil less compressor. Get the oil type. I've been doing bodywork and running air tools for over 25 years. As you were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get these type of compressors at Home Depot/Lowes/Fleet Farm/Tractor Supply.Around 750.00-800.00. Carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------134thSIGNAL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it easier to just ask what brands/models I should run away from?

Also, do I want/need a single/two stage? How much HP should I be looking at? How big of a tank? Average and/or continuous CFM?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
2 Stage/240 volt. Everything else is just weak and won't run any autobody tools. DO NOT get an oil less compressor. Get the oil type. I've been doing bodywork and running air tools for over 25 years. As you were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get these type of compressors at Home Depot/Lowes/Fleet Farm/Tractor Supply.Around 750.00-800.00. Carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Porter Cable/Sanborne/Husky etc. These are good brands. Menards sells Sanborne compressors and they work great. They are sleeved with a cast iron cylinder and aluminum housing. They cool down quick and run less. I would get at least  something that puts out 11cfm or better.

60 gal or 80 gal tank, its up to you. I would go with the 80 gal. because it recovers faster.

------------134thSIGNAL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And use good oil, too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And use good oil, too.

Yer talkin' to a moron, here. Define good oil.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Check Craigslist first.  You can find some pretty beefy units for cheap if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Compressor oil. You get it when you buy the compressor(comes in the compressor box). They also sell it at the home improvement stores, its marked "COMPRESSOR OIL". Carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------134thSIGNAL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And use good oil, too.

If you're using a new compressor, under warranty, use exactly what is specified by the manufacturer.

Once its out of warranty, run Amsoil Compressor Oil.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
First go to wall mart and get a cart....................................
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Ingersoll Rand  230V, single phase, two-stage pump
This one has a 60gal tank, there is also an 80 gal version.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The man speeks MUCH truth.  Stay away from the big tank/little pump units.

like this one. I have one similar.. not happy at all.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100083906&N=10000003+90401+524403

Just because it has a BIG tank means nothing for air supply. Just takes longer to refill.
You really need a 2 stage unit if your going to do any type of painting, blasting, grinding.

My buddy has one of these and it works flawless. Yes its Harbor Freight but his has performed quite well for years now. It would be the smallest I would go if I had to do it again.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93274
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
DO NOT forget to get a water trap(you can buy this stuff at the same store)or you will ruin your air tools.Get some tool oil also and run the drain(bottom of tank) out to the side so you can access it to drain the water that builds up in the tank.If you need to ask more info you can e-mail me

-----------134thSIGNAL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out eatoncompressor.com for nice compressor in OH. They are located a couple of hours from you, but I bought a nice portable compressor for a very reasonable sum.  They have bigger compressors that would probably meet your needs.  If you give them a call the owner will walk you through what you need.  He seemed to be a great guy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'll +1 that...   I used to sell them at Sears...   the one I wanted for myself was the Professional series belt driven.   Another advantage of that is that it is much, much quieter than the "oiless" ones.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Also, do I want/need a single/two stage? How much HP should I be looking at? How big of a tank? Average and/or continuous CFM?

A sandblaster will use the most cfm from a compressor, closely followed by something like an air sander. Both obviously will run air almost as fast as simply blowing it out straight from the tank. My apologies if you already know this.

For what you're wanting, at least an 80 gallon tank would be my suggestion & a 120 gal tank would be better. A 15-20hp unit will work just fine. A two stage will give you more pressure, quicker. Quincy makes a model 325/350 Series that are like old Harley's: they just run forever because they're low RPM. IR units typically run at a bit higher RPM & will eventually shake some parts loose and/or wear faster, IMO.

Following others, you'll need an in-line filter, a coalescing filter to remove moisture. Some run a by-pass that adds an in-line oiler for when you run an air wrench. An auto drain on your unit is also a good idea. Sometimes called a "blow-down valve", it can be set to blow out water every x-amount of minutes. This helps keep moisture out of your in-line filter as well, thus extending its life as well.

A would also suggest a magnetic starter for your electrical hook-up. This will prolong the life of your unit's motor as well. Figure another $250-300 for accessories, IMO.

My .o2  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And use good oil, too.

Sorry -- once it is run in (ask the manufacturer for hours), switch over to a synthetic compressor oil (Mobil makes a bunch, also folks like Amsoil, Red Line, and so on).  It will run cooler, longer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#20]
BIG - check the volume and pressure requirements.  Your $350 package is good for nailers,  etc.

You start getting into HVLP and sanders and you use a lot of air fast
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top