Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 11:47:31 AM EDT
I need to run some cords through a wall that has the traditional gray cinder block. I have a milwaukee 7.5 amp 1/2" chuck hammer drill at my disposal. Should I try the largest bit my drill can handle, which is a 3/4". Or should I get a 1/4" bit drill lots of little holes and punch out the center?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
.45 ACP twice?

j/k  Most hardware stores carry a full line of masonry bits for your drill.  I wouldn't drill smaller holes in a circle and punch it through.  Cinder blocks don't always break apart uniformally.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I need to run some cords through a wall that has the traditional gray cinder block. I have a milwaukee 7.5 amp 1/2" chuck hammer drill at my disposal. Should I try the largest bit my drill can handle, which is a 3/4". Or should I get a 1/4" bit drill lots of little holes and punch out the center?

Thanks!

Lots of little holes drilled into a larger circle slowly with a hammer drill, then tap out the center like with any other masonry. CMU's like to shatter, be careful.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
do it the ARFCOM WAY! acquire a weapon in the 23-25mm range and punch a hole in that wall...and everything behind it for a city block.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
cock pushups
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Lots of little holes drilled into a larger circle slowly with a hammer drill, then tap out the center like with any other masonry. CMU's like to shatter, be careful.

What is this today? home improvements 101?

I again agree with Patriot 73
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Eh, we got nothing better to do
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
cock pushups

1" Diameter???  

I feel bad for your SO if that's all you're packin unless of course your SO a guy.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Paint a picture of a woman on the wall and let GD loose on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a 1" masonry bit.

Go slow, don't overheat the drill.

Your drill will probably go through cinderblock without breaking a sweat, 1" might be pushing it in concrete, but cinder block isn't going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#11]
M791, 25 MM APDS-T.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What would you do if a block wall separated you from ARFCOM and wireless is a no-go option?

Quoted:
Buy a 1" masonry bit.

Your drill will probably go through cinderblock without breaking a sweat, 1" might be pushing it in concrete, but cinder block isn't going to be a problem.

Even though my drill is rated for 3/4" bits? This sounds to be the fastest solution, is the 3/4" rating for concrete and harder surfaces or something?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]
water drill
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Buy a 1" masonry bit.

+1.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Use a hammer. No, seriously. Just don't go crazy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Cost of the bit VS your time.

Is the price of the 1" bit so much, to make drilling alot of 1/4" holes worth the time?

Your drill will work great with a 1" bit on block.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Use a hammer. No, seriously. Just don't go crazy.

I have done this as well one shot...pow!....hole

But if he isn't careful he wont succeed the first time and get silly with repeated blows and weaken the block and it will crumble.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]
AK
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If its just one hole then use your 1/4 bit and then tap the center out. If its lots of 1" holes then invest in a 1" bit with a 1/2" shank.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
seriously, use a hammer to make the hole. its easy, and no extension cords/drills required.  tap where you want the hole, keep going, tapping a little harder each time.  use a hammer with a 1'' diameter head for 1'' hole.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's just a hole to pull wires, I would just knock it out with a hammer as well.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I drilled a hole through my foundation to run an external outlet.  I used a 2 ft drill bit on an impact drill.  I think that's what it was called.  I have a contractor friend that happened to have one and he said that was all I needed.  

If you don't have the right equipment, go rent it or you may wish you had.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
1/2" Masonry bit 1 shot no problem, won't even be hard

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
seriously, use a hammer to make the hole. its easy, and no extension cords/drills required.  tap where you want the hole, keep going, tapping a little harder each time.  use a hammer with a 1'' diameter head for 1'' hole.

+1 I do this all the time for getting high voltage to a ac unit.

A one inch bit will have you digging it out anyway when you run sealtite or conduit through it.

It's going to get caulked or sealed up, a 1/4 in larger isn't going to hurt if you miss on the first try.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I did that last weekend. My wife wanted another water spigot so I chain drilled the 1" hole with a 1/4" bit after drilling straight through the block, I cross drilled the holes then tapped the plug with a hammer.

Cake.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#27]
My old man was a  cement mason for years,he used a hammer,regular claw and hit it center on either side couple good raps of an imagained  center line on a 16" block which is where the thinnest part is.Went to the other side and did same.It makes about a one inch hole.Only works well on a block in the wall already
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I would think that a phased plasma rifle in the 40watt range would be perfect.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My old man was a  cement mason for years,he used a hammer,regular claw and hit it center on either side couple good raps of an imagained  center line on a 16" block which is where the thinnest part is.Went to the other side and did same.It makes about a one inch hole.Only works well on a block in the wall already

I'm a mason.  The direct center of a concrete block is the web of the block and it is solid and the strongest part of the block.  

Like has been said just use a hammer and if you can try and put the hole right at the bed joint of 2 blocks.  This will make it much harder to shatter the block.  I just hope your not trying to go through a poured cell.

It's very easy you don't need to buy anything.  I do it all the time.  It takes about 5 seconds.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#31]
 If you want to be cheap about it use a roto- hammer like the others suggested. But a core drill is the best way to do it. You can rent one or you can call a concrete cutting company to come do it for you.

BTW I am a concrete cutter.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#32]
25mm depleted uranium round?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Do it all the time for Gas piping, Hammer drill, carbide cement 1" bit, let drill and bit do it's job at it's own pace. Easy, It'll chew thru it with no problem at all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I think the important question is now, where is the hole in relation to your cinder block?...

I think I would just go get a damn 1" bit to drill a 1" hole...

...but Im a simply guy like that.

The hammer trick is also effective.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I tried the 1" bit, but used a 5/16" to drill a drill a pilot hole and make sure there was nothing behind..... one problem I couldn't find the hollow part of the cinder block . The hardest part is the wall is covered with dry wall. I found the edge of the block, so I moved about 2" left of it, and drilled and got no where, from what I could tell i was over 1 1/4" in the block and it was still solid. My only guess was I was to close to the bottom of the block.

I gave up for the night, I had other stuff to do, so I figured I would do that later.

Any tips on finding the hollow part of the block?

Thanks for all the help so far, others with their sarcastic remarks (you know who you are) have way to much time on you hands

ETA: Yes I know there are some hollow blocks because there is a hole in the block one up for some phone lines.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#36]
it might not be hollow after all.  sometimes it is filled with grout to make it stronger.  if so, rent a hammer drill.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
AK

Hey wants a little hole, not a pile of rubble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top