Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:25:23 PM EDT
I'm currently in the process of building what is hopefully our last home.  I guess I'm what some might call a "gourmet" as I love to cook and really enjoy fine foods/wines/etc..

I just got a bid for some appliances for the kitchen from a local dealer.  I asked for a quote on the Wolf 48" dual fuel range, Sub-Zero 700TR All Refrigerator and 700TF All Freezer, and a few other things.  I knew this stuff was expensive, but I didn't know they cost as much  as a new Mercedes.

I could put these appliances in but I would have to severely cut my budget in other areas of the house.  In my thinking, the kitchen is the center of the home and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.  

Am I nuts to go with these brands?   What say you?  I do realize this is GD, but if it at all humanly possible, I hope that everyone will keep it civil.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm tempted to put in a crack about Wolf ammo, but I won't.

Sorry I can't help.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
While I am a fan of good stuff, the prices I've heard for this stuff are ridiculous. It's a REFRIGERATOR, for Pete's sake!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm tempted to put in a crack about Wolf ammo, but I won't.

Sorry I can't help.

No problem, thanks for stoppin' in!!

ETA: Thread title changed to cut down on "Wolf" confusion.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My $500 fridge has lasted 10 years so far.

Do the math

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up the 42" kitchenaid built in with the french doors and bottom freezer. I love it. I couldn't see paying an extra 1-2k for the sub z. I know what Dr Frige will say but it still rocks. I've got a 48" DF Wolf on order 6 burners and chargrill. Yeah, it's too much money but it is one nice stove. I locked it in back in Dec. before the prices jumped.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.

Take any common object.

Throw it out.

Replace it with the same thing but costing 3X as much.

Success!

Look! A shiny metal object! Let's follow it!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a SubZero in my house in NY.  The thing is going on 33 years, and I've NEVER have had a problem.

If my house here in CO ever needs a SubZero, I won't hesitate to buy one here.

Heed the old saying:

Cry once.

ETA:  Plus, I would say that the price range of the house, and the neighborhood would further warrant a Sub Zero over another crappy brand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If you like to cook, spend the money on the stove/oven. Thats the part you need. Save money on the fridge. jmo
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My neighbor has a Sub-zero box.  It has pretty small capacity inside compared to a regular 'frdge. Today there is a rage going of putting in commercial looking equipment into home environment. Most of the commercial stuff is way too big for a home kitchen, so it has to be scaled down a bit to fit into a home kitchen, even a fairly large home kitchen.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just picked up the 42" kitchenaid built in with the french doors and bottom freezer. I love it. I couldn't see paying an extra 1-2k for the sub z. I know what Dr Frige will say but it still rocks. I've got a 48" DF Wolf on order 6 burners and chargrill. Yeah, it's too much money but it is one nice stove. I locked it in back in Dec. before the prices jumped.

The DF Wolf that you ordered is the exact unit I'm looking at.  Right now I have Jenn-Air appliances, and yes, they have worked fine for 6 years.  I could also buy about 6 Jenn-Air refrigerators for the price of one Sub-Z.  I like the fact that they are made in the US.  They are hand made actually and are built like tanks.  I have limited time using some of the the Sub-Z stuff and a Wolf stove at some cooking schools and I have to say that I am hooked for the most part.  The Wolf stoves are amazing.  Who cares if they're as big as a Volvo and costs as much.  When I die, they can bury me in it!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes.

Take any common object.

Throw it out.

Success!

Have you ever used either of the brands in question or is this just your philosophy of life?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do the math

My grandmother has one thats lasted over 40 years, I wonder what it cost
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the math

A fridge or an icebox?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My neighbor has a Sub-zero box.  It has pretty small capacity inside compared to a regular 'frdge. Today there is a rage going of putting in commercial looking equipment into home environment. Most of the commercial stuff is way too big for a home kitchen, so it has to be scaled down a bit to fit into a home kitchen, even a fairly large home kitchen.

The 700TF and the 700TR are both over 15 cu. ft.  I think that should be adequate.  The Sub-Z line is a bigger box for the same capacity, but is that necessarily a bad thing?  Currently the kitchen is going to be somewhere around 15x16 but open on one end to a hearth room that is 15x18.  The open space then is close to 34 feet so I don't think it will "look" cramped.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the math

A fridge or an icebox?

Its not frost free but its a fridge
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a SubZero in my house in NY.  The thing is going on 33 years, and I've NEVER have had a problem.

Heed the old saying:

Cry once.

ETA:  Plus, I would say that the price range of the house, and the neighborhood would further warrant a Sub Zero over another crappy brand.

Thanks for a first hand review.  Reliability is really my major concern.  It isn't the cost so much as long as the quality is there.  I just don't know that many people who have first hand experience living with these brands over several years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Heed the old saying:

Cry once.

that can be any fridge, its not a fucking super complicated fucking device.

Jesus.

Good feedback though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the math

A fridge or an icebox?

It's amazing how well they built things back then. Now stuff falls apart after 15 minutes of light use.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the math

A fridge or an icebox?

My parents still have an old Philco.  I remember using it when I was a kid 35 years ago.  It was old then.  It has the old style latch that actually locked the door closed.  None of that magnet stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the math

A fridge or an icebox?

It's amazing how well they built things back then. Now stuff falls apart after 15 minutes of light use.

Yea its still running, its needed paint a few times though
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
It's one thing to have a stove that heats quickly, or has a grill, or extra burners or whatever, but fancy refridgeration in a home is the biggest ripoff out there.

You're just keeping things cold. A nice $1000-1500 frigde can do it just as well as a $4000+ one can.

Spend your money where it'll make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]
The stoves are exceptional.  Heavy as hell, but exceptional.  If I had the cash for the stove I'd do it.

The fridge on the other hand, I'd probably svae some cash.

just my .02
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#23]
worth it... they look cool and as others have pointed out, massively overbuilt. The subzero has two compressors...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The stoves are exceptional.  Heavy as hell, but exceptional.  If I had the cash for the stove I'd do it.

The fridge on the other hand, I'd probably svae some cash.

just my .02

Thanks for the input.  I tend to agree.  I have been reading all sorts of reviews and I don't think there is a refrigerator made that isn't hated by someone.  It sounds to me as if it's a crap shoot no matter what brand you go with in regards to "quality".

One thing I liked about the Sub-Z line is the built-in capability.  I really like that look in the kitchen.  I know Kitchen Aid offers some options for built-ins but the prices on those units aren't that much less than the Sub-Z's.  So I guess I have to decide if the built-in look is worth the $$ not the refrigerator.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#25]
We have a Wolff cooktop. Love it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Bosch  FTW!

Bosch is to Sub zero
what Glock is to Smith and Wesson
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the Bosch dishwasher for sure.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heed the old saying:

Cry once.

that can be any fridge, its not a fucking super complicated fucking device.

Jesus.

Good feedback though.

Neither are vacuums, stoves, or cars even.  There is crap out there, and then there is quality.

I prefer to buy quality, and buy it once and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Got a Sub Zero fridge and a separate wine cooler.  

I love them both and would re-buy them in a heartbeat.  Only had them a year - bu t thhey are running like champs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

TRUE DAT

Awesome dishawasher

We just bought the Bosch titanium and white dual fuel convection oven. The wifes PIE is even sweeter!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife and I opted for Kitchenaid over Sub-Zero... and couldn't be happier.

We would consider going Wolfe for the range/oven, should we have to replace our current setup.

We're planning on replacing our current dishwasher with a Bosch.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Used to deliver them for a friend who was an appliance wholesaler.

From the things I heard... not worth the money.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I run a 36" DCS commercial, purchased from a wholesaler.  It was purchased before such things were as popular as a Prius.  I have hosted some very large gatherings and have never wanted for more.  Many folks purchase things they lack the skills to utilize in an effort to keep up with the 'joneses'. Don't buy a high dollar look alike just to be stylish.  Wolf didn't make vents when I bought my stove, Vent-a-hood was the one and it will still make my doors hard to close from the vaccum produced.  

My main reason for needing the BTUs was for multiple batch beer brewing and it has served me well.

I don't have a Sub Zero frige, but if my current one fails, I will probably buy one or a close competitor.  My main basis for this purchase would be lacking any budget.

If you are on a budget, build all the house you can.  Upgrade the appliances later.  

I pray that every payment you make won't be one step away from foreclosure......

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm actually looking at Dish Drawers and I don't believe Bosch makes any.  

I've got a quote for the Fisher & Paykel dishdrawer and it seems reasonable.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Something else to consider: Fridges tend to undergo continual improvements in energy efficiency. A 20-year-old fridge - no matter how well-built it is - is an energy pig in comparison to a current model of similar size (even if you don't factor in the natural decline in efficiency as a fridge ages). There's no reason not to expect this trend to continue in the future.

So, I'd rather buy a brand-new, relatively inexpensive fridge every 10 years for the next half -century than spend the same money on one high-dollar fridge that will probably eat up several more new fridges worth of excess energy consumption over its lifespan.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#36]
SUB-ZERO has a terrible reliability rating.......check out Consumer Reports.  The people that buy them are buying the name  and they can afford to fix them.......they used to be reliable - 20 years ago.....Wolff range sure its good but others are just as....don't buy unless you are a real cook...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Traulsen fridge
Vulcan ovens
Jade ranges
Thermidor cooktop
cheap double stack convection ovens..you will only get 7 years out of them
good microwave
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Traulsen fridge
Vulcan ovens
Jade ranges
Thermidor cooktop
cheap double stack convection ovens..you will only get 7 years out of them
good microwave

I don't like the wall ovens.  Whatever I get, it'll be a range/oven combo.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
SUB-ZERO has a terrible reliability rating.......check out Consumer Reports.  The people that buy them are buying the name  and they can afford to fix them.......they used to be reliable - 20 years ago.....Wolff range sure its good but others are just as....don't buy unless you are a real cook...

I did. I don't know what you read, but what I saw stated they didn't have enough data to include reliability ratings for Sub-Z built ins.  I don't quite agree that the Sub-Z has a "terrible" reliability rating, they do mention some models have been repair prone.  But that holds true for every maker.  The reviews of the individual refrigerators place them pretty solidly in the top half of makers of built-in type units and they are actually cheaper than some of the offerings from GE, Maytag, and a few others.

I just wish that all of them were much less expensive and that there were more predictability of reliability across an entire line.  Again, after reading through all this stuff it sure seems to me that whether or not you get a good refrigerator is somewhat dependant on luck regardless of who made it.  Quite disappointing really.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Look at Pritzer Painter (sp?) for stoves.  They bought out Garland's home line and those were arguably the best on the market.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I perform warranty service for both WOLF and SUB-ZERO

used to sell for WOLF

also owned a appliance store.

WOLF and SUBZERO are excellent products ...ARe they work the $ ??? NO !

HELL NO!

SUBZERO AND BOSCH are way overrated . WOLF .....Not so much .

If you are looking already to buy these product then cut in other areas of the budget....then just forget it.

MY 2 cents.

Heck if you could get it moved I have a 36" wolf dual fuel with a optional tall back splash sitting in my garage. 5 years old and maybe used a few dozen times.

Retails for 10,000$

you can have it for 1000$
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:36:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't know about wolf, my parents have a subzero that has run without any maintenance or problems for 17 years and is still going.  I've never seen kenmore do that in my house.

My current house has mostly the GE stainless steel stuff, and the mechanicals (compressors, etc) are not nearly the subzero, but the price was a hell of a lot better.  We did spring for the viking cooktop (gas) after watching a chef melt chocolate chips on a paper plate with a gas burner... They are very controllable.

My parents just build a new house and put a different (non-subzero) fridge in - Thermador I think - It has seperate compressors for freezer/fridge, so it is supposed to last longer and be more efficient...  They have only had it a few months so the jury is out there.

Personally, when I built my house, I tried to go top level on windows, doors, ceilings/floors, exterior.  Appliances and fixtures are easy to upgrade later.  Then again, when I say we built our house, we actually did the hammering, concrete, everything....  That saved a lot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

Take any common object.

Throw it out.

Success!

Have you ever used either of the brands in question or is this just your philosophy of life?

Consumerism is psychic poison, spiritual death incarnate.

The current obsession with creature comforts and super-premium appliances is beyond comprehension.  It's so overdone that it's pathetic.

PS -

It doesn't take $4,000 to make a reliable appliance.  The $4,000 is for your self esteem.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I've had a Dacor Epicure range for about 4 years.  It came with the house when I bought it, but I doubt I would replace it or buy a new one.  It's fine, and I'm satisfied, but is it 10x as good as a cheaper range?  Hell no.  A gas burner is a gas burner, for fuck's sake.  Does the oven cook faster?  Not much.  It's got convection bake and convection, but so do cheaper ovens.    

I chose not to buy a Sub-Zero refridgerator because I hate the way the door sucks itself shut when it first closes.  If you want back in, you have to fight to get it open until a few seconds have gone by.  IT'S MY FOOD!  LET ME HAVE IT!  Instead, I've got a GE Arctica.  I'll ditch it in a few years for something similar when the icemaker bites the dust.

I will say that putting a Wolf or Viking in the kitchen will GREATLY help the selling power of the house.  People want that kind of thing, and an expensive range makes it show better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Thermador makes nice appliances as well.

I have a whole kitchen I'll sell ya!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#46]
No, sub zero's are a sign of affluence like a Hummer or designer jeans. A GE will keep your food just as cold.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#47]
According to Consumer Reports, SubZero is one of the lowest-quality refrigerators on the market.  About 25% need repair work before they are five years old.  By comparison, only about 6% of Whirlpool and Kitchenaid units needed repair in that time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#48]
+1 for Kitchen Aid....I have constantly heard from numerous "appliance people" that Kitchen Aid is good to go.  I have also consistantly heard that Sub Zero isn't what it used to be, but it truly was awesome back in the day.  My KA d/w and rangetop at my old house were great and I just ordered more KA stuff for the foreclosure I just bought
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#49]
I say go for it.  If it's stuff  that's known to last, then what do you have to lose?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I had a Sub-Zero fridge at my old house and it worked great and never gave me any problems. From what I know, it is still working for the new owners. My current house I put in a comparable size fridge from GE that cost considerably less, and though it keeps things cold, in 7 years it has already needed two repair visits for the compressor and a new ice maker.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top