Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2001 10:03:12 AM EDT
Why is it different manufactures have such a difference when it comes to warranties?

Three years seems to be pretty common but then you have S&W who have a lifetime warranty.

I just sent in a pre-sellout revolver for it's free inspection and cleaning, the finish had also come off part of the gun.  I bought it used but it came with a warranty card that wasn't filled out.  The finish came off for the previous owner.  It looked like he left it out in a vehicle for a couple of years.

Anyway, S&W sent me a letter telling me that they were going to replace my gun because the finish had come off.

Why can't more manufactures offer warranties like this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
ArmaLite has an excellent lifetime warrantee for the original owner.  They try very hard to keep their customers happy.

S&W is also trying very hard to keep their dwindling customer base happy.  They make some good handguns.  They just made a bad deal and don't deserve the grief they've been given.  Now all you "Boycott S&W" crowd, if you are calling for the death of S&W, you are acting as a pawn of HCI and the anti-gunners who would like nothing better than to see a gun maker go out of business, especially if we kill it ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Swire, I learned the hard way that shooting military ammo in an Oly. will void your warranty. Ill choose wisely next time.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
But can you still use the Winchester ammo that is mil-spec in an OLY???  
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
SWIRE, Did you see the link about the Det News writer that you were talking about last week? Scroll down to my post "Need a little help"
Ron
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Taurus USA has the best warranty in the world. They will take care of anything except the sights, in my experience.

Link Posted: 3/6/2001 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Warranties mean NOTHING, unless the manufacturer stands behind them.  S&W will, Taurus will, Ruger will, and they don't even have a warranty. In my experience, H&K does NOT!
idaho-ar15,
A military spec rifle, losing the warranty over mil spec ammo?  That's sad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
David M.

It is a real shame indeed. You'd think a military style rifle would shoot military ammo but I guess not. Maybe they should start building airsofts instead!!  I snapped a bolt in half and was using military LC ammo. A kind gentleman by the name of Stokes on this board promptly replaced it. The only thing oly said was that I voided my warranty but I could send it to them and they would look at it. I'd rather take my chances and keep my rifle that send it to those monkeys.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger does not provide ANY warranty.
They do, however have excellent customer service , and usually dont charge for repairing obviouse manufacturing defects.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
ruger doesn`t have any STATED warranty. that means responsibility is an open issue, and the main purpose is to keep them out of court. they DO,however, know how to treat a customer! that keeps them in business. pretty wise i.m.h.o.!
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
No semi-automatic AR15-type rifle is milspec.  Period.  And last I heard, they were chambering their barrels for .223 Remington, not a good thing when shooting M193 Ball.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dave G:
No semi-automatic AR15-type rifle is milspec.  Period.  And last I heard, they were chambering their barrels for .223 Remington, not a good thing when shooting M193 Ball.
View Quote

That may be true, but in my gun safe, there is a Bushy. On that Bushy's barrel it says:  [b]B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR[/b]
Who's full of it?
Sheesh, even a Mini-14 can shoot mil spec ammo. It's in the manual.  Usually it is .223 bolt action rifles that have trouble with M193.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Dave G

My Oly salad shooter says 5.56.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
David M,

The ".223 Remington" Mini-14 is built with a 5.56mm military chamber.  It's rifles that have SAAMI spec'd .223 Remington chambers that have problems with true 5.56mm military ammunition.  

Just because your Bushy's barrel says "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR" does not mean it conforms to milspec.  In fact, because it has a 1/9 twist barrel and is semi-automatic only, it cannot conform to current M16 milspec.  Now most of the rifle is built to milspec standards, but you ar kidding yourself if you think the military would accept that rifle for anything other than marksmanship training.

idaho-ar15,

They can mark anything they want on them.  Normally reliable members of this forum checked with Oly and were told their rifles were chambered for .223 Remington.  It appears that some manufacturers still don't know the difference between 5.56mm military/NATO and .223 Remington chamber specs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Dave G, what I am concerned about is that there are far more gun owners not on the net to access info as there are on the net. How many do you suppose are shooting military ammo through their commercial guns?? Alot I would bet. It never crossed my mind to check with oly on the compatibility until I blew the bolt out of the rifle. I admit neglagence on my part for that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#18]
My thoughts, exactly.  But, I believe that the M16s do have a different throat configuration than the AR.  I thought that this was for reliability with extended firing and no cleaning.  The additional freebore would allow for a higher PSI cartridge.
The point is, if it can't handle 5.56 Nato, they shouldn't put it on the barrel!
Who has a definitive answer?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Well FWIW ArmaLite used to be chambered for .223 Remington and is now 5.56x45 but they also will tell you either round can be used in either chamber. .223 has a lower tolerance is all.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]
GarryOwen,

(Great song, by the way)...Ain't my BS.  I am informed that Oly barrels are marked 5.56 and actually chambered for SAAMI .223 Remington.

Idaho,

It's not negligence on your part if Oly marks it 5.56 and chambers it for .223.  A shooter should have a reasonable expectation that an AR15-type rifle marked 5.56mm should fire 5.56mm ammunition without a problem; match grade rifles excepted.

David M.,

The throat of the 5.56mm military chamber has greater freebore due to a longer, shallower taper as you indicated.  Colt AR15s with milspec-type barrels (chrome-lined and 1/7 or 1/9 twist) should have the 5.56mm chamber if it is marked so.

GSG9,

The ArmaLite match and stainless barrels are still .223 Remington.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Very true Dave. My OLY is marked 5.56 on the barrel but has a SAAMI spec chamber. I'm really considering replacing it with a Bushy barrel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
dave g; so then what do you believe is the mfg`s primary criteria for marking the bbl`s as thay do? do you think that it could be based on what they believe the end user might be feeding it? is it something that the general shooting public (so to speak) need to be seriously concerned with? let`s face it, gets confusing/interesting. i thought that as long as you used decent commercial rounds in a commercially sold rifle, and experienced no unexpected(minor) problems, things were o k ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top