Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2008 8:04:55 PM EDT
How many of you hated boot camp, MCT, but loved MOS school?

I'm out here working on Tracks off and on, waking up early, working until 1600, then doing whatever I want...

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of it.  

OSUT = Your Basic Training Is Really Fucking Long And You Will Hate Life

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the OSUT.

As an MP, I had 17 weeks of basic training pretty much.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, for what it's worth, there was a company of 19K OSUT types (week 7) at the ZZ-Top concert tonight. They enjoyed themselves. According to the Drill Sergeants, they had been instructed to do something 'downtime'-related, and I think the DSs liked ZZ Top anyway. At least, they enjoyed the show as well.

Still, they were separated from the crowd, had to keep behind a certain line, and were told how much they were permitted to cheer. Of course, when women started flashing them, cheer discipline went out the window.

I never got to see breasts at Basic...

NTM
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm out here working on Tracks off and on, waking up early, working until 1600, then doing whatever I want...

Must be a Marine thing.  In the Army, the first month was just like BCT, only we went to the messhall as individuals.  I missed my first supper as I had been unpacking, making my wall locker squared away.  Fortunately, there was a gut truck that swung by, filling the need.

After the first month, we got to wear civies and go to the PX.  A week later, we got weekend passes BUT we had to get inspected Friday night in our dress greens AND we had to wear the dress greens.  But that was a benefit as when I was at a major mall in MD, this man in a dark suit comes up to us and asks if we wanted to meet the PRESIDENT.  Yeah, the BIG MAN.  This was 21 years ago.  

No, we DIDN'T have any cameras but it made the news.  And the Drill Sergeant?  He shit a brick when he saw the footage.  Then he said something like "see why I inspect my troops before they go on pass?".
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What is your MOS and where is the school?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
couldn't hack the infantry?  jumping outta planes scares ya?  WTF?, over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've always heard that Marines don't get to pick their jobs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true except for the 'Every Marine a rifleman part'
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

I don't really know how I could clarify my already concise statement any further.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

I don't really know how I could clarify my already concise statement any further.

You get to pick what field you want, and then they assign you an MOS.  I chose infantry and 0311.  I got my wish!
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
YOu get to pick what field you want, and then they assign you an MOS.  I chose infantry and 0311.  I got my wish!

Was "Infantry" the Field or was it "Combat Arms"?

The Marine/Navy/Army recruiters always told me that the Marines cannot guarantee a job at enlistment but the Navy and Army could.  I never talked to the Airdales so I don't know how they work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
it is wrong

I guess I fucked up where most do:  I trusted the word of Recruiters.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

YOu get to pick what field you want, and then they assign you an MOS.  I chose infantry and 0311.  I got my wish!

Yup.  I chose 03 open and when I got to the school of infantry, I picked 31 which is machinegunner.

Are you possibly confusing not having a choice with people picking "open contract" which basically takes someone who doesn't know wtf they want to do and assigns them wherever the Corps sees fit?  
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

I don't know about these days, but 25 years ago, you chose a general field and your specialty was assigned later, depending on a number of factors.

For example, I chose the 6000 field which then was Aviation Maintenance. I was assigned the MOS of 6076 which was Aviation Support Equipment Technition (Hydraulic/Pneumatic/Structures). These days, it's 6072. I repaired/operated equipment used to handle and maintain Marine Corps aircraft of all types. My school was 18 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

I don't know about these days, but 25 years ago, you chose a general field and your specialty was assigned later, depending on a number of factors.

For example, I chose the 6000 field which then was Aviation Maintenance. I was assigned the MOS of 6076 which was Aviation Support Equipment Technition (Hydraulic/Pneumatic/Structures). I repaired/operated equipment used to handle and maintain Marine Corps aircraft of all types. My school was 18 weeks.

Maybe that's what the hell they were talking about.  Army you choose specifically at the signing of your contract whereas with the Marines you choose the Field with the MOS assigned or chosen later.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

+2

I had a contract for 6413 avionics tech (......oh so many years ago). As long as you remained qualified for the MOS, it was a sure thing.

You could go open contract, and then they would pick a MOS for you. I knew people who got technical MOS's from going open contract, based on their test scores and needs of the Corps.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Marine/Navy/Army recruiters always told me that the Marines cannot guarantee a job at enlistment but the Navy and Army could.  I never talked to the Airdales so I don't know how they work.

It was infantry.  IIRC it was called the UH infantry option.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

Yep.  At dinner last night, a kid came in after his high school graduation to chat with his coworkers, heard him saying that this graduation wasn't the one he was looking forward to, it was graduating Boot Camp he was looking forward to :-)  Said he had 0300 and Recon in his contract.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

Yep.  At dinner last night, a kid came in after his high school graduation to chat with his coworkers, heard him saying that this graduation wasn't the one he was looking forward to, it was graduating Boot Camp he was looking forward to :-)  Said he had 0300 and Recon in his contract.

Thats only possible for a reservist.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

Explain, please.  USMC Reserves is something I've been looking at strongly.  Why is that only an option for a reservist?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

0300 Infantry Option (UH) does not guarantee recon.  To be eligibile: 105GT, normal color perception, U.S. Citizenship, and 1st class swim/pft.  You can volunteer when you're at SOI.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

Correct.  He is wrong.  I chose an aviation support MOS, and it was between Crash Fire Rescue and Ordnance, I got Ordnance.  

Eta:  To the OP, yes, MOS school is awesome, but what until you get to the fleet, it goes back to suck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some programs (i.e. contracts or job guarantees whatever you want to call it) are for specific MOS's and some lump different MOS's together.

The only way to get Infantry contracted is to sign an Infantry program contract.  You will be given one of the 03xx MOS's.

Combat Arms Program is Tanks, Amtracks, Combat Engineers, or Artillery.  You will be given an MOS out of one of those fields.

There's multitude of different programs.

Aviation Electronics-  Can't guarantee which airframe you will work on but you will work on aviation electronics.

Legal/Admin=  01xx field

etc. etc. etc.

If Army and Navy recruiters spent as much time telling their applicants about their own service vice spreading misinformation about, or badmouthing that which they will never
be, they would probably find they would make their contracting goals more often.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#26]
my first MOS was OSUT. sucked balls. no passes, no civvies, no cd players, no candy, just like basic.

but when i went for my second MOS, maybe it was because im prior service and was in a different spot, but it was badass.

fucking privates were little pieces of shit though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Camp Del Mar I presume?

From what I've seen of it, that school house is pretty nice.

How much longer you have there?  Know where you're going next?  Across the street?

The Marine Corps is ups and downs. Sometimes it really sucks and sometimes it's really great.  When you look back on it, the suck times are usually the most memorable.

Most of the time you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Wouldn't trade my 23+ yrs in it for anything.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I was Army.  My AIT was pretty sweet.

8 weeks of basic then a bus ride down to Ft. Gordon for 9 months of SATCOM training.  We were considered permanent party so POVs and such were allowed.  Married guy and gals were even able to live off post with their spouses.  

Jump school was cool too.  Bust ass all day then head to the shopette for a pitcher of swill and some pizza. It was also pretty funny seeing the E1s from the hill locking into parade rest for E2s.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#29]
It must be fuckin' nice.

There's the Marine Corps, and then there's the infantry, they're two totally different animals.

Are you hiring?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I was Army.  My AIT was pretty sweet.

8 weeks of basic then a bus ride down to Ft. Gordon for 9 months of SATCOM training.  We were considered permanent party so POVs and such were allowed.  Married guy and gals were even able to live off post with their spouses.  

Jump school was cool too.  Bust ass all day then head to the shopette for a pitcher of swill and some pizza. It was also pretty funny seeing the E1s from the hill locking into parade rest for E2s.

CHRIS

how long ago? i was ast gordon for reclass last year. im guessing you were a 25P or some crazy crap with a long-ass school. fuck that mess.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
how long ago? i was ast gordon for reclass last year. im guessing you were a 25P or some crazy crap with a long-ass school. fuck that mess.

It was a while back. '96-'97.  My old MOS was 31S before the change several years ago.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I loved my MOS school what could be better than call for fire and blowing shit up as a 19 yr old?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

it is wrong

Explain, please.  USMC Reserves is something I've been looking at strongly.  Why is that only an option for a reservist?

He lied Recon is not something that is put in a contract. You have to "try out."

ETA not sure about reserves. I don't think even in reserves you can get a contract guarantee for Recon mos.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I loved my MOS school what could be better than call for fire and blowing shit up as a 19 yr old?

doing it as a 17 year old?

13F OSUT, Ft sill 2003
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

13F OSUT, Ft sill 2003

LOL true...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I loved my A School and C School was alright.  A school was 6 weeks long IIRC in P-cola FL.  PT was at 0300 and had to be in formation by 0600.  We were out of class at 1200 for the day...  That was the nice part.

C School was at Cherry Point and it was a normal 0800-1630 day for 2 months IIRC...  Maybe it was 3.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lied Recon is not something that is put in a contract. You have to "try out."

ETA not sure about reserves. I don't think even in reserves you can get a contract guarantee for Recon mos.  

From what I understand you CAN enlist into the reserves as an 0321 (Recon).  That being said, you had better pack the gear when you get to SOI because if you dont they are going to drop you like a flaming bag of dogshit!!!!

If you were to be dropped you may be rolled into a reservist infantry line company, which is not bad at all IMHO.

I would go into the USMCR in a heart beat if there was a grunt company within 1000 miles of my home
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Never heard of it.  

HAHA. QTF
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, MOS school was fun since it's after boot camp and MCT.  That means that you don't have someone up your ass all day long... usually only until quitting time
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never heard of it.  

HAHA. QTF

So its 14 weeks then you ship to your duty station?  Im not talking shit, but thats not a very long time.

In the Corps we do 13 weeks of bootcamp (hell) + 8-9 weeks of School of infantry.  Thats about 6 months of training if you factor in the recieving and boot leave time.

......And then you get to the fleet
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#41]
FWIW, I picked 1833 AAV crewman and got it. Of course, I'm a reservist.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So its 14 weeks then you ship to your duty station?  Im not talking shit, but thats not a very long time.

In the Corps we do 13 weeks of bootcamp (hell) + 8-9 weeks of School of infantry.  Thats about 6 months of training if you factor in the recieving and boot leave time.

......And then you get to the fleet

I've always wondered... what, exactly, does "get to the fleet" mean?  When you're actually deployed on a ship, or just some shitty posting that everyone goes to fresh out of school or ???
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

13F OSUT, Ft sill 2003

LOL true...

I did 13F AIT as a 26 year-old prior-service soldier, in '97.  It was nice living across the street, in 3-4 man rooms.  

The only shitty part was when some IET kids got caught smoking at Snow Hall, and the Drill Sergeants punished me and another non-IET buddy of mine, because we were smoking (as we were allowed to do), in the designated smoking area.  We had our backs turned to the other soldiers 75 meters away, and didn't pay them any attention.  The DS's didn't care, we got punished too.  We had to supervise the IET guys for a week of 'guard duty,' as they built sandbag positions in the battery area and recited the Surgeon General's warnings regarding smoking to anyone who entered the AO.  At least he and I could relieve each other whenever we felt like it, allowing time for eating, smoking, sleeping, or even going off-post.  The IET soldiers had to stay at their posts from 0600 until 2400 each day for a week.

My initial AIT was Inantry OSUT at Ft. Benning, back in 89-90.  There were some shitty moments, that's for sure, but there were far more good memories that stand out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand you CAN enlist into the reserves as an 0321 (Recon).  That being said, you had better pack the gear when you get to SOI because if you dont they are going to drop you like a flaming bag of dogshit!!!!

If you were to be dropped you may be rolled into a reservist infantry line company, which is not bad at all IMHO.

I would go into the USMCR in a heart beat if there was a grunt company within 1000 miles of my home
Unless things have changed recently(which is always possible), you CAN get an active duty 0321 contract. Essentially, it is an open contract which guarantees you a shot at the Recon indoc. When you fail it, and most do, you go off to do whatever the Marine Corps wants you to do.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Camp Del Mar I presume?

From what I've seen of it, that school house is pretty nice.

How much longer you have there?  Know where you're going next?  Across the street?

The Marine Corps is ups and downs. Sometimes it really sucks and sometimes it's really great.  When you look back on it, the suck times are usually the most memorable.

Most of the time you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Wouldn't trade my 23+ yrs in it for anything.

Semper Fi

Yep, Del mar. If I could take potential recruits down here to show them how we roll throughout the day then my MOS field would have all the warm bodies it needs. I'm about 1/2 mile from the beach, PX is about 400 yards down the road...it's so awesome here.

I have 8 1/2 weeks left in training. I picked up a few days ago. Reservists pick up first
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You made it to middle school graduation, and your parents bought you a new computer...didn't they.

It's good to see you are using it in an intelligent manner.[%|

Get a friggin life and buy a clue.

S-28

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Never heard of it.  

I had a great time. Add on 3 weeks of holdover (stay in basic barracks   digging new PT pits for the next cycle, doing tons more PT, then going to jump  school for 3 weeks. It was like a big 21 week training session.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh?

You get to pick what field you want, and then they assign you an MOS.  I chose infantry and 0311.  I got my wish!

In the Army I wanted Infantry. They put me as an 11-X. The drills assigned our MOS then. 11-B , 11-H, 11-C, 11-M. Thank God I got 11-B
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Faded,

Ya get out of it what ya put into it. School is cool, and there is a regimen that can be planned on.

In the fleet, everything runs short, and it's lots of suckage if you are a "Woe is me" type, and it dosn't matter what MOS.

If ya live for the field, you're gonna have a ball, but HATE admin time that keeps popping up.

You reservists get the better bargain.
No Rock painting or sand Raking between field ops, save for the AT and inspection preps.

Stay motivated, stay proud.
Take the suck as it comes and the reward is the field.

You will meet lots of admin Marines that are pissed because they went open contract, and would rather get into the boonies.

You will also meet an overwhelming bunch of Doggies and squids that bitch about having to go to sea or actually get thier boots dirty.

Thanks Marine!
S-28

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've always wondered... what, exactly, does "get to the fleet" mean?  When you're actually deployed on a ship, or just some shitty posting that everyone goes to fresh out of school or ???

Getting to "the fleet" is when you actually get to your first permanent duty station/unit.  The fleet is basically when you are finally out of school and go to do your job.  Hope this was helpful

Pat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top