Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/31/2008 2:10:02 PM EDT
Well, are they the perfect dog?  I am looking for another dog and cant decide if I will go the large(German shepherd or rottwieler) or small(pug, Chihuahua etc) route.  This dog will have a older brother(mix pit/hound) and two kids with a stay at home mom to watch, walk, etc during the day.

Barking loud at knockers is a must, is that something that is inherent or trainable, if trainable, how?

OK, so I will most likely be getting a GSD before September/October.  What is a good price for a good GSD with quality bloodlines?

Import?
Domestic?
Working Lines?
AKC?
UKC?
CKC?
King Shepherd?
Health Guarantee?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]

German Shepherds, Believe the hype?

Yes
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They are certainly not perfect, but they are an excellent breed. The best trained dog I have ever known was a Shepherd. They are very intelligent dogs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get the right GSD, you will be able to trust you and your family's lives to it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends. If you are a small game/waterfowl/upland hunter GSDs are just about worthless, but if you are looking for a companion dog and a guardian dog, then they are just about the best.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get them to do anything if they perceive a need.  They are natural herders and will fight to protect their masters.

A good GSD will need only limited training as they will naturally guard your family.  And no sane person will mess with your family.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine from the shelter...It died after one week...Fucking Parvo Virus

RIP Alex
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
as  previous GSD owner...they are an awesome dog... totally loyal and protective..they do not like to be left outside... (they bark alot) they require alot of attention... more like a family member than a dog...
Plus they shed alot if kept indoors..
J
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
GSD.
Gods Studliest Dogs!
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, GSD's are the best of the breeds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, GSD's are the best of the breeds.

Barking loud at knockers is a must, is that something that is inherent or trainable, if trainable, how?

They do this without training.  And they will protect your family (their pack) also.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you get the right GSD, you will be able to trust you and your family's lives to it.

+1

I grew up with GSD's and they're phenominal dogs.  They're extremely loving and protective.

HH
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up with a white German shepherd/Samoyed mix named "Buck". He was the best dog our family ever had. Around a hundred pounds full grown, very loyal, and I know he would protect the family. The only downside to German Shepherds is the fact that they shed like crazy. Fur everywhere. Fricking everywhere.

Great dog, but if you can find one that's cross bred with a non-shedding dog, you'd have about the perfect dog.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
No one will ever break into your house if they see or hear one even though they are mostly big old lovable sissies. They are super easy to train and smarter than most humans I've met. My German Shepherd Conan was probably the most well tempered, best behaved and smartest dogs I've ever owned.   He died of cancer earlier this year, I was very sad.
http://voodoojar.com/conan.jpg
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If you buy a puppy stop somewhere on the way home and buy a good vaccum cleaner if you dont already have one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
They're a good dog overall, noted for their guard instincts.  Sometimes they have to be trained to not be overly aggressive, though.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had a GSD almost all of my life. I doubt any of them, but one, were purebred. That said, I know that every single one of them had the protective instinct.

Growing up Rusty would have literally given her life to save mine. She almost did on a couple of occasions. The others weren't put in the same situation. My current dog sees me as the Alpha, and he feels little obligation to protect me. My wife, on the other hand, he is very protective of.

We have even had neighbors who described our dog's bark as "reassuring." I have not had a neighbor yet, and I've lived in 5 areas with him that thought his bark was annoying. No complaints. Only compliments. Just something reassuring about a GSD barking. You know they're on the job.

They are more than pets. They are family.

I wouldn't own another breed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
They were popular here for 10-15 years ago, now they are inbreeded.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I really want a GSD but the wife is worried about the shedding.  Any other options?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome dogs, but be prepared to give them the time and attention they need. They ain't lapdogs, they are very energetic and need to be worked. Stuffing them in a tiny back yard while you're at work all day just doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you buy a puppy stop somewhere on the way home and buy a good vaccum cleaner if you dont already have one.

Too funny.

My aunt and uncle had a breeding pair - Lady and Devil ... Devil was the sweetheart and "Lady" wasn't very lady-like at all. Had to be kept on a chain when we were at their farm. Good dogs but as others have said get one with good breeding - papers are worth paying for even if you're not going to breed.

No dog is an army.

I have to disagree. I prefer a little mix in their breed. Purebred GSD means hip problems in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
they make great guard dogs. But from my experience look for ones from schutzhund proven parents. A hell of alot more protective, and they have a ton of energy
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#24]
We're NEVER blindsided by a doorbell or knock that we didn't hear. Our GSD isn't *perfect*, but he's really good. Great with our kids - not aggressive towards strangers, but makes it very clear that he is watching them. Very alert.

Be advised, they need a good bit of exercise. Ours has a huge amount of energy.

I have no idea how the two dog thing would work out, but we are a one dog house and I would buy another GSD if I had to do it all over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We're NEVER blindsided by a doorbell or knock that we didn't hear. Our GSD isn't *perfect*, but he's really good. Great with our kids - not aggressive towards strangers, but makes it very clear that he is watching them. Very alert.

I have no idea how the two dog thing would work out, but we are a one dog house and I would buy another GSD if I had to do it all over.
heres a tip get a treadmill for him

ask me how I know
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
The wife and I have two.  They are fantastics dogs!

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#27]
big honking taggage
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My GSD was great with other dogs, as long as they were introduced by their masters and I was with her.  She would sniff, then attempt to control the movement of the other dog(s), keeping them in a corner of the yard.

She LOVED long walks.  On one walk in a brushy field, we found a Boxer dog that had pulled the retractable lead from its owner's hands.  The dog had spent the night there, trapped as it had wrapped the lead around the Huisache bush.  I was faced with a problem, how to rescue this dog without another person.  I clipped Duchess to a tree and told her to sit.  I then approached the Boxer dog and released him from the lead.  I then unwrapped the lead and reclipped the Boxer dog to the lead.  I introduced him to Duchess, she barked, telling him he was a dumbshit and he admitted his error.  I gave him some water and went to find his master.

SO it was Duchess and myself.  We soon heard someone calling out his name and his ears perked up.  No way would I let him loose.  I met up with the owner and described what Duchess and myself had done.  Duchess had sniffed out this dog as it was silent and laying down.  It had been missing for over 12 hours!

It has only been 10 days since Duchess crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  The evening she died, I knew she was in a better place as she had been suffering.  She had been fearful of thunderstorms.  Once she was buried, there came a sudden thunderstorm.  She was telling me she was in a better place, no more fear, no more pain.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The wife and I have two.  They are fantastics dogs!

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/244826962.jpg

Beautiful dogs.

I love my GSD. Like has been said before. They have a ton of energy and loved to be worked. My dog also sees me as the alpha and would die for me, my wife and kids.

MPD165

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Got mine from Czech from someone who breeds border patrol dogs. He acts like a puppy most of the time since he has always been treated like one :P

It's pretty easy to teach him things and he understands what I want him to do better than other dogs I know.

His name is Shadow, definitely the best dog I've ever had

He does really well with people,kids and other dogs but he seems to forget how big he is so he can get a little rough.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
My 2 1/2 year old GSD is great--------after my experience with her, I don't think I'll ever have anything but GSDs.

My own personal experience:
-Yes, they do shed like crazy
-They can be very stubborn
-They are unbelievably intelligent
-They are unbelievably loyal
-Mine really doesn't bark that much but when she does----its scary
-Mine has never displayed any aggression but I'd be willing to bet she'd tear      somebody up if need be
-Mine wants to be with me 24/7 and likes attention

I never would've thought I'd ever get this attached to a dog...
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I have two female White GSDs they are the first I have owned but not the first I have been exposed to they have the temperament to deal with young children as well as an intruder. I have lived with many breeds of dog and been impressed with the various shepherds I have met IMO they are the best all around dog.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too funny.

My aunt and uncle had a breeding pair - Lady and Devil ... Devil was the sweetheart and "Lady" wasn't very lady-like at all. Had to be kept on a chain when we were at their farm. Good dogs but as others have said get one with good breeding - papers are worth paying for even if you're not going to breed.

No dog is an army.

I dont have a GSD but have a similar sorta dog hair wise. Unless we vaccum the entire house front to back at least every two days hair will be all over. We have hard wood floors so there are big clumps of it floating around all over. You should have seen the air intake for our ac system. Full of fucking hair.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a male that's a year old and is a very good watchdog already.

when we are walking around the neighborhood and he sees someone he does not know he won't take his eye off them and will even bark if they get too close to us.

Always barks when someone comes to the door but once they are greeted and let in by us he is non-agressive.

He is very high energy and wants to play all the time which would be a good deal if you have kids.

you must get one as a young pup and let it live in the house with you and it will become like one of your kids.

Our previous GSD could understand 20 or 30 words.

For companionship and as a watch dog there is none better than a GSD.

They do shed, make your kids vacuum up after him.

Good luck,

EMSflyer
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes. This thread needs more poll..
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I really want a GSD but the wife is worried about the shedding.  Any other options?

Get a new wife AND a GSD!
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Uber GSD aka Shiloh Shepherd

Honestly, a good GSD is a great dog
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice things to hear about GS's, I am in the market for a dog to replace my Black Lab, but I have a 4 y/o girl.  I was told NOT to get a shepard because they cant be trusted when alone and around little children.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I got mine from the shelter...It died after one week...Fucking Parvo Virus

RIP Alex

ETA..............Yeah ..GSDs are ALL that and a side of fries
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Nice things to hear about GS's, I am in the market for a dog to replace my Black Lab, but I have a 4 y/o girl.  I was told NOT to get a shepard because they cant be trusted when alone and around little children.  Is this true?

BS

Thats Freud , my ex's ,daughter's dog and her grandaughter Kaitlyn.

She would stick Kyle in his seat/swing and Freud would pull on the swing's ropes and let it go.......causing Kyle to swing.

It was adorable

Shepherds have probably the best record around family and kids.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's complete BS. I grew up w/ a GS narc dog. He was the best dog I've ever known (and I've seen a lot of good dogs). Extremely smart, gentle and playful with us kids, and served more warrants than any LEO I know.

He would play football with all the kids (he was always defense), and chew the shit out of meth heads when on duty. He became so well known on the North side of town that all the kids picked him first when picking teams. Once at a little league base ball game (I was 9) a grown man asked me, "Why is your dog staring at me like that?" I said, "Cause you have dope in your pocket". His name was Bruiser, and 30 years later I still miss him.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's complete BS. I grew up w/ a GS narc dog. He was the best dog I've ever known (and I've seen a lot of good dogs). Extremely smart, gentle and playful with us kids, and served more warrants than any LEO I know.

He would play football with all the kids (he was always defense), and chew the shit out of meth heads when on duty. He became so well known on the North side of town that all the kids picked him first when picking teams. Once at a little league base ball game (I was 9) a grown man asked me, "Why is your dog staring at me like that?" I said, "Cause you have dope in your pocket". His name was Bruiser, and 30 years later I still miss him.

I grew up with GSDs.  They were very, very tolerant of me.  On more than one occasion my mother mentioned that I would chase them into the bathroom and into the bathtub (where I couldn't reach) because I kept trying to stuff french fries up their noses.  I don't know why I did this.  I was 3 or so.  My mother and father stopped buying french fries for about two years because of that.  My mother said that it was very odd to see four 100+ pound GSDs from USAF stock (that were, in fact, pretty aggressive) crowded into the bathtub trying to get away from me with ketsup on their noses.  So yes, GSDs are fine with kids, including the ones that can transition into land sharks in the blink of an eye.

I like GSDs.  They know what you want before you know what you want.  Wonderful critters.

Make sure to get one with a normal straight back.  They are still out there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
They are certainly not perfect, but they are an excellent breed. The best trained dog I have ever known was a Shepherd. They are very intelligent dogs.

No dog is "perfect" for everyone.

But they are very smart and unbelievably loyal (if you raise them). Like any dog, sometimes they are ruined at a young age by asshats.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]
It's an awesome breed, no doubt about that. Real good ones are expensive, though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a new wife AND a GSD!

+!
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#46]
+1 for everything already said. I used to hate all dogs until I got my first GSD for my wife to stop the nagging. Well I liked her so much it turned out to be "my dog" so I had to get the wife another one for her!

My only regret is I do not get to spend enough time with them. Been working 65-70 hour weeks lately.

Extremely smart. Smart enough to consciously make her own decisions on whether she is going to respond to commands or not. Very stubborn. Best dog in the world.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
So what's a good mix to breed with a GSD to help the shedding problem?  I just can't handle hair everywhere.  I have a hard enough time cleaning my house as it is.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Poor breeding here in the states have hurt them.

Many of the local PDs now import from Europe and are going to malinois.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#49]
My Dad's family bred them.  We got a runt , it was an awful dog.  However that will not sway me on this breed.  They are loyal, intelligent, sturdy, and when trained properly they live up to the hype.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes GSDs of the larger breeds by far the best for a house dog/protector.

Labs good for other stuff and smart

Rotties always seem effing stupid and slow witted to me

Smartest dogs period = Jack Russells and the most fun too. JRT are always entertaining.

GSD = best of the large breeds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top