Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/26/2008 12:11:11 PM EDT
In 8 out of 10 visual sightings of local cops and sheriffs’ deputy’s, while in their cars either passing me or at a traffic light, I have found they are talking on their cell phones.

The only exception to this has been that State Troopers are on their cell phones only 2 out of 10 times.

Some members might say that it’s OK, since if LEO’s are yakking on the cell, then they’ll be less likely to catch said members in a minor traffic infraction, however, I pay the salaries for these employees (taxes), and I want to get my moneys worth out of them by having them catch the jerk kid that races up my street, the crack dealers on the north end of town, and all the other law breakers that they are ignoring.

Before anyone chimes in, this isn’t an LEO bashing thread, and isn’t specific to any one state as I’ve seen it from Maine to Florida and Virginia to Las Vegas.

I pose these serious questions to the LEO community…  

• Do you really get paid to drive around talking on your cell all day long?  I can’t believe that you are communicating with your department on your cell since you have a radio.

Doesn’t your department have regulations about taking or making cell calls while on duty?  (My company does.)  

Is it that there isn’t a supervisor hanging over you during your shift so you have more latitude.

If driving and talking on my cell is a moving violation, is it for you as well, or does this fall into the “cops can speed, but you can’t” grey area?

Have any of your departments issued directives pointing out this issue?

Just curious……
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I notice the same, Police work can get boring and most LEOs I know talk to their partner about work related stuff or various other things or some call dispatch for in depth info on something. You can't talk on a radio, and MDTs are recorded, if that said dept. even has them.

You really have no idea of what is going on, that much is obvious from your list.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to mention the number of call cops get on thier work cells from victims, witnesses, Snitches, and other contacts concerning bonafide L.E. type stuff.

If everything went over the radio, holy crap, a guy would go crazy!

Cut 'em a Huss, they're working and not surfing the net!!

S-28
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First off I think you need to find something else to be all worked about.

My department has the two-way pust to talk phones. Calls come in from other cops, supervisors and dispatch. A lot of communication for us has moved off the radio and to phones to keep the scanner folks from knowing what is being discussed.

Seriously, your dispatcher now sends call by Cell Phone instead of radio?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
they just passed a law in the city I live in banning the use of cellphones
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a ride along recently. The cop I rode with was on his cell phone with his wife for almost 45 minutes just bullshitting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My department has the two-way pust to talk phones. Calls come in from other cops, supervisors and dispatch. A lot of communication for us has moved off the radio and to phones to keep the scanner folks from knowing what is being discussed.

both of the departments I worked for did..because our radios did not work well in every area yet we could get a cell signal....

ETA....the other bad thing was that it was an unspoken rule that you needed a cell phone but it came out of your wallet....
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Cops also type on a computer while driving...
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some calls, yes. The majority, no.

But you have discussions with dispatch concerning calls and getting information you don't want broadcast over the radio.

Holy Crap, there are places in my county where I can’t get a 6 item grocery list from my wife because of the reception.  Do the citizens in your area know their lives are relying on the cell signal to be available 24/7 with 100% coverage?  Isn’t that why your taxpayers are paying for radio gear in the first place?  

Maybe you ought to go to Cripto gear
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you have discussions with dispatch concerning calls and getting information you don't want broadcast over the radio.

Holy Crap, there are places in my county where I can’t get a 6 item grocery list from my wife because of the reception.  Do the citizens in your area know their lives are relying on the cell signal to be available 24/7 with 100% coverage?  Isn’t that why your taxpayers are paying for radio gear in the first place?  

hell we went to digital....guess what...still had problems
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I did a ride along recently. The cop I rode with was on his cell phone with his wife for almost 45 minutes just bullshitting.

+3

I've done 9 rides with 5 different agencies.  3 of those rides were spent listening to the officer/deputy talk to his wife and/or girlfriend for half the shift.

A majority of the rides were good, informative, and instructional.  I was going through the P.O.S.T. academy at a local community college, and the officers/deputies were very helpful.  But the 3 "phone rides" were a waste of my time and your tax dollars.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not bashing, but I can't believe that Officer Oblivious is cruising down the road passing me and yakking merrily on the cell, all while talking to his dispatcher.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Again most calls come in over the radio, the same as calling out when you are on a call etc. Some calls come in via cell because the air waves are busy with other calls. We share the same channel with four other departments.

Do you have any idea how much money it would cost to upgrade to a trunking system?

I know of a local agency upgrading and has been trying for 4 years, fairly small dept. around 100 officers. The price tag is above 1mil, and since when does the .Gov run like it should? Yea we would all like to have critical infrastructure tip-top but this is the .Gov we are talking about here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you ought to go to Cripto gear [://

I'm not bashing, but I can't believe that Officer Oblivious is cruising down the road passing me and yakking merrily on the cell, all while talking to his dispatcher.

your right sometimes it is the wife/girlfriend giving them grief......or telling them to get milk after shift....and sometimes it is calls that is work related....but while I can not answer for other officers for me it was usually work.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Phone driving is illegal in CA, have to use a hands free device.

Phone driving = DUI and should be prosecuted as such, for everybody.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Push to talk cells and just regular cells are used a lot by my fire department. A lot of secondary gets to us through cells so that the radios don't get clogged up.

Which is good and bad.

Last week a call got toned out as mutual assist with fire department XXXX.

I get to the fire boat and our chief is yelling at us to hurry the fuck up, turns out some guy was stuck in the mud with the tide coming in on him with water up to his chest already. We got him out, but I'm sure everyone would have responded faster if we had known the circumstances that the chief learned over his cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
No matter what happens someone will whine and be butt hurt.

No matter how inconsequential it is to their life and the larger problems they are most likely facing.

Thats just life, and when the public pays for all your equipment and pay checks, you find out real fast it is hard to keep everyone happy until they need you at 2:00 in the morning with the defib.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

on FT Sill it is hands off cell phone use only...unless you are LEO, FD, PARAMED, because we got to take a driving course that "teaches" us how to do it safetly.....I asked hy could not any one take the class and got a from the boss

but he always thought LEO > anyone else
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Maybe you ought to go to Cripto gear hinking.gif

Again most calls come in over the radio, the same as calling out when you are on a call etc. Some calls come in via cell because the air waves are busy with other calls. We share the same channel with four other departments.

Do you have any idea how much money it would cost to upgrade to a trunking system?

+1.   Also, with people using scanners to listen in on radio traffic an alternative form of communication is needed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I handle approximately 15-20% of the calls I get dispatched to over the phone.  Saves $$ by not having to drive out to BFE to explain that something isn't a crime or something they can take out their own warrants on.

Also, a lot of times dispatch will have us call in to get additional info. they don't want to put out over the radio.

Also my Sgt. calls me frequently with some assignment or to ask me what we are eating
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#24]
nevermind, I'm not giving the drumset to the retard
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Same here, big time+1

We were a volunteer aircraft for a while and for the really hot stuff we showed up knowing jack about what was going on. This while we wait for digital comms to show up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#26]
If we're going to critisize LEOs for something, I would say this aint it.  I couldnt care less if they blab to their wife/GF/kids/friends.  I know for a fact damn near everyone here makes personal calls at some point in their work day.

Some of you guys would flip if you saw how an Infantry Marine's day goes.  If your not training or PTing, or doing something official, chances are 80% of the Marines are SLEEPING.

Cops and .mil get paid for what they may have to do/sacrifice, not what they do.

Page 2!
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
once they get paid 100,000 a year;  think we can ask them to do more.  The cops here have been down sized, denied raises, all for a crappy job for crap pay if they can squeeze in a 45 min phone call to make them more connected to the home they are not at 12 hours a day even holidays, then i think i will let that slide.  They still come when you call.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Always on the cell in my area.  Or sleeping in their favorite place.  Or at the mini-station donut nut shop).  Or drunk on their ass (off duty) at the cop bar.  Or badging their way out of some mishap that would get us pee ons some jail/court time.

I'm currently attending court ordered therapy (first time OWI).  I asked the therapist how many cops has she ever treated?  Her reply was...... NONE.  Lawyers?  NONE.  Local Government officials?  NONE.  Amazing.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Always on the cell in my area.  Or sleeping in their favorite place.  Or at the mini-station donut nut shop).  Or drunk on their ass (off duty) at the cop bar.  Or badging their way out of some mishap that would get us pee ons some jail/court time.

I'm currently attending court ordered therapy (first time OWI).  I asked the therapist how many cops has she ever treated?  Her reply was...... NONE.  Lawyers?  NONE.  Local Government officials?  NONE.  Amazing.  

She's on the take!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
i am really tired of all this leo stuff,if you want it to change go be a cop,work your way up the chain and do something positive.
they get paid 30k to risk their life,every post starts out with a gripe with no solution.here is a solution,dont speed or break the law.
GET OFF THEIR BACK,YOU DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE TALKING TO AND THEY ARE TRAPPED IN A CAR SOLO ALL DAY AND THE ONLY CONTACT THEY HAVE IS WITH IDIOTS AND CRIMINALS.during the day i can walk away from my job or stop and take a break,they cant and talking to someone may be what keeps them sane.by the way you dont pay their salaries,you pay taxes and it is your responsibility as an american and doesnt give you the right to dictate what they do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#31]
If you've ever listened to a police scanner for any amount of time, you'd see how often the police are asked to call people (witnesses, RPs, victims, etc).  Those people don't have police radios, nor do they want their conversation out there for all to hear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Gee
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
i am really tired of all this leo stuff,if you want it to change go be a cop,work your way up the chain and do something positive.
they get paid 30k to risk their life,every post starts out with a gripe with no solution.here is a solution,dont speed or break the law.
GET OFF THEIR BACK,YOU DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE TALKING TO AND THEY ARE TRAPPED IN A CAR SOLO ALL DAY AND THE ONLY CONTACT THEY HAVE IS WITH IDIOTS AND CRIMINALS.during the day i can walk away from my job or stop and take a break,they cant and talking to someone may be what keeps them sane.by the way you dont pay their salaries,you pay taxes and it is your responsibility as an american and doesnt give you the right to dictate what they do.

+1
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

None of that matters in discussing the legality of what you're doing.  You could be Jesus Christ calling God for the cure to cancer and if you were in my state driving and chatting without a hands-free device, you'd be in violation of the law.

The hands-free laws that keep popping up annoy people.  They sometimes annoy people because they're an ineffectual bullshit "feel good" way of band-aiding the growing problem of distraction related traffic accidents.  

Be that as it may, the law is enforced.  Tickets are written.  Revenue is generated.  

The law doesn't provide a law enforcement exemption, but common practice does.  This annoys people even worse.

So as minor a point as this may be in the real world, cops flaunting cellphone laws do far more harm to the public image of law enforcement than logic would dictate.  I would think seatbelt use would be a matter of more actual import, but the big PR hit is on the cellphone because everyone's already riled up about it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been on a ride along and it does get boring during patrol.  Not all calls go to one patrol unit so they have some "down time".
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#36]
This is kind of an issue in my dept right now.  But it is impossible to monitor so the Cheif just says don't abuse it.  

It is surprising how much cops use cell phones for work stuff.  Did we get by before cell phones?  Yes.  Was it as convienent?  Hell no.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I think they should get rid of the radios altogether and use like batman sky signals.  Except, you dont want the regular idiots seeing it so you make it IR or something?  R I jeenyus?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Very weak cop bashing thread...

These start to get comical after awhile....  some are clueless and will remain that way.. You keep "stickin it to the man" and paying our salaries.. haha  guess what YOU also pay for my my cell phone bill.  It's like a double whammy..

So hey   thanks buddy
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
nevermind, I'm not giving the drumset to the retard

I don't know how many times I've typed out a response but end up hitting the 'back' button instead.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Gee. You ever think that I might be using my personally owned cell phone to conduct work related calls like: speaking with my supervisor, watch commander, or other police officers? How about calling victims, witnesses, suspects, etc? Calling dispatch, other agencies, other divisions, det. bureau, etc. Public services such as utility companies, city depts., hospitals, tow trucks, etc. for various issues. Lawyers, judges. Entering/cancelling warrants. The list goes on and on and on.

I hate cell phones and wouldn't have one if I didn't need it for work. That and the fact that my cell phone isn't provided by the dept. and I pay for the service out of my own pocket, even though I use is almost exclusively for work related issues.

So if I call my wife for five minutes to tell her I'm going to be really late, you're just going to have to learn to deal with it.

While we're on the topic, I'm curious what percentage of ARFcom surfs this site from work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Gee. You ever think that I might be using my personally owned cell phone to conduct work related calls like: speaking with my supervisor, watch commander, or other police officers? How about calling victims, witnesses, suspects, etc? Calling dispatch, other agencies, other divisions, det. bureau, etc. Public services such as utility companies, city depts., hospitals, tow trucks, etc. for various issues. Lawyers, judges. Entering/cancelling warrants. The list goes on and on and on.

I hate cell phones and wouldn't have one if I didn't need it for work. That and the fact that my cell phone isn't provided by the dept. and I pay for the service out of my own pocket, even though I use is almost exclusively for work related issues.

So if I call my wife for five minutes to tell her I'm going to be really late, you're just going to have to learn to deal with it.

While we're on the topic, I'm curious what percentage of ARFcom surfs this site from work.

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
In 8 out of 10 visual sightings of local cops and sheriffs’ deputy’s, while in their cars either passing me or at a traffic light, I have found they are talking on their cell phones.

The only exception to this has been that State Troopers are on their cell phones only 2 out of 10 times.

Some members might say that it’s OK, since if LEO’s are yakking on the cell, then they’ll be less likely to catch said members in a minor traffic infraction, however, I pay the salaries for these employees (taxes), and I want to get my moneys worth out of them by having them catch the jerk kid that races up my street, the crack dealers on the north end of town, and all the other law breakers that they are ignoring.

Before anyone chimes in, this isn’t an LEO bashing thread, and isn’t specific to any one state as I’ve seen it from Maine to Florida and Virginia to Las Vegas.

• Do you really get paid to drive around talking on your cell all day long?  I can’t believe that you are communicating with your department on your cell since you have a radio.

Doesn’t your department have regulations about taking or making cell calls while on duty?  (My company does.)  

Is it that there isn’t a supervisor hanging over you during your shift so you have more latitude.

If driving and talking on my cell is a moving violation, is it for you as well, or does this fall into the “cops can speed, but you can’t” grey area?

Just curious……

First of, screw you and your condescension.

You write, “I pose these serious questions to the LEO community…  “, and "this isn’t an LEO bashing thread." I'd throw up the big BS flag if I could, because you are full of it.

Then you follow all that up with those blatantly backhanded questions.

I was going to write in all the reasons I use my phone, but HKocher said it just fine.

"Gee. You ever think that I might be using my personally owned cell phone to conduct work related calls like: speaking with my supervisor, watch commander, or other police officers? How about calling victims, witnesses, suspects, etc? Calling dispatch, other agencies, other divisions, det. bureau, etc. Public services such as utility companies, city depts., hospitals, tow trucks, etc. for various issues. Lawyers, judges. Entering/cancelling warrants. The list goes on and on and on.

So if I call my wife for five minutes to tell her I'm going to be really late, you're just going to have to learn to deal with it."

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I recall a study on this topic a few years ago. Turns out its a HUGE productivity improvement for the patrol officers to have mobile phones. Any time spent on personal calls gets swamped by the gains in time made available by having the cell phone available. A lot of the communication a patrol officer needs to do isn't appropriate for the dispatch voice channels. It used to be an officer had to stop and grab a pay phone, or go back to the office to make calls.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]
The SD back home started sending out calls on some fancy Verizon pager things.  Because of the terrain in our county radios created a lot of dead zones that were actually covered by cell towers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was on the road, I didnt have time to use my cell phone.

I was too busy reading a magazine at Barnes & Noble, making sure the girl doesnt put too much foam in my latte and hitting on the hot cop groupie college girl chicks that were there studying.

Dont forget checking a 12 at the local Peruvian restaurant that had the best churasco and always gave us .50.

Oh yeah, gotta make time to stop by the newspaper shop and shoot the shit with old man Filo.....the guy made the best expresso and had a great assortment of cigars......had some great stories too.

Much too busy to yack on the phone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I am sure that a large amount of police business is conducted by cell phone.  Its a logical use of the tech.  Frees up the radio, being digital most places makes it essentially secure.  Allows for info to be passed that should not be tying up a freq.
All logical and proper uses for the phone.  And I am equally sure that a significant number of officers abuse this by making a lot of personal phone calls on the company dime.  If they are using their own phones and minutes its a minor problem.  If however they are burning up tax payer funded minutes...then I OBJECT.  

Human nature shows that no matter what field of work  or job  is discussed at least a portion of the staff will abuse privileges...sometimes to the point where they are removed thus penalizing honest employees.  Sucks but its the way of the world.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Do you really get paid to drive around talking on your cell all day long?

Yep, and I also get paid for sitting around watching dvds, surfing the web, and playing solitaire on my MDT. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Actually, in CA, it is not illegal until July 1st, 2008.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I use my cell phone to contact Juvenile hall, get court protective orders for DV victims, to call in stolen vehicles, etc. etc.

Just cause we're on the phone doesn't mean we aren't working.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Just curious……

You can always tell when the kids are out on summer break.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top