Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 11:02:02 PM EDT
I can't decide for the life of me which to get.  I love the M1 family of rifles, but I also have been fascinated by the FAL.  The M1A I was considering is the National Match, since I can't afford an M21 or M25.  If I get a DSA FAL, medium contour or standard, I will most likely not be buying a scope, and the mags are about $8.  Plus, DSA makes a RAS for the FAL, so I can throw some neat stuff on the forend.  I'm not sure whether I would have more fun blasting away with .308, or driving nails.  I suppose I could accomplish both with a medium contour barreled DSA, but them I have to buy a scope.  I don't think I would want to beat the hell  out of a National Match M1A, but I do appreciate a crisp trigger.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
All depends on what you want to do with it! the m1a is a target rifle the fal is a very cool blaster.
Both make excelent combat rifles.(neither are a good or even fair by modern standards assualt rifle)....pat
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
For me personally, I would go with the DSA.  I like the adjustable gas system so that you can use ammo of different power, really simple to disaseemble and clean.  Mags are cheap and plentiful.  On the other hand the rear sight is a little tougher to adjust for windage because you need a screwdriver. William's Trigger Specialties can do a trigger to give you a real good trigger, I don't remember the cost.

The M1A's stock and the reciever/barrel in an national match is glue toether, so that if you remove them for cleaning etc, you have got to get them re-bedded.  I have HEARD that some people have shot their M1A's a lot that they actually loosened this glue. Real GI 20 round mags are currently around $50, when you find them.  I find that the Red Chinese mags work pretty good. The rear sight is finger adjusted for both windage and elevation.

Check out the Fulton Armory web site, they have a bunch of stuff on M1As [url]http://www.fulton-armory.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Only ONE possible answer, BOTH. Get the second job, it is worth it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the DSA.  FAL magazines, accessories and spare parts are cheaper and the gun is much simpler to assemble/disassemble.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Only ONE possible answer, BOTH. Get the second job, it is worth it.
View Quote

Beat me to it!
My computer is to old and slow!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
As stated, they both are great rifles and both have pros and cons.

Honestly, I think you will be happy with either but whether you "love" it will depend on your shooting style. Both are going to be reliable.

I would buy the M1A if I was into target shooting and wanted accuracy.

I'd go with the DSA if I wanted a great blaster that was moderately accurate compared to the M1A that as stated before, parts and mags are in abundance right now.

I'd go with the M1A personally because I like the "heritage" factor that comes with them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem so far, are the suggestions that the FAL is NOT accurate and the M1A is not suitable in a assault capacity.

A Standard Fal will run real close to a M1A in terms of accuracy and the reverse is true for firepower.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the M1A but the FAL is a better buy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
   I have both, an M1A and two FAL's.  I have to agree, the only real answer is get both.  The M1A is definitely more accurate in my experience.  The M1A is also quite expensive when it comes to mags and all at least.  Base price you'll probably spend about the same.  I would say get the M1A first just becuase its a must have.  The FAL is nice to have, but my life wouldn't be that empty without them.  There is something addicting about the FAL's though.  I think that's how I wound up with two instead of two M1A's...

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I think that the DSA FAL is a better value for the money.

Just my .02

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
The big advantage of the M1A, IMO, is that it can be used in NRA Highpower shooting [i]as a service rifle[/i]. You could use the FAL in Highpower, but it would be a match rifle. Really, a match AR is a better choice for Highpower competition, anyway.

I suggest the standard M1A over any factory match varity. If you want a match M1A, get a standard and have a serious gunsmith build it up.

If you are not going to use the rifle in competition, get either the M1A or the FAL.

Best solution: get an AR for competition, and get both the M1A and the FAL. Get the one you [i]like[/i] best first, don't worry about what one is really best (or what others think is best).
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh look at her.....
[img]http://www.dsarms.com/images/sa58mini.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both. Go to the range and borrow/shoot them! To help your decision.

The M1A is a sturdier accuracy platform even on the better built FALs... the trigger and sights surpass what is avail for FALs. (Unless you go scoped aiming device- diff. game). But the FAL has a pistol grip! (yeah M14E2 stocks exist with pistol grips but for the $$). FAL mags are cheap! Then again, plentiful M14 USGI parts can be found new. Unlike my Izzy! -the b*tch.

M1As have that historical wood and age mystic. FALs have that abuse me and let me kill mystic.

You'll end up with both eventually, we both know it. So get a used standard M1A for under a $1000 and pick up a used DSA too. You'll like both rifles, so get used, because they won't sit in your safe.

Dispelling some rumors. You [i]can[/i] find M14 mags for $30+ (I sold some 2 weeks ago for $32 shipped). And the M14 is easy to take apart and put back together, with or without tools. Field stripping an M1A is easy! And you end up with about 5 parts (Hardcore FAL guys just sling the BS when it comes to their most hated competition).

Which one do shoot the most? (sorry FAL, baby) -my M1A. I've got iron sights on them all, and the range is just target plinking anyway... so M1A.

Who would I want in the mud? probably the FAL. Who would I want in the cold? M1A. Who would I want for SHTF...??? Don't know.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oh look at her.....
[img]http://www.dsarms.com/images/sa58mini.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Too bad you have to be LEO to get that one.

This is more likely what you will get...
[img]www.dsarms.com/images/sa58stnd.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are considering FAL's, you really should look at these sites.

[url]azexarms.com[/url]

[url]arizonaresponsesystems.com[/url]

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
You choice is between either the M1A National Match
[img]http://www.springfieldarmory.com/images/rifles/2001-products-rifles-natlmatch.jpg[/img]

Or the M1A Scout
[img]http://www.springfieldarmory.com/images/rifles/2001-products-rifles-scoutsquadwalnut.jpg[/img]

[red]Pick the Scout[/red]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
LOVE that Scout!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#22]
"The M1A's stock and the reciever/barrel in an national match is glue toether, so that if you remove them for cleaning etc, you have got to get them re-bedded. "

A National Match M1A is not "glue together."  It IS bedded though.  The action still comes out of the stock.  Not that doing this is a good idea, but it can be done a time or two (if you are not ham fisted) without destroying the bedding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a standard M1A and I like it.  Its a good gun.  I can't explain why, but I hate FALs. This is not based on logic though, just pure personal tastes.  There is just too much metal on them or something (what's really odd is that I like AK's).

Either get an M1A, for traditions sake, or get yourself an AR-10.  If you want a great .308 with a pistol grip, why not get an AR-10?

-SS
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I sold my FAL, they are nice but the M1A / M14 is better in my opinion. More ergonomic, simple/less parts, better sights, more reliable. Self adjusting gas system. With the FAL, I was always adjusting the gas port to make it run.
My M1A has been extremely reliable.
It fits [b]Me[/b] better.
Just my experience.

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is the truth of the matter: BOTH the FAL and the M1A are Wonderful Rifles. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I own both and like them both.

The FAL is Cheaper and Easier to Maintain in the Field, due to the way it breaks down and has an adjustable gas system.

The M1A is more accurate and has Superior Sights, Trigger, and better Ergonomics. It also is faster to shoulder and has faster target acquisition.

The National Match Barrel that comes on the Loaded Package weighs about 1 lb more than the standard barrel and has a tighter rifling twist rate.

The Standard M1A weighs about the same as an AR15 HBAR with a 20 inch barrel.

Here is a solution to your "delimma": Get BOTH rifles. That way your only real problem is deciding which one to get first.

As for my humble opinion on which rifle do I prefer shooting...I prefer the M1A. Though I have to "baby" it more than the FAL. It just shoots nicer, is more accurate, and it just gives me more confidence of being able to shoot beyond medium ranges with the .308 round and hit what I am shooting at.

It should also be said that the BEST receivers are Norinco receivers. Because Norinco Drop Forges their receivers just like TRW did for the M14. However, should you get a Norinco M14 you will have to have it completely rebuilt. But then you would have a rifle that would be (except for the plugged up hole for the selector switch and the funny receiver markings) a rifle that is identical to the M14.
Drop Forged Receivers have a grain structure that is more dense than Cast Receivers and as a result they are stronger.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Unless you are going to do some serious long-range shooting, I'd do this- get a 16" or 18" FAL carbine from Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems.  He'll build you a gun on an Imbel or DSA receiver with like-new metric parts in about any configuration you want.  Go check out his website and look at the photos of some of the guns he's built- they're absolutely top-notch.  And it'll be quite a bit cheaper than a DSA standard gun.  If you get an ARS gun with the Imbel receiver it'll run you about $1075, $1175 with the DSA.  You can pick your muzzle device, get a folding cocking handle, etc. for not a lot of extra dough.

Then, after you re-build your cash supply, find yourself a Springfield standard M1A receiver and send it to Fulton Armory to have Clint make it into a standard-grade rifle.  He's also top-notch, and the rifle you get will far outclass any Springfield standard or loaded gun.  All GI parts hand-fitted, none of Springfield's cast parts with dubious hardness.

Both rifles are outstanding, provided you get them from reputable manufacturers.  If you are able to get only one, I'd get the FAL carbine.  It's lighter and handier, parts and mags are cheaper.  The M1A is still my personal favorite, but objectively I'd have to say get the FAL carbine if you can have only one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#27]
DSA for sure. I think you may be suprised how accurate a DSA can be with good ammo.

Man those FAL's are cool. And alot of fun!
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
The one downside to a DSA rifle is that their integrally-machined muzzle brake is LOUD!!!!!!!!!  ARS can put on a brake or muzzle device that looks good and is not quite as much of a flamethrower, as can Azex, both of whom are great FAL builders.  The Badger barrels DSA uses are excellent and you can get very good accuracy from them, but you're stuck with that flamethrower of a brake.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I own both.

Purchased a standard M1A five or six years ago because I love the "service rifle" gig and always liked the look of the M14. It was, and is, nice. Shoots nice, looks nice, has nice accuracy. Kicks hard, though. Trigger is magic, though. I mention this because...

Then I bought a "loaded" M1A. Stainless barrel, NM 2-stage trigger. It offered no more accuracy and the trigger SUCKED.

Sold the "loaded" M1A and bought a Medium Contour Stainless barrelled FAL from DSA. Has considerably less kick than either M1A, has close to the same accuracy, ergonomics are different (but maybe better, this is a personal choice), and has a better mount for scopes (mine is the zero-movement from DSA). Attaching scopes to the M1A is hard to get right.

I like both. I like the FAL more. I think it would serve me and my family better as a SHTF rifle than the M1A.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Like several posts above I too have both rifles.
I guess I'm curious as to why these two as they are very, very different rifles.

I think part of the decision is your physical size.  The M1A is a handful to shoot off-hand.  My M1A is in .243 and has a fold-down grip under the hand-guard.  The grip does amazing things for me in enhancing the balance of the rifle-better much better.  ("ALLEGEDLY" this rifle was built for a member of the Springfield Armory rifle team.)

If choosing only one rifle I would buy neither but save a few more pennies and buy The Belgium FAL
50.00 L.A.R. Match.
Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#31]
STG 58 is the way to go lots of mags available and one very nice rifle!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top