Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 1:45:48 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying some Lee reloading gear.  Does anyone here have any experience with Lee reloading equipment.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be the first to say

be more specific

What gear?  I use Lee dies and they work great!  I have a hand press, since I live in an apartment, that works fine.  a few other little odds and ends, and it's good stuff, IMHO
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at the die's, press, powder dispencer, and a few other small things
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Their dies are great... I've used the 3 die rifle and pistol sets, and the rifle collet die set, and have had great luck with them.  Don't know much about their other stuff, but they're a good company, so it seems.

I hope you know about Midway USA... a reloaders' heaven
[url]www.midwayusa.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been reloading using the Aniversary kit for about a year now. Works great for me. For a low-cost kit to get you started in reloading, it is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You haven't had the traditional "New Reloader" experience till you have made some ammo on the Lee Loader, and hammered too hard during the primer seating operation.

I prefer RCBS dies, all the way around.  My .30/06 Lee dies use friction(for Pete's sake) to secure the decapping rod.

Everything LEE makes works, but RCBS is worth the xtra $, to me.

LEE bullet moulds? "Mikey Likes It."
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the Lyman stuff compare to Lee and RCBS?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, before the "Lee is crap" people start weighing in...

I have Challenger press and several Lee dies along with Hornady and RCBS.  I also have a Lee Autoprime.  I bought the press in an "Anniversary" kit back about 1987 or so.  I managed to finally break it about 1999.  The cheap pot-metal casting used to connect the steel lever to the press ram failed during full-length resizing of .303 British brass.  Apparently a common failure, that part has been redesigned.  And apparently it still occasionally fails.

My opinion of the Challenger press?  For about $35.00 it can't be beat, but if you've got about $100, get something better.  Mine still works, and I still use it.  

For priming, I haven't seen anything I like better than the Autoprime.  

For neck-sizing, I'll take Lee's collet dies hands-down over anything else.

For standard sizing & seating dies I haven't found Hornady or RCBS to be significantly better than Lee.  Others might.  Especially if those others are precision benchrest shooters (which I am not) and in which case they would stay away from Lee anything anyway.  

If you're a first-time reloader, or on a tight budget (or both) a Lee Anniversary kit is a helluva deal.

Oh, and I have no personal experience, but I've been told the "Perfect Powder Measure" ain't.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
My Bro. has a Lyman O-frame press, and some dies.  It looks like good quality to me. I like Lyman, RCBS and LEE bullet moulds.

My 32 year old RCBS O-frame press just keeps cranking along.
Thank you, American Quality.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I will just say Ditto to everything The Beer Slayer had to say.

I use their Kit for .308 and using IMR4064 was a pain....One load right one and dump the next 5 due to the powder measure.

A lot ov value to that package deal however.

Karsten
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top