Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2001 3:49:17 AM EDT
Is the AR15 significantly louder with a muzzle break than without? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, as are all firearms.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It is SIGNIFICANTLY louder with a muzzle brake.  Also, those to the left and right of you will get a jet wash each shot.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my ak-shorty.  But it is louder than others, by a far sight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I was at the range with a BM Dissipator w/AK brake, and a BM 16" w/o brake.  A shooter 6 benches down from me asked if the Dissipator was a .308.

ph119 is also correct about people to your immediate right and left.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I was told a muzzle brake decreases accuracy, is this true.  I like the way they look, but cant find many positive reasons for having a brake.  Any thoughts
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Muzzle brakes do decrease accuracy a tiny bit, as do flash suppressors. But unless you are shooting in long range 700m + competitions you won't notice the difference. It's not like your nice 1 1/2" group at 100m opens up all the way to 6". More like 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" - 2".

With the addition of an AK brake on my M4 upper, it has noticably less recoil and muzzle rise than my 20" HBar with no brake/suppressor. I'd say that makes the AK M-brake well worth it considering that the M4 is about half the wieght which normally always = more recoil. It is extremely easy for me to pop off back to back shots on my M4 without losing my sight picture. I was telling a friend, it "felt" like I was shooting a Ruger 10/22.

I've never stood next to my M4 to test the side to side volume. At least to me, behind the M-brake, the volume seems a little less than normal.

I've seen some interesting up and coming concepts in M-brakes/suppressors that are actually supposed to increase accuracy. They are still in the research phase.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Fine for the shooter, a bit punishing for the folks to the sides.

I've got a BM 16" carbine and the BM Shorty AK, so I get to test them side by side.

Noticably less muzzle rise with the Shorty AK, though the .223 doesn't have that much to begin with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top