Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2001 10:00:12 AM EDT
Southaven students raising funds to buy gun-sniffing dog
http://[url]www.gomemphis.com/mca/desoto/article/0,1426,MCA_451_881461,00.html[/url]

Is there such a thing as a gun sniffing dog?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
There certainly is. Doggie is trained to indicate when he smells common gun-oils and solvents(et cetera).

This will be a coming attraction at a neighborhood gun confiscation Near You.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know, but I have a crotch sniffing dog I'd sell cheap.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
So, you clean some guns and then go to school and wham, you end up on the pavement face down, handcuffed, getting searched cause some dog smelled Break-Free on your hands.  Then, they say they are sorry, cause of course you are bright enough not to take guns to school.

And we are worried about Harry Potter and Star Wars screwing up kids?

Ice
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There certainly is. Doggie is trained to indicate when he smells common gun-oils and solvents(et cetera).
View Quote

This sounds like an opportunity for litigious parents.

Have your child clean guns with you just before going to school, or use his backpack to temporarily transport the cleaning supplies.  When he gets searched and suspended, voila!  Instant lawsuit and $$$

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It is [B][I]SO [/b][/i] easy to train a dog to sniff out guns.  I'm working on doing that with my dobie now.  I got the "finding them" part down, getting her to have an appropriate "signal" to finding them is the hard part.

I'd like to get her to "signal" any time she detects the scent, not just when we play "where's the gun?"
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about that... but I had a pickup truck that seemed to be trained to pull into gunshop parking lots! 'Course, I was younger, less married and richer, too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
"common gun-oils and solvents(et cetera)"

I know that this is what they train them to smell, but what I don't understand is how they'll keep the dog from going nuts every time it passes near the buildings where they teach shop.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The gift: an $8,000 gunpowder-sniffing dog that'll patrol the schools and city.

You could keep an opened container of gun powder in your childs pack back for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Prior to 9-11-01 I had to air travel and used one of my range bags as a carry on. The bag triggered some sort of sensor in the screening device and they emtied its contents and "swabbed" it and the test showed positive for residue. They opened and checked everything I was carrying. When I explained it was used to carry weapons, ammo and spent shells they seemed to be okay with that explanation. I assume the nitro in the powder was the residue they measured. I would hate to repeat the episode post 9-11-01! Worse even would be to be sniffed out by a dog while you are walking through the airport lobby...

I could see a dog hitting on a kid's backpack if it had been taken on a shooting outing and had spent powder or other residue on it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a fine gun-sniffing dog.  Just try to get out the door with a gun without taking my yellow lab along, it is almost impossible :)
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]

I know that this is what they train them to smell, but what I don't understand is how they'll keep the dog from going nuts every time it passes near the buildings where they teach shop.
View Quote
Easy, just stop shop all together, because someone could get hurt!!!! From my experiance in Jr. High, most people did not take it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Boy, that brings back memories. A friend of ours used to have a ball-sniffing doberman. If he caught you off guard, that sucker would jab you so hard you'd double over.
I used to give him a good slap on the nose every time I went into the house an he quit doing it to me.
View Quote

LOL.  My neighbors across the street had a young dog like that.  They had not trained it well.  They went off to Disneyworld for a week, and I unthinkingly offered to sit the dog (in their house).  After being hit dead center and doubled over a couple of times, I procured a short stick.  At the end of the week, when the neighbors returned, they wondered why their dog was so well behaved and obedient.

I still wonder if I can father any children...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top