Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 9:47:20 AM EDT
I am going to attempt my first transfer.  The FFL is a local gun shop owner that charges 10%.  I know this is a liitle high, especially since its a $500 dollar rifle, but the shop is close to my house.  The rifle is a SSR-85B from Tennesse guns.  
 My question is can I fax a copy of the licence to TN guns or do I have to mail an "ink signed one"?  Also, do I have to have the FFL on file with TN guns before I can pay?  I'd like to have them hold the rifle for me as they seem to be going fast.  Anything else I should know about doing a transfer?  I'm sure I'll be using them in the future a lot.  Thanks

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to mail the "ink signed one". You genenerally have to wait until they receive the FFL before they will take a order. Why should they hold a rifle for someone they have yet to receive a FFL from if they get an order from someone that already has an FFL on file. I've been told by some crappy companies that they will hold a rifle and wait for my FFL, but they didn't, so don't count on it even if they say they will.

Edited to say: I really think you are getting ripped on that 10% transfer fee, most decent FFL's only charge $20.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I generally fax or email my FFL# and address so they can run the EZ check and package it if they will.
They still have to have an FFL in ink to ship.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Mail the signed copy of the FFL and the payment along with a note describing exactly what the payment is for, who it is from and where you expect the gun to be shipped (your dealer). Most dealers will hold a gun for you but don't be slow with the payment. Find out how the gun will be shipped and ask for insurance and a tracking number.  

$50? OUCH!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
 Thanks for the replies.  I'm still confused though.  How can my FFL send his ink signed copy to a company.  Does he have several copies of his licencse and he just resigns each one?  Or does he just have one and TN guns will send it back to him??? I really don't want to look like a newbie retard when I go in there.  I'm okay with looking like one here![:D] Thanks

Oh ya, 10% is a good rate around here.  The other shop that I buy from charges 20%!!!  I think Missouri must just be the mecca for firearm ripoffs.  The same FFL sells SARs for $499-%550.  Another store had an SAR1 for $700! What a deal!  He occasionally has AR15s but they usually run $900-$1000.  This is why I need to learn the art of transfers thoroughly!

Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top