Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 7:52:28 AM EDT
With the Dali Llama coming out for armed self-defense, it seems that there are few major religions that "frown upon" self-defense.  Now we have the Talmud, the Bible, and presumably the Koran that all have pro-self defense teachings.

Are there any religious experts out there that can cite some of these references?  I have a vague notion of the bible story of Jesus being captured by the Romans, with the following types of statement:

He who has no sword shall sell his garment and buy one.

And didn't Jesus say something about how he would surrender peacably, but others should take up the sword?  Or are these two ideas all from the same story?

Someone help me out here...

And what about Eastern religions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you point to a link regarding the Dali Lama and defense?  It would help me greatly in a debate I am having with a peace at all costs columnist.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And didn't Jesus say something about how he would surrender peacably, but others should take up the sword?  Or are these two ideas all from the same story?

View Quote

Yes, same story and yes that's exactly what He said.  The Bible states that it was God's will for His son to be killed to serve as a sacrifice for our sins.  It wasn't like Christ couldn't have stopped the whole ordeal if He wanted to!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The Christian Guide to Small Arms

[url]www.frii.com/~gosplow/cgsa.html[/url]

This will give you a good start.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the Dalai Lama said something like this, in response to a question of what you should do if you're being shot at:
"I think it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun"

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
[red]John 18:36 Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."[/red]

In other words, angels (powerful beings) would have gone to battle for him.  What a slaughter it would have been.....but his murder was planned from the beginning.

As for the apostles, he meant for them to defend themselves because they would be hated for their witness of him.  He also means for us(modern day) to defend ourselves.  Any religion that preaches against self defense cares nothing or has no love for it's members. Same as those religions that ask one to blow themselves into tiny bits(and take others with them).  Christ said turn the other cheek, but he never said allow someone to mame or kill you or your loved ones.

I say, any Religion or God that ask's it's members not to defend themselves against evil, must be in cahoots with that same evil force.  Take liberals and gun haters for instance.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you point to a link regarding the Dali Lama and defense?  It would help me greatly in a debate I am having with a peace at all costs columnist.
View Quote

Try this one on for size:

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
- -Mahatma Gandhi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here you go:  He said that if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=dalai15m0&date=20010515

Also, see what the pope has to say:

"...legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life, the common good of the family or of the State. Unfortunately, it happens that the need to render the aggressor incapable of causing harm sometimes involves taking his life. In this case, the fatal outcome is attributable to the aggressor whose actions brought it about, even though he may not be morally responsible because of a lack of the use of reason."

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=1088
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Must...... not....... participate in..... religion..... thread......

Must........... resist..........

Avoid...... quagmire......... sarcasm overload.......
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always looked at it like this:
God's greatest gift to me is life.
Me allowing someone else to take that gift from me without a fight is telling God you do not appreciate His gift.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've always looked at it like this:
God's greatest gift to me is life.
Me allowing someone else to take that gift from me without a fight is telling God you do not appreciate His gift.  
View Quote

Your definately ont he right track. Jesus said turn the other cheek. Thats for insults. He did not say let your girlfriend or wife get raped or assaulted and you stand back and watch, He also did not say to let yourself get shot. The Lord always chose sides in a  war look at David for example. God is ruthless when it comes to His people being attacked. You CAN fight. If you go back to the Hebrew looking at the 10 Commandments its literal translation is not "Thou shalt not kill" becuz people in the bible did a lot of it and were supported by God. Its literal translation is actually "Thou shalt not MURDER"
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I started going to the Baptist church,about a year before I was married.I became good friends with the Reverend Taylor.He was a great guy.I was to build him some book cases in payment for my wedding.He supplied the material and I the labor.I remember him opening his garage door.There on the back wall was a sign:THIS HOUSE GAURDED BY A SHOTGUN 3 NIGHTS A WEEK.YOU GUESS THE NIGHTS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top