Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2001 7:21:24 AM EDT
Granted that stars wars dosnt use a word like Witch//wizard but what the hell is the FORCE its a force thats not christian. Nobody whines about that but Harry Potter is evil come on. Just a little to far....Its a kids movie take for what its worth....

I didnt read the other topics on this so I dont know If someone brought this point up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The force is made up of all sorts of little "entities" that inhabit all living things.  In fact we are just colonies of them. ( I will have to watch episode 1 to get the name again).

I have as much proof as to their existance as I do for witchcraft. Afterall they are both in books and both in movies.

Oh BTW episode 2 comes out in May 2002.  I will be there with my son and daughter for sure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Here's an interview from....

Harry Potter Special [Magazine] interviews actors Daniel Radcliffe (Harry), Rupert Grint (Ron), Tom Felton (Draco), Harry Melling (Dudley):

[i]If you could cast a spell on someone, what would it be?Daniel: "If I liked them, it would be a spell where I'd give them special power, like invisibility.Your favorite word in the Harry Potter books?Daniel: "I like the word--it's very bad to say this--but I like the word Voldemort."What magical power would you like to have?Rupert: "I'd like to levitate."Do you prefer to play a bad or good character?Tom: "Bad. It's more fun because it is different.What magical power would you want to have?Tom: "Invisibility. So I could sneak around and go places I shouldn't."Did you find it hard torturing Harry?Harry M: "No. I found it quite fun, actually."[/i]

Yeah, that's some good, wholesome, beneficial stuff we NEED Americas children focusing on. [rolleyes]

"Do whatcha want with yer own kids - just don't make me pay for the psychologists who will have to straighten out their screwed up minds after watching this crap." [;)]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh right, like no kid ever fantasized about flying or making a wish or having special powers before Harry Potter came out.
Get real.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The little things in star wars are called midichlorians. They maintain a symbiotic relationship with us, their host organisms.

I've heard that in the Potter series(I haven't read/seen it and don't plan to. I'm waiting for lord of the rings), magic is reliable and documented - so it would be like a science. So if you treat the magic as a skill/field of study, and the wizard school as simply a school, the basic plot of the stories boils down to:

Harry is abused in a broken home
Harry gets an opportunity to escape to a vocational school/ institution of higher learning.
Harry grows up, learning about life, good/evil, responsibility, etc, etc, etc....
Harry solves real-life problems and combats evil.

Sounds like a fairly decent story to me.
And hey, if it gets kids to read, perhaps it's better that they read about wizards than staring at Britney Spears on MTV.

And yes, come May, I will be camped out to get tickets to Episode II.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I,generally, agree with you on most things garandman.

But on this topic we go our seperate ways. Your views are like my work partner's. And I just don't get why you two hold onto them so tight.

I, and my daughter (13), know that Harry Potter and all fantasy fiction is just that, fiction. If a parent hasn't taught their kid that, then they aren't parenting good enough.

Fantasy fiction is probably my favorite genre. But I know it to be fiction. Thus, an escape from lifes day to day pressures. But what about the Lord? Yes, He is there for life's BIG stuff. And I rely on him on a regular basis for all things serious.

For a quick laugh, I go to fantasy FICTION.

This is not meant to flame you, of course, just to let you know I don't see your point to the same degree you do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh right, like no kid ever fantasized about flying or making a wish or having special powers before Harry Potter came out.
Get real.
View Quote

Thta's NOT the point, Rik.

Read teh interview I excepted from.

In TWO of the interviewees, they SPECIFICALLY indicated tehy would use their "powers" to do that which they KNEW to be wrong.

Beyond that, the interviewee finds torturing to be "fun?"

That's not entertainment. THAT'S SICK.

"Do whatcha want with yer own kids - just don't make me pay for the psychologists who will have to straighten out their screwed up minds after watching this crap." [;)]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
What sort of kids do you know Garandman?  Sounds like you do not know any REAL ones.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...magic is reliable and documented - so it would be like a science. So if you treat the magic as a skill/field of study, and the wizard school as simply a school, the basic plot of the stories boils down to:

Harry is abused in a broken home
Harry gets an opportunity to escape to a vocational school/ institution of higher learning.
Harry grows up, learning about life, good/evil, responsibility, etc, etc, etc....
Harry solves real-life problems and combats evil.

Sounds like a fairly decent story to me.
View Quote

That is a pretty accurate description from someone who hasn't read the books. [;)]

I read them to see what my daughter was reading, especially after hearing what was being said about the books.

They are a decent and positive story.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't read the books, but I understand he's basically a kid in 'witch school'?  I don't understand the religious angle on this one.  Yeah, sure, he's a warlock or whatever, but it's fantasy.  Witch-type powers aren't real.  These books/movies are speculating what it might be like to grow up in a world where witchcraft DOES work.  If you could teach someone how to do this stuff, there would probably be trade schools for it just like there is now for metalworking, computer programming, etc., and I imagine the Bible would have been quite a bit different --  Probably attributing these powers as a gift from God (which I guess they would be, if they really existed).

I'm not all that familiar with the Bible, but it generally looks down on mystic, witch-doctor type stuff and declares it unholy.  I wonder if the authors of the bible were hip to the fact that these folks were shams, and they were trying to protect people from these con-men.  

Just a speculation from your friendly neighborhood agnostic. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I,generally, agree with you on most things garandman.

This is not meant to flame you, of course, just to let you know I don't see your point to the same degree you do.
View Quote

That's fine Johhny.

I'm sure MOST children (like yours) will be JUST fine. See my "what the Bible says" thread.

But think a moment about the Klebolds and the Harriss's of the world, the Columbine killers, the Pearl, Miss. shooters, and all the other juvenile delinquents of the world.

Do you see Harry Potter provoking them to good, or to evil??

read the interview I excerpted from above. TWO of teh interviewees SPECIFICAALLY stated they would use their magical powers to do that which they KNEW to be wrong.

I'm not saying that Harry Potter is teh embodiment of evil. I'm saying that my personal decisioon would be NOT to expose an impressionable child to this type of crap.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
That's not entertainment. THAT'S SICK.
View Quote

I think he was being tounge-in-cheek.  He was probably saying that he enjoyed doing that scene.  They were probably cutting up between takes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not all that familiar with the Bible, but it generally looks down on mystic, witch-doctor type stuff and declares it unholy.  I wonder if the authors of the bible were hip to the fact that these folks were shams, and they were trying to protect people from these con-men.  

. [:)]
View Quote

Actually, the Bible is replete with eye-witness accounts of supernatural actions being performed for both good and evil.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny you should write this.  The most screwed up people I've encountered in life have been former Catholics and/or members of other Christian based religious sects where their parents went totally overboard with the whole religion thing.

I would also have to say that the most outspoken atheists I've met were former Catholics.

Who's paying the bills for all the kids screwed up by religious kooks of all flavors?  How is witchcraft any worse than Christianity?  Laugh... Getting back on that old crusade horse again?

Wasn't it the Christians who were responsible for the wholesale slaughter of women whom they deemed to be witches?  It's it the mantra of Christians to live and let live?  

I find it comically ironic that one religious kook thinks another kooks religion will screw up kids... all the while thinking theirs will help kids!  Laugh... a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't you guys have fun burning witches at the stake?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I don't see the Harris's and Klebold's of the world reading anything like this. [;)]

But Harry is in a school that teaches the students how to use magic, and what is right and wrong. Harry does have an invisiblity cloak and he does wonder around in places he shouldn't. But then what 10-12 year old dosn't? I just don't see Harry as anything but a normal kid, albeit, with a special talent that would not provoke malcontents to do bad.

I started reading these with a mind that I would object to their content. I came away with the opinion that they are not really any different then the Hardy Boys mysteries I read as a kid. Execpt these have a little mix of mythological creatures and the old mythological magic to spice it up.

I almost be willing to bet that you haven't read one of the Harry Potter books, garandman. And in my experience, the most vocal detracters haven't.

May I suggest you borrow one from the library. Keep it from your kids, but read it yourself and see if, at the end, they are as bad as you now think.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Actually, the Bible is replete with eye-witness accounts of supernatural actions being performed for both good and evil.
View Quote

Hmm. That is true.
But doesn't the Bible make specific references to certain supernatural actions or practices that are 'evil', like using powers to control someone else's actions or thoughts?

Okay, here's one:  If the Bible sees supernatural powers as the forces of both good and evil, is that very different from Harry Potter?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't you guys have fun burning witches at the stake?
View Quote

You aren't REALLY trying to equate my stand with a particular religious sect that of almost 400 years ago?? Tell me you are not REALLY trying to do that. I mean that would simply be a foolish comparison.

My stands have ALL been Biblical. And the only thing the Bible supports "burning at the stake" is a half cow on a spit over an open flame. Those who burned witches at the stake simply WERE NOT doing so at the behest of Scripture, no matter how much they, or you, want to claim they were.

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But think a moment about the Klebolds and the Harriss's of the world, the Columbine killers, the Pearl, Miss. shooters, and all the other juvenile delinquents of the world.
View Quote

And in your less than inspired opinion kids raised as Christians aren't capable of such atrocities?  Hummm??

I think you need to do a little more research into school shooters before you condemn every non-Christian child or family.

Again, the BLOODIEST religion in history is Christianity.  But I'm sure you'll claim "we're not like that anymore".  Sorry, but people (especially Christians) love to use religion as an excuse to commit genocide.  Just look at your disgust for any religion not Christian... You think everyone should be just like you, or their children will grow up to be mass murderers.  Jesh... get a grip and stop preaching fear and hatred.  It sounds like you're trying to get the Salem witch hunt rekindled.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

In that case wwe had better ban "lord of the rings" and practcally all fantasy books and many other works of fiction, no to mention real life.

For those people that cannot tell fact from fiction and /or right from wrong, there is very little anyone can do to lead them to where they should be. I feel that in most instances if the parents have done there job, the kids know what is right and wrong. Who has not seen a kid play with a wooden sword or other toy that pretends to inflict damage on his playmates. But almost all grow up to do the right thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I almost be willing to bet that you haven't read one of the Harry Potter books, garandman. k.
View Quote

I have stated as much in another thread that I started this morning - the one I encouraged you to read. it gives a more comprehensive treatment of my beliefs on the subject.

In it, i make the statement that IF Harry Potter is about witchcraft, then.....

Comparatively,

I don't need to try LSD to know its effects either.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You aren't REALLY trying to equate my stand with a particular religious sect that of almost 400 years ago?? Tell me you are not REALLY trying to do that. I mean that would simply be a foolish comparison.
View Quote

Hey pal, who's in here warning people that if their kids see the Harry Potter movie that they run the risk of raising a Columbine killer?

You're demonizing a religion you know nothing about.  You're probably one of those who think being a witch is synonymous with being a Satan worshiper.

Good little Christian kids pick up guns and kill people too, but you seem to imply that they don't.  

You might not realize it, but you're on a miniature witch hunt right now in this forum.  Read what you've written and my analogy won't seem so ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And in your less than inspired opinion kids raised as Christians aren't capable of such atrocities?  Hummm??
View Quote

Did I make ANY such accusation?? SHOW IT TO ME.

I regard this an attempt to paint me as an evil person by false association. Its a violation of the rules of argument, and frankly, beneath you.

I think you need to do a little more research into school shooters before you condemn every non-Christian child or family.
View Quote

It is a well-established psychological profile of school shooters that they have almost ALL participated in torture of dogs and cats BEFORE they murdered their classmates.

I simply make the logical extension that as Harry Potter to some extent glamorizes torture (see the article I quoted) that there MAY be repercussions in teh future.

Again, the BLOODIEST religion in history is Christianity.  But I'm sure you'll claim "we're not like that anymore".  
View Quote

No matter how much you may wish to lump me in with those actions, the simple fact is that they are not Scriptural. Its not that "christians are like that anymore" - its that TRUE Christians have NEVER been like that.

TRY and understand that.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I love when people make comments about something they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT.  Harry Potter is not about witchcraft, as you are trying to claim, and you have absolute no authority to refute that statement, because I have read the books, you have not.  Harry potter has an element of magic to it, just as do any fantasy books, inclusing LOTR.  The main characters in the books use their magic capabilities for good, not evil.  Its a tool, just like a gun, that is used responsibly by the heroes of the story.  It says alot about you as a person, that you dont understand this concept. I find it truly sad that you are sheltering your kids from something that you know nothing about, something that is completely innocent.  Your kids are obviously destined to live a sheltered life in many other ways.  The more life decisions you try to spoonfeed them, the less decision making ability they will have when they grow up, and when it comes time for them to make those big decisions on their own, they will be at a severe disadvantage, and it will be your fault for bad parenting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The force is made up of all sorts of little "entities" that inhabit all living things.  In fact we are just colonies of them. ( I will have to watch episode 1 to get the name again).

I have as much proof as to their existance as I do for witchcraft. Afterall they are both in books and both in movies.

Oh BTW episode 2 comes out in May 2002.  I will be there with my son and daughter for sure.
View Quote
I'll watch it too, but I hope like hell they've found someone to play Annakin Skywalker who can [i]freaking [b]act![/i][/b]

Edited to add:

My favorite story of "keeping children away from bad books" was a story I read on book-banning.  It seems a school system had its Board of Stupidvisors review the list of new books the library wanted to purchase.  [u]Uncle Tom's Cabin[/u] and a few of the other regular "banned" books were, of course, immediately put on the verboten list, but one entitled [u]Making it with Madame Oselle[/u] was also rejected.

[u]Making it with Madameoselle[/i] was a book of dress patterns published by Madameoselle magazine.  Funny what you see when you aren't willing to look, isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey pal, who's in here warning people that if their kids see the Harry Potter movie that they run the risk of raising a Columbine killer?

You're demonizing a religion you know nothing about.  You're probably one of those who think being a witch is synonymous with being a Satan worshiper.

View Quote

Your reading and comprehension skills suck. You ability to level false accusations is outstanding.

RE-READ what I actually posted. Here - I'll help you....

Origianlly posted by garandman:
I'm sure MOST children (like yours) will be JUST fine. .

View Quote

Can you grasp that?? MOST will be fine. Kids pre-disposed to violence, who ALREADY have a history of torturing cats, MAY be prompted to act our their agressions due to the midset ALREADT documented (see teh article excerpted) that kids if given magical powers, WOULD use them to do that which they KNOW to be WRONG.

I have NEVER said all non-Christian kids will grow up to be evil. I have NEVER accused you of being a cross-dresser. So QUIT with teh false accusations. Its beneath you, and it irritates me.

How's about we agree to disagree??? No one EVER changes their minds in this forum anyway.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
"I simply make the logical extension that as Harry Potter to some extent glamorizes torture (see the article I quoted) that there MAY be repercussions in teh future."

It absolutely DOES NOT.  How the hell would you know?  YOU HAVENT READ IT.  You are making statments about something YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did I make ANY such accusation?? SHOW IT TO ME.

I regard this an attempt to paint me as an evil person by false association. Its a violation of the rules of argument, and frankly, beneath you.
View Quote

Here's where I sense that this indeed implied from your comments:

Quoted:
I'm sure MOST children (like yours) will be JUST fine. See my "what the Bible says" thread.

View Quote

It certainly seems to me that you're saying by seeing a movie these kids will be inspired to do evil things.  I'm sorry, but this is lunacy.  Wouldn't you think a shoot'em up flick where people are hacking and slashing each other would be FAR more harmful than a fairytale such as the Harry Potter to a kids psyche?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"I simply make the logical extension that as Harry Potter to some extent glamorizes torture (see the article I quoted) that there MAY be repercussions in teh future."

It absolutely DOES NOT.  How the hell would you know?  YOU HAVENT READ IT.  You are making statments about something YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.
View Quote

Read the article I excerpted.

I freaking QUOTE THE FREAKIN ACTORS.

[:D]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#29]
i read quite a bit when i was young and impressionable.  ususally i read science fiction and fantasy books. sometimes even when my parents didnt know, i even read some very graphic horror novels.  sure after reading some of the science fiction and fantasy, i wanted to be just like the heroes of the story, like the sword wielding heroes who slaughtered their foes, and sure i wanted to be able to cast spells to make myself have magical powers, and sure i enjoyed the bloody descriptions of horror and gore.  needless to say, i grew up to be a responsible and god fearing christian husband, and i am sure im not the only one who has this experience.  in the same way that after reading scary books, i understood that there was a reason that they were called "fiction".  and my interest in things like levitation and spellcasting and time travel was relegated to my litereary world, not the real one.  sure, on the playground i may have "pretended" to cast spells or to fly or to even be an evil demon.  but who here never pretended to be the robber when playing cops and robbers, who never pretended to shoot each other, who never pretended that they were invisible?

My point is that, these books are not what should spiritually concern you about what your children encounter.  what you should focus your energy on are the adults of this world that believe in witchcraft not in the fictitious sense who prey upon the children of this world, not who read harry potter, but who feel unloved, estranged or neglected by their parents.  the children and teens that i knew who were interested in a SERIOUS sense about the occult were not those who read the lion witch and the wardrobe, but those who came from broken homes and those whose parents were more concerned with themselves, their careers, etc. etc.

take it for what its worth, but children these days are growing up too fast anyway, witht the world expecting them to behave and think as adults esentially from birth.  let your children enjoy their youth and naturally express their need to fantasize and be creative, because thats what children are supposed to do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It certainly seems to me ...
View Quote

How it "seems to you" and what is going on in reality don't appear to conicide.

You make ASSUMPTIONS that I am saying things that you have heard OTHER religious people say.

So, I get to suffer for the "sins" of others. GREAT.

Try reading what I *******ACTUALLY***** post, in stead of proceeding STRAIGHT to guillotine.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Since the Harry Potter books came out, the number of children who say they enjoy reading has gone up from 10% to 25%.  The woman who wrote these books deserves every dime she gets.

I have not read the Potter books, but the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were the first books I really devoured.  Plenty of religous folks had concerns about those too.  If I had not gotten started reading that crap, I would probably never have gotten to War and Peace.  Sure, it would be great if kids started out reading The Brothers Karamazov, but it is not going to happen.  You have to start somewhere.  And starting with stuff like Harry Potter is better than not starting at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#32]
"Read the article I excerpted.

I freaking QUOTE THE FREAKIN ACTORS."

This is some stupid kid actor commenting about how he feels about his part in the movie, and it has absolutly nothing to do with the story line or moral teachings of the actual books.  Your point is trying to say that the harry potter books glamorize torture, AND THEY DONT. READ THE BOOK BEFORE YOU COMMENT ABOUT THE BOOK. It would be like me commenting and preaching about the bible without reading it.  That wouldnt make much sense would it. Would my view point be given much merit if I never read the bible? NO. Please try to comprehend the concept. You are preaching about something, and basing your viewpoint on hearsay, that you got from some kid who made comments in some article. Pathetic, thats all I can say.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Garandman....

Did you let your children watch starwars...

the 1st 3 episodes  document the life of a fictional charicter that uses magic(the force) and in the end becomes evil(anikin/vader) but is saved by his son who also use magic...or did you draw the line with Harry Potter Because it actually uses the word Witch....

what about
Alice in wonder land.
Land of OZ
etc.

just because some acter said he'd use powers if he had them for evil dosnt make the whole thing evil...When I was a kid I would tell my friends I was choking them with the force or I'd shoot them with force ligthing like the emp...Im christian and Im not evil my 7yr old is christian and she knows its make belive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No matter how much you may wish to lump me in with those actions, the simple fact is that they are not Scriptural. Its not that "christians are like that anymore" - its that TRUE Christians have NEVER been like that.

TRY and understand that.
View Quote

Oh, I'm starting to see how this whole Christian things works now.  Let's see... if someone who is a follower of Christianity commits a heinous act... like the crusades or the witch hunts, then you disavow them and claim they aren't really Christians.  I see.

Boy, the Churches of the day certainly had a different opinion.  Do you also consider Catholics non-Christians?  They refuse to apologize for the crusades... laugh.

I guess Americans who supported the South during and before the Civil War weren't really Americans either... because now it's not popular to support their ideals or actions.

Please.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Your reading and comprehension skills suck. You ability to level false accusations is outstanding.

RE-READ what I actually posted. Here - I'll help you....
View Quote

Nothing false in what I've said... you're just refusing to accept what you've said.  So MOST kids will be fine is your assertion?  Great, then why even concern yourself with it?  I mean, if the movie is no real threat to children in your opinion, there is no point to your comments.  Get it?  You obviously have a beef with witchcraft and the movie or else you wouldn't have made the comments.  Sure, you TRIED to water down your comments to give yourself an easy out by saying "MOST", but I'm not the gullible.

Your ability to dodge the wrath caused by your own comments is legendary.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Garandman....

Did you let your children watch starwars...
View Quote

I don't have any children.

or did you draw the line with Harry Potter Because it actually uses the word Witch....
View Quote

Seemy "Harry Potter - what the Bible says" thread. That pretty much sums up my view.

what about
Alice in wonder land.
View Quote

Saw it as an adult, and have come to believe only a lifelong LSD addict could come to actually enjoy AiW.  [}:D]

just because some acter said he'd use powers if he had them for evil dosnt make the whole thing evil...
View Quote

Does you saying "It could be used for good" makes it good??? Not really. But I'd be willing to put more stock into what the actor says that what you or I think anyway.

But that is irrelevant.  The point I was making is that Harry Potter (evidenced by the multiple proofs I gave)  encourage kids to fantasize about getting away doing what they KNOW to be wrong.

And NO ONE can accuse me of painting their kids a s potential serial killers. I am QUOTING others statements, not making these statements myself.

As I stated in the thread that I encouraged you to read, I said ***** IF ***** harry Potter is about witchcraft, then....

its a simple"If...then...." statement. Don't read more into it than that.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
.  Sure, you TRIED to water down your comments to give yourself an easy out by saying "MOST", but I'm not the gullible.
View Quote

Ahhh, so you are equating me with Clinton, trying to say that when I said "Most" I didn't actually mena "most" -  I was using some alien code language to deceive the gullible.

We'er done here, pal. You can't discuss with people who only want to accuse.

Your ability to dodge the wrath caused by your own comments is legendary.
View Quote

BUUAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a stupid thing to say.

If I REALLY wanted to dodge the wrath caused by my own comments, wouldn't i just NOT MAKE those comments?????

BUAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAH

[shaking head] [rolleyes]

Like I said, we're done here, pal. Or at keast, I'm done with you. Blather on, if you must.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Garandman, I find it funny that you chose not to respond to my posts.  Whats the matter, coudlnt find anything to refute?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Garandman, I find it funny that you chose not to respond to my posts.  Whats the matter, coudlnt find anything to refute?
View Quote

You have to try and exercise a good charachter trait probably NOT taught in the Harry Potter books - one of WAITING YOUR TURN.  [;)]

I'm responding to 3 posters at once.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to try and exercise a good charachter trait probably NOT taught in the Harry Potter books - one of WAITING YOUR TURN.  [;)]

View Quote

In other words, you werent going to, but now that i made a point of it, you will.  You never respoded to my first post, but you respoded to my second.  Doesnt that mean you chose to ignore my first post.  I cant wait to hear your logical explanation to back out of this one..
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"This is some stupid kid actor commenting about how he feels about his part in the movie, and it has absolutly nothing to do with the story line or moral teachings of the actual books.

View Quote

Oh, so the actor knows NOTHING of the storyline of the movie he is acting in, which in large part follows the book. [rolleyes] yes, that was CHOCK full of sarcasm. Silly.

Your point is trying to say that the harry potter books glamorize torture, AND THEY DONT. READ THE BOOK BEFORE YOU COMMENT ABOUT THE BOOK.
View Quote

Yet another inaccurate accusation. I said that the ACTOR in the MOVIE found the concept of torturing to be "fun." Actually, I didn't say that - THE ACTOR DID.

yeah, I hear it coming - "Its just a fantasy, work of fiction book." And would you care to explain to me in WHAT context torturing can be considered "fun?"

To my recollection, I've said nothing about the book.

Further it is a well documented fact that sight and sound have a greater ability to affect teh human psyche than written words on a page. So, my concern is re: the movie. And the comments the ACTORS made about it. If my concern were about the book, why did I wait till the movie came out to raise concerns?? I have never to my recollection, weighed in on this subject before now.

It would be like me commenting and preaching about the bible without reading it.  That wouldnt make much sense would it.
View Quote

LOTS of people on here do that. And no - it doesn't make much sense

What can I say?? I quoted the actors who STARRED in the movie, and I found their comments cause for concern. If their comments are inaccurate, then your REAL beef is with them, and NOT with me. Act accordingly.

You are preaching about something, and basing your viewpoint on hearsay, that you got from some kid who made comments in some article. Pathetic, thats all I can say.
View Quote

Again I repeat

What can I say?? I quoted the actors who STARRED in the movie, and I found their comments cause for concern. If their comments are inaacurate, then your REAL beef is with them, and NOT with me. Act accordingly.

And BTW - these aren't "some kids" -  they STARRED in teh movie. But then, we would be remiss to think they know ANYTHING about the movie they starred in [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

In other words, you werent going to, but now that i made a point of it, you will.  You never respoded to my first post, but you respoded to my second.  Doesnt that mean you chose to ignore my first post.  I cant wait to hear your logical explanation to back out of this one..
View Quote

As no explanation would suffice, even a completely rational one, like I'm respnding to THREE PEOPLE AHEAD OF YOU AT ONCE, you will receive no explanation.

My daddy taught me NOT to piss on a electric fence. (Uhhh, you would be the fence in this illustration)

[}:D]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Granted that stars wars dosnt use a word like Witch//wizard but what the hell is the FORCE its a force thats not christian. Nobody whines about that but Harry Potter is evil come on. Just a little to far....Its a kids movie take for what its worth....

I didnt read the other topics on this so I dont know If someone brought this point up.
View Quote

Burn, I highly suggest you go to [url]www.google.com[/url] and enter "star wars satan" without the quotes.  You'll be amazed at what comes up.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Not to worry, jamon -

Others have suffered WORSE indignities at my hands that you have.

There have been posters that I havn't even READ their posts.

The great injustice I have done you is ONLY in not responding to every posts you have made, and then in not doing it in the first thrity minutes after your post.

But then, the WHOLE WORLD ******SHOULD ****** stop for YOU - SIMPLY because you are, well..... YOU.

[rolleyes]

Here's you teething ring.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Garandman...ok so yo u dont have children...Have you watched star wars....if and when you have children can they watch star wars.

with its evil withcraft the force.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ahhh, so you are equating me with Clinton, trying to say that when I said "Most" I didn't actually mena "most" -  I was using some alien code language to deceive the gullible.

We'er done here, pal. You can't discuss with people who only want to accuse.
View Quote

To my knowledge we're not discussing the definition of "is". You introduced the Clinton analogy, not me... although it's fitting to a degree.  He ran from his mistakes too.  What I'm asking you is quite simple and clear, yet it upsets you to the point where you accuse me of making accusations then run off claiming we're done.  Laugh.

Here's the valid question I asked which you seem to be unable to answer.  If MOST children won't be negatively impacted by watching the Harry Potter movie, what was the point of your comments?  If you're not implying the Harry Potter movie inspires kids to do heinous things (you used the Columbine killers as an example), then what are you saying?  You can't explain that, and now you're "done with me".  

Otay, whatever.  Run Forest, RUN!  [:D]

If I REALLY wanted to dodge the wrath caused by my own comments, wouldn't i just NOT MAKE those comments?????
View Quote

Laugh, more of that Christian logic?  Well, if I have to spell it out for you I guess I will.

You make a stupid statement which at the time you think is insightful or perhaps witty.  Someone else comes along and challenges your statement.  You dodge the questions and tell everyone whom you disagree with and who's caught you in some BS that "you're done with them".

Laugh, whatever.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The main characters in the books use their magic capabilities for good, not evil.  Its a tool, just like a gun, that is used responsibly by the heroes of the story.  .
View Quote

OK, here's your first post to me, and you DID NOT do yourself proud in it.

You compare magic to a gun.

Let's see - the whole concept of magic is that it itself is an animate force.

Guns are inanimate.

Magic is NOT a tool - it is an animate force.

You know, posting inane stuff like this will get you ignored even MORE frequently by me.

Feel free to post whatever you want, I'll not respond to it. Mostly because I already have.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#48]
You are funny man.  Your completely trying to rewrite what your original point was, not just in this thread but others.  Your point is to say that HARRY POTTER in general is evil because it is all about witchcraft. And now you are trying to tell me that you are simply commenting on what the actor kid said.  

"Oh, so the actor knows NOTHING of the storyline of the movie he is acting in, which in large part follows the book.  yes, that was CHOCK full of sarcasm. Silly."

He may know something about the story line, but what he finds "fun" does not speak for the moral basis of the story, now does it?

"To my recollection, I've said nothing about the book."

But you have, havent you.  Your statments have been about the HARRY POTTER the STORY in general. This means your comments are about the book. The book IS the story.

"If my concern were about the book, why did I wait till the movie came out to raise concerns?? I have never to my recollection, weighed in on this subject before now."

I dont know thats a good question.  Maybe your reading skills arent very high and you had to wait for the movie to come out to make an argument.

"LOTS of people on here do that. And no - it doesn't make much sense"

So why are you doing it?

"What can I say?? I quoted the actors who STARRED in the movie, and I found their comments cause for concern. If their comments are inaccurate, then your REAL beef is with them, and NOT with me. Act accordingly."

No my Beef is with you, because you are the one trying to make some rediculous statment that Harry Potter is evil because its about witchcraft, and using some actor kids statments to back you up as evidence. Like i said, pathetic.

Your argument skills are lacking.  You make statments about something, in general terms, and then you try to say you never said them to cover up for your inability to defend them. I have to agree with WGuns on this one.

"Your ability to dodge the wrath caused by your own comments is legendary."

Keep up the good work, if nothing else it is amusing at least.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Garandman...ok so yo u dont have children...Have you watched star wars....if and when you have children can they watch star wars.

with its evil withcraft the force.
View Quote

I have seen parts of StarWars.

If the "Force" they are referring to has any connection with witchcraft or the Occult, they the producers of Star Wars did a poor job of communicating it, as I missed it.

I am a big Star Trek fan. They deal with both evolutionary concepts and teh beleif of God as irrelevant.

With regard to whether I' would  let my children watch Potter, Star Wars, and Star Trek, I would NOT, not until I had firmly grounded them in teh truth of God's Word, AND they had exhibited teh ability to analyze the world in teh light of the Word of God.

Yes, I know - I'm a facist / book burning / Nazi sympathizer. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Again, the BLOODIEST religion in history is Christianity.
View Quote

Even bloodier than a religion who's primary form of spreading has historically been war and has a name for it? (HINT: the word is "Jihad.")  I suggest you go back and look at the history of the Middle East, specifically where it involves the muslim invasions of Syria, Jordan, Palestine (Jerusalem), Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Iran, all of North Africa, parts of India, parts of China, and later Spain.  As Mohammed himself said "I have been ordered by God to fight with people till they bear testimony to the fact that there is no God but Allah and that Mohammed is his messenger, and that they establish prayer and pay Zakat (money). If they do it, their blood and their property are safe from me" (see Bukhari Vol. I, p. 13).

Your statements betray your ignorance of the subject.

God Bless Texas
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top