Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2001 6:22:33 AM EDT
Found LOTS of anti links by doing a Google search for "Atlanta gun show."  I also found this... Can't tell if it's anti or not.  What do you think?

[url]atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2001-04-11/news_feature3.html[/url]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The article has good quotes from people with pro gun views, and none from anti.  But the author mocks gun shows and gun owners every chance he gets.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The article itself is not too anti...but as Shazbat said. He takes a very mocking tone.  As such it is anti in the end.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's my e-mail to the author (in my spare time I also tilt at windmills [;)]:
Cute article.  I must ask, do you own a gun?  From the tone of the article I'd doubt it.  Or if you do, you're one of the people who consider themselves somehow superior to the rest of the unwashed masses.  May I make just a couple of points?  The "anti-gun crowd" as you call them are intent on getting law after law passed that will eventually lead to gun control as is currently practiced in England.  (Trigger locks are just one more attempt.  It isn't the locks we object to, it's the "mandatory" part.) In fact, they often point to England as the place that has done gun control right.  Unfortunately, what they don't tell you is that it has resulted there in a population legally restricted from using firearms (or pretty much any weapon other than harsh language) in self-defense.  Trigger locks?  Piker law, old boy.  The British must keep their licensed and registered rifles and shotguns (licensed and registered handguns were confiscated in 1996) locked up and separate from the ammunition which is also locked up.  The steadily increasing restrictions on gun ownership have resulted in a steadily decreasing number of legal gun owners.  Something devoutly to be wished by "the gun control crowd" here, no?

The result?  Well, while England's homicide rate is well below ours (and has been since the 1920's when neither country had any gun control laws to speak of) their violent crime rate (rape, robbery, assault) is well in excess of ours.  And their rate of firearms crime, especially committed with handguns, is increasing rapidly.  Not surprisingly, while our homicide rates have been trending down for the last nine years, theirs have been trending up.  Bureau if Justice Statistics reports indicate that if the trend continues (unlikely, I know, but interesting nonetheless), the UK and the US will have equal homicide rates about 2005.  It seems that the criminals there have discovered their victims are defenseless.

For the first time ever, some English beat cops are going out armed with handguns (devices prohibited to the general population that ISN'T criminal), and the prediction is that more will be soon.  The small number of armed police squads that respond to calls requiring them have replaced their 9mm submachine guns with more powerful 5.56NATO carbines in order to "keep up" with the criminals.  And these squads are being used far more often now than just a few years ago.  Guns, up to and including fully-automatic weapons, are available on a booming black market.

I have to ask, would you rather live in Manchester England (also known as "Gunchester" due to its gun-violence problems) or Kennesaw Georgia, where gun ownership is almost universal?

Finally, the "innocuously titled" Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence was formerly known as Handgun Control.  The "innocuously titled" Coalition to Stop Gun Violence was formerly known as The Coalition to Ban Handguns.  It's not the name that counts, it's the intent behind the organization.  The membership of Citizens for Safe Government may believe that a universally armed citizenry is a good idea, but you don't see them lobbying the federal government to make it mandatory.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Only anti-gunners use pictures of guns aimed directly at the camera.  It gets their point across well.  "All guns are pointed at you!"

Only pro-gunners show pictures of guns being handled safely and responsibly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top