Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2001 12:43:19 AM EDT
Anybody getting a good show? I got too much fog here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Foggy as hell down here in Vancouver also  [:(]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing here yet.  Here is about 34 43’ N latitude and 82 15’ W longitude.  I just came-in from an hour outside.  There is some cloud cover, but about half of the sky is still visible.  I've never seen a meteor, and if I don't tonight, then I might never, so I'm headed back-out to try again.z

Some tips:

[url]www.spaceweather.com/meteors/leonids/observingtips.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing here, either. Too many nearby lights. (I wonder if Zoom is the guy in the SUV in the church parking lot across the street? We both live in Spartanburg Cty)
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty neat here in middle TN. Cloudless sky; wife and daughter are lying in the driveway watching.

40MIKE
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Not quite what I had imagined.  I just spent 15 minutes outside ate 5:15 am in NYC......Im freezing...just a coupla streaks in the sky every minute or so.  I dont really know what I was expecting.  Looks like a shooting star...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Mostly clear here in south central Iowa.  Drove out in the country and parked on a gravel road.  Must have seen about 40 of them in about 1 hour.  Sometimes 3 or 4 at a time, like bright shooting stars leaving streaks.  Tried to get the wife up, but it ain't happening.  It was the most I have ever seen at one time obviously.  Not bad show, but I am going back to bed.

patsue
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Dense Fog Advisory here in Michigan.  Drove all over trying to get a glimpse.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Well in Vegas (visiting), it's pretty cool.  Saw a few good ones, bunch of smaller ones zipping around.  Fun stuff.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got done watching the blunt of it, pretty cool for rocks burning up in our atmosphere![:D] I even caught a few of them going side to side through the sky, that was really neat. I will admit this is the most I think I have ever seen and ever will see in my life. I don't think I'm gonna want to stay up this late again in 33 years.  

SKSseven <~~~ tired, going to bed!  [|)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn fine show here in California....Feel like a kid oohing and aweing at a bunch of rocks, unlike the fossilized fart I am.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I am in NE PA, I was watching for about an hour or so, I lost count after about the first 20 minutes... Indeed a spectacular event.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
It figures. Even stuff coming from light-years away avoids Spartanburg, SC like the plague. I bet the folks in Greenville got one hell of a show, the bastards.           Edited to say that right after I posted, I went out for one last try, and actually saw a few good ones, moving REALLY fast, a couple leaving some good trails.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Foggy as hell down here in Vancouver also  [:(]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
View Quote

A couple of miles South in Portland it's not foggy.  Sat around it the Hot-tub and watched a bunch of 'em.  There were a few lulls in the action.  Luckily I had a woman with me. [:D].

Next year, I'm definitely going to be half way up South Sister (the name of a mountain in case you rednecks gets any ideas [:D]), for a meteor shower or two.  That one has a big flat just above timberline that goes for miles, and miles, and miles.....

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dense Fog Advisory here in Michigan.  Drove all over trying to get a glimpse.
View Quote

Same here in Louisville, KY. Drove around trying to find a spot, gave it up and drove back home. Got out of the car, looked straight up and sure enough, saw one right through the fog! Stood out by my car and in about 15 minutes saw about 8/9. Had to be fairly decent sized, so I could see them through the fog! Wish I would have been in AZ!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#16]
It looks great here in West central Arkansas. A little bit of high cloud cover. I just came in cause it was getting colder but the display was puttin out 5 or 6 a minute and they did seem to be traveling in all different directions. Some were so bright they lit up the whole sky practically.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#17]
We sawed about 60 up until now.  That's enough for me, I'm going to bed.  So Calif L.A. clear and cool 50F.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn fog is so thick in the western burbs, that I can hardly see across the street.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice and clear in central Ohio. Great show [x]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#20]
My boys (6 and 9) were up at 4 AM here in Massachusetts to look at it. My wife and I also got up and went out to see it. I wasn't in the greatest mood (NOT an early AM person....) but we counted at least 137 meteors. Hot chocolate with the kiddies afterwards, then back to bed.

The boys were fascinated and quite enthusiastic- so much so, when they started whooping each time they saw meteors streaking across the sky, leaving sparks in their wake, that I think they woke up the neighbors across the street. This family has two knockout brunette bombshell daughters, aged 15 and 18. As my oldest was out there with a pair of binoculars (yes, I know they are useless to look at meteors with, but, try telling that to a 9 year-old...) I'm sure our neighbors thought we were getting an early morning study of nubile female anatomy... :^)
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Thumbs up![8D]

Saw about fifty of them.  Some doubles as well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#22]
No luck in NW Indiana.  we have had heavu fog for past 24 hrs. !!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#23]
... skies were obscured by clouds all night, poor seeing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I was outside between 4:30 and 5:00 AM and the skies were as clear as could be.  Quite an impressive show.  I lost count of the number of meteors that streaked by.  Well worth getting up at 4:30 AM for.

Too bad conditions won't be that ideal for another 100 years.  Also too bad that I couldn't really get back to sleep either....[:(]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Imagine this ... smoggy New Jersey, city lights on all horizons, street lights on every corner.  My daughters & I drove about two miles, out in the corn fields and saw a meteor a minute for well over an hour.  No real biggies, but lots & lots of little buggers. Sometimes three or four together, some that left a streak as long as say, the bucket of the big dipper.  It was an amazingly clear night for NJ (i.e. crappy for the rest of the world). We really lucked out.

When we got home, we enticed Mom out into the back yard & could still see some stragglers, even with the street lights all around.

A reeeeely good show.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Zardoz, that wasn't me in the SUV.  The only sport utility vehicle I own is a good pair of boots. ;)

I spent about 20 more minutes outside, and I didn't see anything.  I had to go in when my neck started aching.  I guess I should have stayed a little longer after seeing what Zardoz posted.z
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
It was amazing up Angeles Crest near Mt. Wilson. It wasn't perfectly clear, there were some scattered high clouds but I could see most of the stars. I estimate about 20 to 100 meteorites per minute at the peak. If it was clearer, probably 300 per minute. I thought the news said that it was supposed to be in a certain section of the sky, Leo, but they were falling everywhere and in every direction. I also kept seeing them on the horizon as I drove home. Most were like normal shooting stars but some were huge. These looked like fireworks. They put out all kinds of colors and sparklers. They left a glowing smoke trail that remained in the atmosphere for about 15 minutes.

The only suck part was the drive home, everyone from LA must have gone up there to check it out. It was bumper to bumper traffic for all 18 miles to the bottom of the mountain. It took 20 minutes to get up to Mt. Wilson and an hour and a half to get down.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, it was too foggy here too...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Zardoz, that wasn't me in the SUV.  The only sport utility vehicle I own is a good pair of boots. ;)
View Quote
I know what you mean, LOL. Can't beat the gas mileage, though!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#30]
The write up in Sky & Telescope hyped this as a possible meteor storm instead of a shower. And it was. I got up at 0330 and watched til 0545. Saw 807. Absolutely amazing.
With good technique and dark skies you'd be surprised how many you can see during just ordinary showers. Look in an almanac or in one of the astronomy magazines for the dates that these occur throughout the year, these are routine, it's just that this one was exceptional. And please keep taking the kids out, we in America need to stimulate our kids interest in the sciences, we are falling behind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Loaded the three Mutant Offspring into the car at 3:15am and drove east from Dallas until we got away from the light pollution and found some holes in the overcast.  We only got about 20 minutes of good viewing before the clouds closed in again but we counted 78.

Most tracked east to west but a significant number travelled almost perpendicular to that axis.  And more unusual were a few that seemed to travel in a arc as if they were coming more straight down.  I began to realize how a rabbit feels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top