Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2001 6:15:50 PM EDT
Some knob on America's Most Wanted did some firearms training.  As he was describing his sidearm the reporter referred to it as a Browning "High-powered" pistol.  Ohhhhh one of those dreaded evil assault 9mm "high-powered" pistols.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some knob on America's Most Wanted did some firearms training.  As he was describing his sidearm the reporter referred to it as a Browning "High-powered" pistol.  Ohhhhh one of those dreaded evil assault 9mm "high-powered" pistols.
View Quote

I'd be mighty pissed if they rented a car from me to perform that "J" turn.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Actually, it's the name of the gun...the Browning Hi Power...just like calling a Glock 27 a Glock 27 or a Browning Buckmark a Browning Buckmark...Hi Power is the name that Browning gave that particular line of handguns.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Keith, I understand that the name is Hi-power but the reporter said "high-powered". It was just another example of a reporter not knowing what he is talking about or not checking the facts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I want one to complete my Auto inventory,  fine pistol. I looooove the nines.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p6e2b0c06e370fefd8caa1c15df6b0633/fe202f22.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
View Quote

You won't be sorry.
The only pistol that feels better in the hand than the 1911.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
WOW!
A front sight that includes a pistol!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, the Standard model has some ridiculous sights IMHO.
The Mark III is much better.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Hay guys,  I've been wanting to get a decent target/plinker pistol in the 9mm. A haveing short stubby thumbs the single stacksfit my hands.  Is there any web sits that have some good info on the Browning 9mm.  I had a Smith model 39yrs ago an liked it, but don't want a S&W now.  Does the Browning have a full recoil spring guide rod or that stubby one that the colt 9s had.  They made the slide a pain in the ass to get back on, an I don't want to even go that route.  
   I've got a Buckmark an a bow from brownng so I know they can make some geat prodcts, just mever had a Hi Power in my hands at the range.  Thanks  JB
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Dear friends, I had two Berettas 92, and this is my first Browning HP. It's a model comparable to the "Vigilante". No Comparison between the HP and the Beretta. I mean: even being 13 rounds, It can be easily concealed and the trigger reach is simply amazing compared to the Beretta one. Even if I would like to have again the definitive 92FS of my life in my safe, I found that HP is still unsurpassed for feeling, precision, recover from recoil, easeness of field stripping in the field of the SA pistols. I'll never sell this jewell...
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
JBA111-
Well, we do have a handgun forum we're trying to get traffic on, so try over there.  Just to give you an overview, the BHP is a more refined design than the Colt Govt Model.  It is far easier to field strip.  

Browning actually died before it was completed, and the design was actually finnished by Dieudonne Saive, who later designed the FN/FAL.  That guy was no slouch as a designer either.  

It is one of those few guns (most of the others are Browning's designs, too) that feel "right" when you pick it up, no matter how old or worn it is.  The quality is still there even on the most abused HP I've owned.  They are one of the great guns of all time, in my opinion.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WOW!
A front sight that includes a pistol!
View Quote

G.W., you crack me up regularly. Outstanding humor.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
This pic is for all you that know more about building guns than John.[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pc1baf3eff1951e2efbb6501056fc338c/fe1fbe3d.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...Is there any web sits that have some good info on the Browning 9mm...
View Quote

Try this one for starters [url]http://www.fnhipower.com/index.html[/url]
About putting the slide back one: this goes without a glitch, even with the short recoil rod. Get a HP and see for yourself.
And now to make your mouth water, here's my GP:

[IMG]http://www.fnhipower.com/images/Rolf_GP_rightside.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah I know, posted it before. But hey, I can't help it, I'm just a weak person. And I also know I have to change the grips, haven't made my mind up yet on what type of wood.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's another BHP forum link.  Its part of the 1911 forums page.

[url]http://www.1911forum.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Browning+Hi-Power&number=5&DaysPrune=45&LastLogin=[/url]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one to complete my Auto inventory,  fine pistol. I looooove the nines.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p6e2b0c06e370fefd8caa1c15df6b0633/fe202f22.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
View Quote

You won't be sorry.
The only pistol that feels better in the hand than the 1911.
View Quote

ALl I can say is - LEGP?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#16]
browning high power the original Wonder 9 [:D]

wish i had money to buy one
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some knob on America's Most Wanted did some firearms training.  As he was describing his sidearm the reporter referred to it as a Browning "High-powered" pistol".
View Quote

I watched this the other night too...
The firearms 'expert' kept telling mr.knob to de-cock the pistol before holstering and cock during presentation.

I didnt' think you had to, or could, do this with a Browning HP. The gun used by mr. knob didn't look like a Browning either. Did anyone see this and get a better look at it than i did?
Just wondering.

BTW, did you catch the 'expert' shooting the three IPSC style targets in the beggining?  He engaged the first two with an AR-15 while moving. Then he transitioned to his sidearm while moving directly towards the targets and shot the final target at point-blank range in the neck from the high ready position.

In my limited 'non-expert' status i was shocked. Shooting that close to a hostile would require firing from retention, NOT from the gun fully up position. I don't think the 'expert' did a good job of explaining to mr. knob why he should holster and un-hoslter as he perscribed.
I hope our SF guys go to better schools than this.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw the piece on AMW, and while it had a couple of errors, it was POSITIVE on self-defense training. Instead of treating people who take their personal security like paranoid schizophrenics, it showed that ordinary people can be trained to survive dangerous scenarios.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched this the other night too...
The firearms 'expert' kept telling mr.knob to de-cock the pistol before holstering and cock during presentation.

I didnt' think you had to, or could, do this with a Browning HP. The gun used by mr. knob didn't look like a Browning either. Did anyone see this and get a better look at it than i did?
Just wondering.
View Quote

He was using one of the new HP-DA pistols, it looks a little different from it's single action brother and has a polymer grip. I ordered one a little over a year ago but it would not accept standard HiPower mags so I returned it and went with another single action HiPower. FN also makes a DAO version as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#20]
It is still my favorite pistol. I would sell all my other guns before that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top