Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2001 2:53:39 PM EDT
I have a bet going with a buddy. SO I would appreciate all the help I could get.
The question is "Do arrows (whot with a regular bow, not a cross bow)penetrate deer more often than not".

thanx
enemy
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you hit the deer, it will penetrate.
Idealy, the arrow should pass through the animal. Is that what you mean?
The one I shot did not protrude from the other side but the deer only went 20 feet before it died anyway.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot a #45 recurve with cedar shafts. It gets full penetration and has made pass trough shots. It is not even low-tech, it's no-tech! I have seen demonstrations on arrow versus bullet penetration and in some applications the arrow out penetrates the bullet many times over.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 70# ALPINE compound bow it easily blows thru deer. Once I shot it at a 5" dia. tree and the arrow came to rest with about 6" hanging out the other side. So the answer is yes!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By enemy of the state:
I have a bet going with a buddy. SO I would appreciate all the help I could get.
The question is "Do arrows (whot with a regular bow, not a cross bow)penetrate deer more often than not".

thanx
enemy
View Quote

Shooting thru the deer hasn't always been the fad; my old man swears the best way is for the broadhead to stay in the animal, doing damage as it runs.  The advent of carbon shafts and high velocity bows has made 'shooting thru' a reality more often than not, but I'm not convinced it's the best way to go.  All the deer I've taken with a bow (70 lb compound with 2113 shafts and 125 grain Thunderheads) stuck in the deer.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you hit a front shoulder, most moder compounds will put it threw.  The exit wound provides a nice blood trial for tracking.

I use a Mathews Solo at 70 lbs. and 125 Sptifires on Carbon Express 300s.  If I'm not shooting down the arrows lost when it goes out the other side and keeps on going.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanx guys! I knew it went through. I used to shoot a Browning Mantis. I never got anything with it, and kinda let school, girls, evrything..come between ws. I think when I'm done with school I will go back to practicing with it.

enemy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top