Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2008 6:28:54 AM EDT
Wow, hispanic congressmen attacking an anti-illegal-alien-criminal newscaster, hmmmmm

Hispanic congressmen demand corporate action against CNN host[Lou Dobbs]
Guardian
Apr 30, 2008
staff
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/28/usa.television
The anti-immigration views of CNN host Lou Dobbs have made him a darling in the ratings but a nemesis among US Latinos, whose frustration has risen to the Washington corridors of power.

After their requests for a meeting with the chief executive of CNN's parent company were rebuffed, Latino members of Congress condemned the TV network for failing to recognise the "potentially dangerous" consequences of Dobbs's "divisive commentary".

Dobbs has become a sensation thanks to his populist outbursts against undocumented immigrants, whom he calls "aliens" and accuses of "invading" America to steal jobs.

The TV host also has targeted the Democratic presidential candidates, naming one segment "Hillary's hypocrisy" and describing Barack Obama's endorsement by Latino governor and former Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson as "pandering to ethnocentric special interests".

Joe Baca, the chairman of the congressional Hispanic caucus, told the Guardian that CNN's parent company should be held accountable for the content of programmes the network airs.

"Words matter and words have power. One-sided rhetoric can lead other programs to cite opinions as fact and adopt polarising word choices as the standard," Baca, whose caucus is influential within the Democratic party, said.

Baca and Latino senator Robert Menendez, a close ally of Hillary Clinton, said they were "deeply offended" by the lack of response from Time Warner, which owns CNN, to their criticism of Dobbs.

"It is additionally offensive that you [failed to respond] on a topic as important and sensitive as your company's treatment and portrayal of Latinos in this country," the two members of Congress wrote to Time Warner chief executive Jeff Bewkes last week.

Despite its political clout, the Hispanic caucus is unlikely to succeed in reining in the popular Dobbs. The president of CNN offered Baca and Menendez a meeting but noted that Time Warner "never interferes with the editorial decision-making of its news operations".

Earlier this month, Dobbs's televised criticism of Pope Benedict XVI for urging the US to adopt a compassionate immigration policy - which the host dubbed "bad manners" - sparked the ire of Catholic groups on both the left and right but brought no ramifications.

La Raza, a grassroots Latino group, also launched a campaign earlier this year called We Can Stop the Hate, attempting to curb anti-immigration TV hosts' misinformation and aggression.

However, the Hispanic caucus has a record of successfully pressing for greater deference to their concerns in the media. Filmmaker Ken Burns agreed to add recognition of Latino soldiers to his World War II documentary, The War, after meeting with Hispanic members of Congress last year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
So let me see if I've got this right; these "hispanic congressmen" actually represent illegal aliens rather than the United States Citizen, and are willing to disband freedom of the press in order to do so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
"This free speech shit MUST BE STOPPED.  HOW DARE him state his opinion!!!"

Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
La Raza is a grassroots organization?  I wonder what flowery term they use to describe the KKK?
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thoughtcriminal!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
They could make a show stating their opinions, but
no one would watch it.

Kinda like Air America.

Dobbs tells the truth, thats what has them worried.
Politicians don't like it when you know the truth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Joe Baca, the chairman of the congressional Hispanic caucus

OK. Fair enough. But to be fair lets hear from the other side of this fence, lets hear what the chairman of the congressional WHITE caucus has to say about it.

Oh wait....
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
No word from that champion of free speech, ACLU.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So let me see if I've got this right; these "hispanic congressmen" actually represent illegal aliens rather than the United States Citizen, and are willing to disband freedom of the press in order to do so.

Well put.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Was there ever any doubt ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Good for Lou.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

OK. Fair enough. But to be fair lets hear from the other side of this fence, lets hear what the chairman of the congressional WHITE caucus has to say about it.

Oh wait....

OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE.... LMAO
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well; those traitorous bastards did swear an oath upon taking office.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck those congressmen, fuck La Raza and fuck all those sorry assholes who continue to cross our border illegally, balkanize our nation and suck the blood right out of us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Fuck those congressmen, fuck La Raza and fuck all those sorry assholes who continue to cross our border illegally, balkanize our nation and suck the blood right out of us.

Well Said LWilde!  I will be writting to Mr. Baca & Mr. Menendez to let them know exactly how I feel on the matter...

Go get em Lou, You're the Man!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Dobbs has become a sensation thanks to his populist outbursts against undocumented immigrants, whom he calls "aliens" and accuses of "invading" America to steal jobs.

Somehow this became

The anti-immigration views of CNN host Lou Dobbs...

Talk about

"Words matter and words have power. One-sided rhetoric can lead other programs to cite opinions as fact and adopt polarising word choices as the standard," Baca, whose caucus is influential within the Democratic party, said.

By just leaving out that little "illegal" adjective.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#17]
As an American of Hispanic  decent and a Combat Veteran  tell the Congressman go Fuck his  Mother!!

Ever hear of Freedom of the Press, you slime bag

Iggyort
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]
The US Attorney for NJ Christopher Christie says being in the US illegally is not a crime. Johnny scumbag Sutton imprisons 2 US border agents. Illegal Aliens are marching TODAY in NYC calling for an end to raids and such. All 3 imbecile candidates voted for the amnesty scam they tried to shove down our throats along with many other traitors who swore an oath to this country, not Mexico. McCain said he got religion from the public outcry. And Bush wants to send $1.4 billion to the Mexican military. SAID WHAT??
There's a lot more of this traitorous shit going on. Idiot voters keep sending the scum back to Congress, repeating the same mistakes over and over, investing in the futile belief that there is actually a difference in the two parties. Just how stupid is that?
Freaking Gordon Brown calling on the US to basically repeal the Declaration of Independence and issue a Declaration of Interdependence to accept global governance.

Then there's these assholes from the other countries calling on the US to open it's borders to immigrants. They want us to give away the whole damn country; why don't they fix their own shitholes first. Hell, considering foreign aid given out for such worthy causes as sending rubbers to Africa, fed.gov IS giving the country away, and you're paying for it. You ever hear talk of increasing efficiency? Talk only.

There's lots of Congressmen I'd like to see serve terms. It would be a term decided upon by a jury, and not the one they hope for. That includes the presidential candidates that hope to hoodwink the voting public. Eack party blames the other for being obstructionist; if they can't work together for AMERICAN CITIZENS, send thheir sorry asses packing back to the mediocrity they came from. Hell with 'em. If you're in a room with 10 people, 7 disapprove of Bush, 8 disapprove on Congress, and 3 support the Iraq war. Pretty stout numbers.
99% of the liars in Congress wouldn't qualify for town clock winder and couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel.
Citizens need to turn out every one of them, send 'em home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]

+541

1 for every scumbag representative, senator, mexico pandering president, and the black robed communists on the supreme court (it isn't +545 because Roberts, Alito, Scalia, and Thomas are the only people in DC with any lick of sense)
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The US Attorney for NJ Christopher Christie says being in the US illegally is not a crime. Johnny scumbag Sutton imprisons 2 US border agents. Illegal Aliens are marching TODAY in NYC calling for an end to raids and such. All 3 imbecile candidates voted for the amnesty scam they tried to shove down our throats along with many other traitors who swore an oath to this country, not Mexico. McCain said he got religion from the public outcry. And Bush wants to send $1.4 billion to the Mexican military. SAID WHAT??
There's a lot more of this traitorous shit going on. Idiot voters keep sending the scum back to Congress, repeating the same mistakes over and over, investing in the futile belief that there is actually a difference in the two parties. Just how stupid is that?
Freaking Gordon Brown calling on the US to basically repeal the Declaration of Independence and issue a Declaration of Interdependence to accept global governance.

Then there's these assholes from the other countries calling on the US to open it's borders to immigrants. They want us to give away the whole damn country; why don't they fix their own shitholes first. Hell, considering foreign aid given out for such worthy causes as sending rubbers to Africa, fed.gov IS giving the country away, and you're paying for it. You ever hear talk of increasing efficiency? Talk only.

There's lots of Congressmen I'd like to see serve terms. It would be a term decided upon by a jury, and not the one they hope for. That includes the presidential candidates that hope to hoodwink the voting public. Eack party blames the other for being obstructionist; if they can't work together for AMERICAN CITIZENS, send thheir sorry asses packing back to the mediocrity they came from. Hell with 'em. If you're in a room with 10 people, 7 disapprove of Bush, 8 disapprove on Congress, and 3 support the Iraq war. Pretty stout numbers.
99% of the liars in Congress wouldn't qualify for town clock winder and couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Well said; but the bastards buy re-election by giving away taxpayer dollars for social programs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The most delicious irony contained within this story is the fact that US congressmen were ignored by a CEO of a powerful, international media company.

Tells you who's buttering who's bread.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well; those traitorous bastards did swear an oath upon taking office.

Tar .....   Feather... run out of town on a rail. Worked in the past.... will work now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
What do they think about Jeremiah Wright?
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#24]
You gotta love the spin. "Anti-immigration". I have never heard Dobbs say anything that was "anti-immigration". Now I have heard him say plenty about illegal immigration. Why don't the two tools that wrote the letter to CNN address that problem.

And we already have a "compassionate" immigration policy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Oh wait....

That's Caucasian Cockus
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
guys, the folks in congress want the illegals legal, so they can keep the social security scam going long enough for them to get out of office....

TXL
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

YES, AND PEOPLE ACTUALLY VOTE FOR THEM!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are we talking US hispanic congressmen?
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, we are
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Kinda like a southern state president calling those that oppose his amnesty bill hate mongers and racists.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, we are
see what happens when they get elected to offices of authority? They pick a side.......... a side similar to themselves, but thats not racist, its only racist when the mean white man wants to pick a side similar to his.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]
The really sucky thing is those congressmen love to equate legal and illegal together as though there is no difference, they (and the pro-illegal alien groups) have been saying it for so long now, some people don't really see a difference anymore. Maybe Lou Dobbs should demand that those congressmen be removed from office for defending the illegal infiltration of our country ???
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
bp3.blogger.com/_qR-bmFv9g8c/RtWzr22R_BI/AAAAAAAAAKM/YtuKk0pgDok/s400/wfFw18NTMp24dSvcC3PdAHjVfXJd.jpg
which reminds me...I've seen a lotta love for that guy on this site, and NEVER has Illegal immigration been worse than "under his watch"
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Oldy but a goodie.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, too bad Lou Dobbs told the truth and offended the poor Hispanics..........tough shit
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck them.  Fucking traitors.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#38]
La Raza: queso-eating Klansmen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Close........they are willing to disband the freedom of the press of those that DISAGREE with them

But, the other part......yeah, they represent the illegal aliens without fear of ostracization.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Lou Dobbs is a hero and a patriot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"This free speech shit MUST BE STOPPED.  HOW DARE him state his opinion!!!"

It's not your fathers Oldsmobile free speech
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
La Raza is a grassroots organization?  I wonder what flowery term they use to describe the KKK?

Heh
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#44]
The (bowel-like)movement continues

The Hispanic Institute Proposes CNN Boycott;

Cites Lou Dobbs’ Anti-Immigration Crusade

http://www.laprensa-sandiego.org/current/Boycott.060608.htm

The Hispanic Institute today announced that it will mount a Latino boycott of CNN to protest the cable news network’s ongoing distortion of facts surrounding U.S. immigration issues, especially in commentaries and reports on “Lou Dobbs Tonight.”

The nonprofit organization said the proposed boycott will begin today June 3, 2008 and will seek to stop Hispanic viewership of all CNN outlets, including the Spanish language service. There are now 12.14 million Hispanic television households in the U.S., according to Doug Darfield, Sr. Vice President of multicultural measurement for The Nielsen Company.

“We’re taking this step after years of CNN management’s failure to rein in Mr. Dobbs’s irresponsible assertions about immigrants and their impact on our country and its institutions,” Gus West, THI board chair, said in making the announcement. He added that THI will work with other national Hispanic organizations to broaden support for the proposed boycott.

West noted that THI called for censure of Dobbs two years ago, following three years of inflammatory on-air rhetoric about undocumented immigrants. “The lack of any meaningful response from CNN’s management, or any abatement of Mr. Dobbs’ offensive tirades, makes it clear to us that the company supports his misleading and often inaccurate positions,” he said.

The large and growing U.S. Hispanic population represents a significant television market, West said, one that CNN can ill afford to ignore. “The State of the Media 2008,” published by The Project for Excellence in Journalism, noted that Latino purchasing power was $850 billion in 2007, and, according to Nielsen Monitor-Plus, total TV advertising dollars spent to reach Hispanics in 2006 was more than $3 billion.

“We will mobilize this important market segment to make our strong convictions heard,” West said, adding that THI is not alone in its criticism of Dobbs. In “Fear & Loathing in Prime Time: Immigration Myths and Cable News,” an extensive new study published May 21, the Washington-based Media Matters Action Network reported that cable news program hosts Dobbs, Bill O’Reilly of Fox News Channel and Glenn Beck of CNN-Headline News “serve up a steady diet of fear, anger and resentment on the topic of illegal immigration.”

However, Dobbs was singled out by the Media Matters study as “one of the most obsessed with the topic.” The study added that the “Lou Dobbs Tonight” program “might be more properly called ‘Lou Dobbs Crusades Against Illegal Immigration Tonight.’”

It is clear to THI, West said, that a boycott is “the appropriate vehicle to address CNN’s obvious disregard for the concerns of Latino viewers and all others who value factual, responsible news and information.”
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:50:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The US Attorney for NJ Christopher Christie says being in the US illegally is not a crime.

I will literally need to duct tape my head in order to prevent it from exploding, if I read that one more time.

ETA:

Damnit, I didn't have any duct tape and just read it again. Stick a fork in me, I am done.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:02:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
guys, the folks in congress want the illegals legal, so they can keep the social security scam going long enough for them to get out of office....

TXL

The folks in Congress can't count.  Illegals are a small net tax loss, and the ones coming now and having kids (as opposed to the older ones who used to come) are a huge net tax loss pretty much from the first year.  Illegals won't "save" social security; they make the problem worse.  And this is before you get into cost-shifting to assess the costs of the lack of insurance (of all sorts), tax evasion, and so forth.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The US Attorney for NJ Christopher Christie says being in the US illegally is not a crime.

I will literally need to duct tape my head in order to prevent it from exploding, if I read that one more time.

ETA:

Damnit, I didn't have any duct tape and just read it again. Stick a fork in me, I am done.

Welcome to George W. Bush's America.  Where have you been for the last seven and a half years?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's only whites that aren't allowed to think or act or vote in their own interest. All other ethnic groups proudly identify themselves as a racial group first and a US citizen last.

Lou is catching heat because he's making a difference. Write a polite and civil email to CNN showing your support for Lou Dobbs and be sure to watch or record his daily program. As long as he gets good ratings, he's fairly untouchable.

Illegal immigration represents the greatest threat to our national sovereignty in half a century and Mexico is a far greater danger to our precious way of life than Iran will ever be.

Oh, and I will never vote for a politician that supports amnesty and that goes double for Juan McCain.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Fugg him!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Welcome to George W. Bush's America.  Where have you been for the last seven and a half years?

Trying desperately to not loose my mind amongst all the angles of attack this country is under.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top