BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 2:36:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
From the BATF's web site at:

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10[/url]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
View Quote

When I worked for the airlines, my luggage wasn't always covered for loss, so sometimes I'd ship a firearm to myself.

For more info on sending a firearm as checked luggage with an airline...here's an opinion page I wrote on it over a year ago:

[url]http://www.angelfire.com/az2/zr1/firearmtravel.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have traveled a lot to matches and have never had a problem with checking it into baggage. the airlines give firearms very special handling. from what I have heard nothing has changed since 9/11. I believe you have more of a chance of it "getting lost" in ups shipment than checked baggage
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
tatjana,

You have a valid point about the 1 day wait in California.  I wouldn't want to take the chance.  Instead of UPS though, I would use the Postal Service.

Rich
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is that I've got a transfer of flights in California and a 1 day wait between them.
View Quote

California law does recognize a situation similar to this, though there's a ton of little items in there...

[url]http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12280-12281.html[/url]

(p) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
  (1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon.
  (2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
  (i) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
  (ii) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
  (3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
  (4) The assault weapon is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.
  (5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
View Quote

and...

Unless someone tells me that reclaiming my bag, walking to a check in counter with a bushmaster in San Francisco isn't going to cause me a problem and can give me some reason why they think so... I'm thinking UPS is the best answer.
View Quote

The years I worked in the San Francisco airport, there were maybe 2 airline workers, while nice people, that could even recognize a firearm from a hole in the wall.

However with the post-Sept. 11th mentality straight out of the movie [b]1941[/b], when you try to fly out, it's not impossible for some Mall-Ninja to take a liking to you.

Shipping is not a bad idea at all especially with people being questioned about the the books they read, etc.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you should think about taking the train.
I hate living in the PRK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top