Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 2:27:58 PM EDT
Not having any money to buy new firearms or ammo with.  Ok maybe it's not the worst but it sure is a bummer.  The worst thing would be having to sell my firearms to pay the bills.  I .am praying that it doesn't not come down to that.

Thankfully I was able to stock up on firearms and ammo when I had a job, so now I'm just using the time to get really good with the toys that I have
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, being out of work sucks. I'm in construction, and I've been through it during a paticularly bad winter. Not haveing money is bad enough, but to me just not haveing anything to do for weeks is pretty bad as well.

Like you said, at least you stocked up before, and you've got some toys to keep you occupied in the meantime.

Hope things pan out for you soon.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear ya man.  I hope I never gotta sell anything in the safe to bay bills...or god forbid...sell the safe itself to pay bills!!!

I'm just treadin water right now myself.  Sucks being a contractor!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
SWIRE,

What do you do?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The best part is daytime TV, specifically "The Rockford Files"(if you're lucky).
It gives you a chance to explore where you live, and find all the good, cheap restaurants.
Unless you live someplace where there ARE no good restaurants.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
hehe...and I thought the worst thing about being unemployed was daytime TV. Especially talk shows. Ricky Lake still makes me want to yak in her shoes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
How about the uncertainity of the future??  When you lose a job,you lose a sense of security, even if it is false.  Guns are material objects that can be replaced.  Take care of your family and everything else will take care of itself.  Rant off.

SRM
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Boy do I know about this crap. I am so up side down on my bills its not even funny. However I am desperately trying not to sell any of my guns. Matter of fact I am lookin to buy into the 1911 LEGP. If I am going to be homeless, at least I will be a well armed homeless guy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guns are material objects that can be replaced.  

SRM
View Quote

That may have been true about 15 years ago, but it is not now. Laws have changed making it impossible for people to replace certain guns.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boy do I know about this crap. I am so up side down on my bills its not even funny.
View Quote

Man you don't know the half of it. I have been threatened with garnishment of my food stamp allotments.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
When you start shoplifting the Pic 'N Save and .99 Cent stores, then you know you've hit rock bottom!
Until then, keep them damned guns in the safe boy. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Yesterday marks the fifth week since I got laid off.

I've gotten alot of stuff done around the house, but this is gettin' really old really quick.

For me the worst part is the holiday season creeping up.  That XR70 I wanted to get my son is gonna have to wait.  Fortunately I never give hints about what I plan to give ahead of time.

Second thing I don't look forward to is talking about my employment situation with visiting family.  I don't need their f'ing pity, especially when "keeping up with the Jones'" is their number one priority.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SWIRE,

What do you do?
View Quote

I'm a web developer.  Although right now I'm starting to look at anything that pays at least $15 an hour.

The first month was hard.  But since then I've relaxed and started taking advantage of my free time. I've visited all my family members in several different states.  I'm also planning on making a move from MI to KY.  Class 3 here I come, as soon as I get a job and get all my bills caught up.

As for "the uncertainity of the future?", it doesn't concern me.  First of all, there is nothing I can do about it, so worrying won't help me.  I'll get by one way or another.  Even if I have to sell my guns and work at McDonalds until a position opens up, so be it.  Life has thrown so much crap at me, that my current situation doesn't even cause me to loose sleep anymore.  All the recruiters are saying that things should pick up after the first of the year.

If anyone is interested in seeing my work or some really cool Christmas gifts that you can buy online, check out the latest website that I did for a customer.  It has sheepskin rugs and slippers, plus some very awesome wood carvings of US Military planes and jets.  The site is [url]http://www.exquisite-designs.net[/url]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I really agree.  The worse part seems to be the waiting and the "keep busy" attitude.  Course stuff around the house gets done and there's always THIS website.  But it sure ain't close to the real thing.  Meaning, work, money, the good feeling of accomplishment.  Course maybe I'm just a pseudo-workaholic.  The hardest part in my book has to be the sleeplessness.  For 3 weeks now I've had problems getting any decent zzz's.  Go to bed at 12:00 and just inadvertantly wake up at 4 AM.  Thankfully, that's all done with.  Work starts THIS monday and I have to say I can't be happier.  

Best of luck to all of you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The hardest part in my book has to be the sleeplessness.  For 3 weeks now I've had problems getting any decent zzz's.  Go to bed at 12:00 and just inadvertantly wake up at 4 AM.
View Quote

I know that feeling.  The first three weeks I was staying up to 3am and then getting up around 8am because I was too on edge to sleep.  Now I wish the feeling would come back, as I was getting a lot done during that time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey SWIRE, check your mail.

From an ex-Michigander to a soon to be ex-Michigander, "Y'all come on down now and sit a spell"  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#17]
For me it was having to send my wife and kids to the Free Clinic so the kids could get their shots.  Their pediatrician wanted $100 for the visit plus the cost of their shots. [:(!]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a web developer.  Although right now I'm starting to look at anything that pays at least $15 an hour
View Quote

Swire,
I dont know what part of Michigan you are in, but I know alot of peaple there.
Dart Container in Mason is usually hiring and starts at about $11.00 and hour. The Meir warehouses are good union jobs. The Ingham County Sheriff's office is always looking for corrections Deputies, and they pay about $20.00 an hour.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Unemployment has greatly increased my ar15.com post count, as well as given me free time to rebute the anti-gunners via letters to the editor in my local newspaper. For that, I am thankful.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Life has thrown so much crap at me, that my current situation doesn't even cause me to loose sleep anymore.  
View Quote

Why would you "loose" sleep? OH THE HELL WITH IT I GIVE UP!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm happy to have a part-time job, with extra hours available. Blessed with Full medical and dental coverage too.

(A few years back I was out of work for 5 months :( It was hell. Ate up my savings, etc etc. Just finally paid off credit cards from that period.)

Suggest you check into working at a large hospital...many folks forget about HMOs and hospitals. There are non-health care support jobs there. Each hospital is like a small city.

Hope this helps someone.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]
The worst thing about being unemployed, is getting a great new job, and then listening to the wife cry because she has to move.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Having kidney stones 2 weeks after insurance ran out ($12,500 total)
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Being there and done that....I was single then.
Now it's a whole new situation, got a wife and kid to support....and mortgage to pay. If I can hold out through the rough time, then I will be OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top