Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 6:28:31 AM EDT
Just spent a week in the Hospital for what was supposed to be an Outpatient surgery.

Was having Kidney Stones removed,
and then the Doc sent me home with a tube (Stint) installed to help my bladder drain by way of my kidney.
This was causing major pains in my kidny as this is not the way it is supposed to work.
re: Bladder dains out , not into the kidney to drain out.

So my kidney developed an infection and I got very ill.
The pains became excrucaiting.
The doctor then removed the stint and the pain got worse, much worse.

The (brilliant)doctor then sent me home.
By myself.
I ended up taking a ride in an Ambulance from home about an hour later.
I have never had so much pain.
And then spent the next 5 days in hell.

I finally got to feeling better and Doc(?) sent me home again. This time with a s*load of prescriptions that are making me sick to my stomach, choking me and making me puke and heave.
To which the doc says, "oh, just stop taking the pills.
And make an appointment in a few weeks."

I really think that I should make an appt. with a Lawyer first.

I have stopped taking the pills but feel like my Esophagus is burning and like I have a lump in my throat, still choking me.

Not asking for advice, just sharing my dismay.
This is the first time that I have logged on
since last week.

May you all never have Kidney Stones.

Del(glad to be back)marksman

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Definately get another doctor to check you out. If he says what I think he will (that the 1st Dr. is a moron) then get a lawyer. Hope ya feel better, kidney stones HURT.

Don Out
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in my 30s and have had 42 kidney stones to date.  I don't go to the hospital anymore and can pass them without the pain meds.  It sucks but I've had 4 doctors over the years try and solve this riddle with no gain.  I hope you don't have anymore.  Mine have all been between 1mm - 9mm in size.  Not huge but very painful as they look like mini meteorites.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear you're not doing well right now.  Hope it all works out.  

[sarcasm mode ON]
Yes, definitely consult an attorney.  There is no problem too large or too small that our friends the lawyers can't help you resolve.
[sarcasm mode OFF]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SNIP
[sarcasm mode ON]
Yes, definitely consult an attorney.  There is no problem too large or too small that our friends the lawyers can't help you resolve.
[sarcasm mode OFF]
View Quote

If the 1st doctor screwed him up with improper care/meds, he SHOULD be held accountable.

Don Out

P.S. Lawyers rarely, but sometimes, have uses other than performing the function of a moving target...
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Delmarksman -

If you remember, I had a similar problem with kidney stones and a dumbass doc at Christiana a few months ago.  I've already contacted a lawyer about my case.  Drop me an email if you want - I know my lawyer is one of the best in Delaware for this sort of thing, and I'm also wondering if we have the same dipshit of a urologist.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, dude. Go back to work and stop slacking.[:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn, dude. Go back to work and stop slacking.[:)]
View Quote

OK Rich, from you, I had that coming.[:)]

Shaggy, My Dr. is down in Dover.
But I think I'd like to talk with your Lawyer.
BTW I was down at Kent General. Christiana is a much nicer Hosp.

Thanks all, I am feeling better.
But I do definitely feel that the DR. dropped the ball.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Delmarksman-  Sorry to hear it.  Get well soon!

Ar_Lvr- [b]9mm meteorites[/b][shock]  Black Talons can't touch that!!  I won't be able to touch myself for the rest of the day!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#9]
A few years back I saw a show about how they were treating kidney stones with ultrasound.  They stick you in a tub of water and blast soundwaves into your gut and it breaks up the stones into powder.  Might be easier than trying to pass a grapefruit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A few years back I saw a show about how they were treating kidney stones with ultrasound.  They stick you in a tub of water and blast soundwaves into your gut and it breaks up the stones into powder.  Might be easier than trying to pass a grapefruit.
View Quote

That's what was done to mine, and the pain was lessened to that of passing ground glass...
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
That's what was done to mine, and the pain was lessened to that of passing ground glass...
View Quote

Ouch, ouch, ouch, OUCH!  My vision went dark, and I got tunnel-vision after reading that.

A life-long friend of mine, who was in the UDT during Korea, has a doctor that claims he holds the world record for number of kidney stones.  I don't know if that is true or not, but about 15 years ago, an Israeli doctor moved to town for three years, mainly to study him.  I've been in church with him several times when has had to leave.  Imagine that, everyone is sitting quietly listening to the preacher when suddenly he walks out.  A few minutes later, you hear him in the bathroom screaming and cussing while everyone tries to pretend they don't notice.  Except for the guy in pain, it's comical to watch so many people try to pretend they don't hear something.  Since then, he has lost most control over his muscle functions.  The doctors blame it on over 50 years of taking strong pain killers.  He's one of the best guys I've ever known, and he can't even swallow or speak now.z
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Ouch!

Del, hope you feel better.

If you start tasting ammonia, call an ambulance.

Get a 2nd opinion!  

Ow, my urethra hurts!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I did take perverse amusement in that (though it hurt like hell) I had to piss through a strainer for a week, just so the doc could look at the crystals. I almost yelled from pain each time, and simultaneously cracked up about the strainer. "Add some oil, sir?"

BTW, the catheter HURT, and afterward it felt like you had to take a burning wizz for a couple of days after.

Like the Israelis say, "Never Again!"
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If someone can pass a 9mm stone (usually anything larger than 5cm) then you are certainly beyond the norm. The ureters will distend but the problem for a large percentage of patients lies at the UVJ (Ureter-Vesicle Juncture) where the stone will lodge and become problematic after traveling and stretching the ureter all the way down from the kidney (due to size they may lodge anywhere in the ureter). Retrograde procedures are usually the solution if the stones don't pass on their own and cannot be dissolved thru meds. Ultrasound is limited due in part to location of the stone in proximity to bone. Laser is the way things are done mostly now in conjunction with a "basket". Not a Dr but provide them with "TV" while they insert the scope/wire.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If someone can pass a 9mm stone
View Quote

There's one advantage of 9mm over 45 ACP [;]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Get well soon!  I've heard stories of how painful those stones can be.  It's not something I'd want to be conscience for.

A second opinion is a good idea.  And have someone check out the esophagus out.

I'll save ya a cyber beer for when you get back into the action.  

[beer] <--- oops, just drank yours.  I'll get ya another one later.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Appreciate the good thoughts fellas.
My stone was 8mm and jagged as shattered glass.
As Kihn stated, the location of the stone determines the form of "mis"-treatment by the Dr.

Mine was too low to use the Ultrasound.
So it required removal by force.
Orthoscopy and Laser.
That procedure went ok it was the Aftermath that floored me.

I looked up the pills. "Toradol".
It's known to cause bleading ulcers,and swelling of the tongue, which is what I experienced. And a few other nasty side effects.

From now on I think a second oppinion will be in order. As it was I was in so much pain from the stone that I just wanted it out.

A feeling that can be best described as someone hitting you in the groin with a Baseball bat.
But doing so repeatedly and not stopping.
At least it's over for now.

The real worst part was rooming with a Car Salesman for a week. He would not STFU. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Let me see
I have had two stones and thought I was dying.
I teach this stuff too.
We have certain urologists we refer too and others I only send the patients I hate to.
You are unhappy with your Dr and I would not go back to him.Ask other folks which urologist CARED for them.
Most urologists are technicians.
No malpracticehere,just less concern than the patient wanted and deserved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top