Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/24/2008 6:05:06 AM EDT
I don't like the idea of open carry for two reasons:

1. Guns frighten and excite the average non-gun person.

Most people do not understand the gun laws and have a fear of guns.

Having a gun on your hip in full view would be a pain in the ass as you found yourself explaining to 100 security guards per day that it's legal.

The reason is that it's a pretty uncommon practice.  

Heck, it might be legal to do here in philly, maybe, but you'd get a swat team type police response if you tried it.

Plus you might even get a wild eyed hero type wrestling you to the ground.

It would be more trouble than it's worth.

2. You're giving away the element of surprize.

If the bad guy sees that you are armed, he'll know that he has to blast you right in the head before he can take your wallet or car or whatever.

If you had a very expensive gun on your hip, a bad guy might even dry gulch you just to get the gun.

It's better to keep the gun hidden and produce it "on demand".

The exception to the above would be if you are hunting or in an area where people commonly go armed, like alaska bear country.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
could not agree more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your view point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Just because something's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. I see people OC here occasionally, and nobody seems to pay them any attention. If they want to OC, more power to 'em.

I prefer to blend in as the "gray man" myself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The walmart DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE!!! thread is a perfect example of this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Now that I think of it, I probably would not even tell a policeman I was CCW during a traffic stop.

Picture the low grade townie cop barney fife type being told that you are armed.

Heck, I had a state trooper unholster his sidearm after I bumped a woman in traffic.  Apparently my crewcut and polo shirt put him on red alert.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I see you have read the Walmart thread.
DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE!!

Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Not in every circumstance. I do like the idea of easing the practice back into society though. I have open carried a time or two. Look your best when you do it though or it will come back to bite gun owners as a whole just like the guy in the suit, speeding and cutting off other drivers, sporting a big Jesus Loves You bumper sticker on the way to church.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
On the flip side, I think if people were used to being around a gun here and there and maybe learning a thing or two about them, much of that "fear" would go away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Like anything good in the world, OC has its time and place.  Driving in the car would be a good example as an OC gun would be easier to access.

I would not slam OC entirely, but suggest that people exercise good judgment with it.

- BG
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, that's the problem with OC today.

It rests on the shoulders of an individual if he wants to weigh the consequences and strap that holster on.

However, I have absolutely nothing against people that would OC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#12]
My decidedly untrained opinion is that the OP makes alot of sense for reason #2 alone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Have any documented cases of the above ever happening?
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Like anything good in the world, OC has its time and place.  Driving in the car would be a good example as an OC gun would be easier to access.

I would not slam OC entirely, but suggest that people exercise good judgment with it.

- BG

+1  The Mall? Bad. Walking in the park? Maybe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
In an urban or even dense suburban environment it can be problematic but that is not the case in most rural settings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no interest in open carrying, as I don't like to draw attention to myself.

The open carry crowd may be grandstanding attention whores to some degree, but they are also fighting for our rights and I support that aspect.  

I do think that the general public is best left not knowing who is carrying.  It worries them too much to consider that they may need to provide for their own security.  It rips down their illusion of being safe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#17]
OC is 1000 times better than NO CARRY in places where CCW is prohibited, but OC is legal.  Restaurants in Virginia is one example.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not in every circumstance. I do like the idea of easing the practice back into society though. I have open carried a time or two. Look your best when you do it though or it will come back to bite gun owners as a whole just like the guy in the suit, speeding and cutting off other drivers, sporting a big Jesus Loves You bumper sticker on the way to church.

yep, smart. once everyone see its, it'll be more accepted.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just because something's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

QFT
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Most people do not understand the gun laws and have a fear of guns.

Having a gun on your hip in full view would be a pain in the ass as you found yourself explaining to 100 security guards per day that it's legal.

The reason is that it's a pretty uncommon practice.  

Heck, it might be legal to do here in philly, maybe, but you'd get a swat team type police response if you tried it.

Plus you might even get a wild eyed hero type wrestling you to the ground.

It would be more trouble than it's worth.

2. You're giving away the element of surprize.

If the bad guy sees that you are armed, he'll know that he has to blast you right in the head before he can take your wallet or car or whatever.

If you had a very expensive gun on your hip, a bad guy might even dry gulch you just to get the gun.

It's better to keep the gun hidden and produce it "on demand".

The exception to the above would be if you are hunting or in an area where people commonly go armed, like alaska bear country.

I agree with most of your post except the giving away being armed to a bad guy.  Almost all and I mean almost all of you BGs are retards and not trained super criminals.  If I am walking around with my XD45 and an extra mag on my hip I am confident that would be BGs will avoid me like they do legit jobs.  Open carrying does require situational awareness because you dont want anyone behind you removing it, but that is where a good holster come to play.  But all in all most people will avoid you, which is fine by me.

Edit to add: My one and only reason for not OC is State Law forbids it, otherwise I would.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#21]
If you don't use your rights you'll loose them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#22]
i think the OPS point about irrational people freaking out at the site of a gun is why OC is bad. But then again i live in a urban enviorment. I could see in the country, where people are more confortable with firearms, it not being such a huge issue.

Try to open carry in downtown around here and you will be introduced to all the fine police officers in my city. Conceal carry it avoids any undo BS.

but yes OC is better than no carry..
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#23]
It scares the sheeple because they're not used to it. Fifty years ago two men walking down the street holding hands would have caused a mass panic. In today's world it's OK to be gay because people are used to it (even if they don't condone it). The libatards have been using the "shove it down your throat till you get used to it" technique for years and it's worked out for them. I don't see why we can't do the same thing.

That being said, I never open carry because of reason #2. So no, I don't feel strongly enough about this to put my money where my mouth is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It scares the sheeple because they're not used to it. Fifty years ago two men walking down the street holding hands would have caused a mass panic. In today's world it's OK to be gay because people are used to it (even if they don't condone it). The libatards have been using the "shove it down your throat till you get used to it" technique for years and it's worked out for them. I don't see why we can't do the same thing.

That being said, I never open carry because of reason #2. So no, I don't feel strongly enough about this to put my money where my mouth is.

What about two men holding hands and opening carrying, what would that do to a community?
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think I'd even rate a second glance if I open carried here. Might try it just to see, but it's pretty much a non-issue here anyway.

I've seen off-duty LE open carry in Wichita and Topeka. W/o an identifying uniform, is that any different? Even if a badge is on the belt for quick reference, it's not particularly noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I open carry pretty regularly.

I have yet to have a bad experience because of it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree.  There's too many whackjobs who will go nuts if they see you carrying.  There's also the matter of ignorant people mistaking you for a police officer.  Then there's also the risk of a police officer giving you a hard time about it.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
There are environments where open carry is appropriate… Wal-Mart is not that environment.

Think of it like swimsuits. It’s probably perfectly legal for a guy to walk around in one of those way too small “speedo” things. And if you do it on the beach you aren’t going to get hassled. But if you try to walk through the mall dressed like that you are probably going to be told to leave.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#30]
If OC were legal in FL I would do it.

Stupid pants wetters should not set societies priorities and normal sane people should not give in to this kind of retarded behavior, it only encourages MORE of the same. Panty twisters who call cops on people for simply legally carrying a gun should be informed of the law by 911 or police. If they press the issue then THEY should be given a ticket akin to a false 911 call.

A holstered gun not being waved around is FINE.

And as for #2 I have yet to EVER hear about a guy getting his gun stolen with OC. My thoughts are that most bad guys would avoid someone with the ability to fight back. Concealed carry make you look like prey not a sheep dog. And if you DID OC then there are retention holsters and such. Some see it is CC gets the element of surprise. But I see OC as a deterant.

Don't pacify panty twisters!! Who the fuck cares what they think.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I plan on doing it from time to time....but more often than not it will probably be concealed.  Just depends on the place I'm going really.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I open carry when I feel like it, because I can.

I don't do it for a political statement.

I don't do it to draw attention.

I don't do it for education.

I do it because it is a right afforded to me.

It has benefits and drawbacks. Sure, it might make you a target, but it may also deter you from being a target of a crime as well.

I OC in an extremely liberal area in Virginia and have yet to have a real issue. I have been asked a few times if I am a cop and respond no and go about my business. If someone else has an issue with it, that isn't my problem it is theirs.

The police around here know the laws, FINALLY, and know it is legal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It starts to become more important when the panty twisters call the police, and you end up being detained at gunpoint by several LEO's.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It starts to become more important when the panty twisters call the police, and you end up being detained at gunpoint by several LEO's.  

Have you ever been detained?

Personally I carried for the first time the other day and it was OC at that. My circumstances are a little different though. Being 20, I'm not eligible for a LCTF (license to carry firearms) in Pa, so I must resort to OC.

I don't understand why people are not willing to educate the public. Why not just OC and if someone asks, take a minute or two to educate them that OC is perfectly legal?

Is your passion for guns not worth two minutes of your time?
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I open carry everywhere I go, no one seems to care around here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever been detained?

Personally I carried for the first time the other day and it was OC at that. My circumstances are a little different though. Being 20, I'm not eligible for a LCTF (license to carry firearms) in Pa, so I must resort to OC.

I don't understand why people are not willing to educate the public. Why not just OC and if someone asks, take a minute or two to educate them that OC is perfectly legal?

Is your passion for guns not worth two minutes of your time?

I haven't been detained, and it's because I don't do anything that would attract a police officer's attention.  I am a boring person, and it keeps me out of trouble.  Carrying isn't legal in my state anyways.  

The public's mind is largely closed on the firearms issue.  At least that is what I have found.  It's hard to educate people whose minds are already made up.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#37]
For all the people that are of the "OC people will get shot first" please read this thread.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Most people do not understand the gun laws and have a fear of guns. Listening to the dozens of Arfcommers who open-carry, most sheeple either are totally oblivious to the fact that you're carrying a gun or simply assume you're a police officer, especially if you have a nice haircut and dress decently.

Having a gun on your hip in full view would be a pain in the ass as you found yourself explaining to 100 security guards per day that it's legal. It's rarely an issue.

The reason is that it's a pretty uncommon practice.  So, if the problem is that not enough people do it on a regular basis, your solution is to... not do it at all. No offense, but that's fucking stupid.

Plus you might even get a wild eyed hero type wrestling you to the ground. I've never once heard of someone tackling another man for wearing a gun in a holster.

It would be more trouble than it's worth. Yes, immediate access to your weapon while perhaps having to explain open carry to the one or two people a week that are curious enough to ask about it is more trouble than it's worth.

2. You're giving away the element of surprize. I bet that's why police officers don't wear uniforms and hide their weapons. Oh, wait. Also, it's spelled surprise.

If the bad guy sees that you are armed, he'll know that he has to blast you right in the head before he can take your wallet or car or whatever. Name an instance where this occurred. I've heard numerous first-person accounts where someone who was acting squirrelly or suspicious suddenly had to be somewhere else when they noticed their intended mark was armed. If they know you have a gun, nine times out of ten they're not going to fuck with you. Criminals don't want a fight, they want to take what they want and leave without any trouble. The possibility of getting shot for their effort is a major deterrent.

If you had a very expensive gun on your hip, a bad guy might even dry gulch you just to get the gun. Name a single instance where this has occurred. "Ooh, that guy over there with a gun strapped to his waist has very fine and expensive taste in guns! I think I'll mug him and take it! Oh fuck, I'm bleeding."

It's better to keep the gun hidden and produce it "on demand". It's faster to draw while open carrying than it is while carrying concealed. Also easier to get to in a seated position and you're less likely to drop your gun while using a public restroom.

The exception to the above would be if you are hunting or in an area where people commonly go armed, like alaska bear country. It's a pain in the ass having to take my pistol off my belt every time I go into town. Half the time I'm so used to it being there that I forget to take it off until I hit city limits, then I have to fumble to get it off in the car while keeping it out of sight. Then as soon as I get back, I have to screw with my belt to put it back on. Convenience and ease of use make open carry a logical choice.

Don't bitch about how people shouldn't excercise their rights because some panty-waisted twit can't bother to stay calm about legal activity.

If you got the right, USE IT.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I STILL WANT THE OPTION TO OPEN CARRY!

There I got that out.

I'd love FL to have open carry.

You know how fucking hot it gets down here? I'd like to just wear one shirt instead of two during the summer.

I see the OP's points but I still think open carry should be legal.

In FL I'd agree with a change in the law that would allow people to open carry if they also had a CCW permit. Just change the permit to both open&CCW. And I also wouldn't have a problem if the law said you must show your permit at any time if a LEO requests it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to open carry regularly when I lived in northern Nevada.  Most people there didn't even give me a second look.

I do not open carry in Denver but have in other parts of Colorado.  The attitude is a little different here.

As with anything there is a time and place for open carry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Not legal here.  North Dakota is a VERY CCW-friendly state, but open carry is verboten.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I disagree. Anyone with a CCW should also be allowed to open carry, no questions asked. Whether is is a good idea, depends upon your location and situation. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I will open carry sometimes, but only when I am in rural areas.

Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I used to open carry regularly when I lived in northern Nevada.  Most people there didn't even give me a second look.

I do not open carry in Denver but have in other parts of Colorado.  The attitude is a little different here.

As with anything there is a time and place for open carry.
I have open-carried in Denver, back before CC laws were changed. Properly dressed and not strutting around like I wanted everyone to see no one even looked twice at me.

Throw on your grungiest BDU's and walk around with a big ol' chip on your shoulder and things might not go so smooth
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I wish Texas had open carry. If only to not oil my CCW gun down every day due to sweat.

I can't believe how many people on a gun board are against open carry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I wish Texas had open carry. If only to not oil my CCW gun down every day due to sweat.

I can't believe how many people on a gun board are against open carry.

I'm not against it.  I just don't think it's always very prudent given the reaction of the ignorant public.  If I had my way about it, you'd be able to buy a brand-new M16A4 at Wal-Mart, put it on a sling and carry it all day.  Or a Glock 18.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I opened carried in a Kroger here in TN (and had on many occasions before, there and elsewhere) when a cop tapped me on the shoulder cuz he got a call from a patron of the store...

He ran my CCW/License info...clean.
He persuaded me to go put my ruger in the car since TN was not an open carry State...

Fact is TN is OC LEGAL

Walked me out to my car and proceded to, in front of my wife and kids and shoppers tell me I didn't know the law, he did, blah blah, "We can make this difficult", "You are giving me an attitude"...Whatever...I didn't want to get locked up (falsely) on a Saturday...

So anyways...It's just fucking amazaing that a "Training Officer" doesn't even know  the law and gets all hard when you call him on it.  He never admitted he was wrong and my dumb ass never filed a complaint or went down to the station.  

And no Kroger doesn't have signs posted and yes, maybe I am an attention whore, but thats my fucking right too
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I opened carried in a Kroger here in TN (and had on many occasions before, there and elsewhere) when a cop tapped me on the shoulder cuz he got a call from a patron of the store...

He ran my CCW/License info...clean.
He persuaded me to go put my ruger in the car since TN was not an open carry State...

Fact is TN is OC LEGAL

Walked me out to my car and proceded to, in front of my wife and kids and shoppers tell me I didn't know the law, he did, blah blah, "We can make this difficult", "You are giving me an attitude"...Whatever...I didn't want to get locked up (falsely) on a Saturday...

So anyways...It's just fucking amazaing that a "Training Officer" doesn't even know  the law and gets all hard when you call him on it.  He never admitted he was wrong and my dumb ass never filed a complaint or went down to the station.  

And no Kroger doesn't have signs posted and yes, maybe I am an attention whore, but thats my fucking right too

That's the biggest problem with open carry, IMO.  Ignorant masses and the police who serve them.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Not a single poster here from Arizona... where open carry is quite legal.  Even in cities it seems.

The DOWNSIDE is that most buisnesses wont let you in.  Which limits its usefulness.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#50]
You're entitled to your opinion. I mostly disagree.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top