Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2001 3:39:28 PM EDT
... is his finger on the trigger?
... is that a ACOG TA01NSN atop his M4?
... nice camo
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011115/imdf15112001145130a.jpg[/img]

fixed link
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
that must be one of those new red X scopes

hehe couldn't resist

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
how is the camo applied to the receiver and barrel in a way that it won't cook off during sustained fire?
View Quote

... looks like his mag has a desert camo sceme on it too.
... some more:
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011115/imdf15112001145558a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmaLite makes some comoed ARs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
In the 1st picture the finish appears to be burned off the last few inches of the barrel.  In the second picture...well, that soldier doesn't appear to be too happy where he is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In the 1st picture the finish appears to be burned off the last few inches of the barrel.  In the second picture...well, that soldier doesn't appear to be too happy where he is.
View Quote

That guy did NOT want his picture taken. [8D]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
In the second pic, that guys is Air Force, isn't he?  JSOC?  Providing security for the helo?  

I'll bet the real green berets on the ground are not wearing US equipment. I'll bet they blend in perfectly with the Afghans--beards, dark skin, the works.  No crew-cut blue-eyed Mom 'n Apple Pie types.  They could probably walk by the camera in a group of Afghans and you wouldn't even know they're SEALs or SAS or what have you.

What web gear is baby face wearing?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
perhaps its a teflon coat?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The second guy DOES look like Air Force  (Sgt. Stripes) He appears to have an Aim Point on what appears to be an M4.  The odd thing is that the chopper in the background is a CH 47, used only by the Army?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Most Likely these guys are JSOC. so they will be working together. Yes the second guy is AF(E-5). I'm trying to figure out the camo job on the weapons. Most SF guys that i know that are there are good ol' country boys that don't have tans.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
the air force sgt could be attached to a spec ops team as a combat air traffic controller...or not
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
If I were in the locale those guys are in, my finger'd be on the trigger, too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The odd thing is that the chopper in the background is a CH 47, used only by the Army?
View Quote

Don't the Marines use them?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, the USMC uses it, and unless I'm mistaken, so Does the Navy, although it is called by a different name. "Sea Knight," I Believe. Probably wrong, but what the hell....I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Could the camo'd M4 possibly be Bow-Flauged?

Regarding 'Specs' do you suppose that elite soldier is depending his LIFE on a Colt or Bushmaster? Can't be Colt, right? ...because we all know they're just plain garbage. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The odd thing is that the chopper in the background is a CH 47, used only by the Army?
View Quote

View Quote

Yup, Marines sure do. In my neck of the woods the Navy SDVT1 relies on the Marines for air support.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Would be nice to have some desert packs and web gear to go with those BDU's. Nothing like layin' in the sand trying to blend and have a big green ruck sticking its ass in the sky.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In the second pic, that guys is Air Force, isn't he?  JSOC?  Providing security for the helo?  

I'll bet the real green berets on the ground are not wearing US equipment. I'll bet they blend in perfectly with the Afghans--beards, dark skin, the works.  No crew-cut blue-eyed Mom 'n Apple Pie types.  They could probably walk by the camera in a group of Afghans and you wouldn't even know they're SEALs or SAS or what have you.

What web gear is baby face wearing?
View Quote

ALL of these guys are "REAL" Special Forces, even the Baby Face.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Cammo tape
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
The SSgt may be TAC-P, they work with and are perminantly statoioned with Army units. That may explain the chopper.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#23]
The coating is applied with a molecular bonding process so it can't 'burn' off , the end of the flash suppressor is just covered with carbon and burnt powder residue .
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#24]
thats a CH-47 chinook. ONLY the Army has them. the Marine Corps has the CH-46 sea knight. they look similar but that is all. the CH-46 is about half the size of a chinook. if you see the movie "rules of engagement" the TRAP team arrives in Chinooks painted to look like Marine sea-knights. the movie company probably got support from a guard unit. if youve ridden both as i have they cannot be mistaken for each other. the camo on the rifle is most likely a spray on job. that rifle is his for his duration of time with that unit. they sell a special line of KRYLON in military colors at the PX. that stuff has saved me many times when i've dinged up a HumVee. paints his rifle, paints a few of his mags, and he looks cool on the evening news. he painted his rifle, stop imagining it to be more high-speed than it is. "molecular coating" my ass...thats krylon baby!
those guys all have MOLLE pack components. there isnt enough of them to go around as it is so there surely isnt any to be had in desert. actually now that i look at it...some of those packs look like custom jobs from somewhere like London Bridge or Tactical Tailor. there used to be a retired guy in Jacksonville NC who could make anything you wanted.
airforce CCTs are often assigned to green beret units. they too have a FID mission and were probably in country very early to arrange the airborne drops. where ever the airborne goes you can bet CCTs were already there for a few days.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Two companies that are well known for applying camoflage to firearms are Camotech and Bear Coat.  A variety of standard domestic and military patterns are shown on their websites and Camotech has a few proprietary patterns.  Both do custom jobs too.

[url]www.camotech.com[/url]

[url]www.bearcoat.com[/url]

The first guy's pattern looks like 3-color desert.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
 Yep, the USMC uses it, and unless I'm mistaken, so Does the Navy, although it is called by a different name. "Sea Knight," I Believe. Probably wrong, but what the hell....I was in the Army.

The army is the ONLY ones who use the CH47.  The Marines and Navy use the CH$^, which is smaller than the 47, same company makes them both.   THe Air Force Soldier could be SEcurity Forces, TACP or a PJ.  It looks like hes guarding the Shit-Hook so he may be Security.

P.s.  I dont know hoe to import the test from otherpiost, so I tryed my best.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Finger on the trigger...
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011115/imdf15112001145130a.jpg[/img]
...damn straight.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I meant to say the MArines and Navy use CH46s not ch$^ thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#29]
No body armor?

What are the SpecOps SOP's re: body armor?

If I was where they are I'd want body armor....

I'd also want an M60 or M249.  Or at least one close by.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
That is the coolest M-4 I've seen, I want it!

I think it was painted by the solider or the armorer with common spray paints, it's no biggie to have metal painted even if it bakes off occasionally or doesn't adhere perfectly.

Also, a large version of this pic appeared in the local newspaper and his finger is outside the trigger guard, it appears that the seam of the gloves' index finger is straight and is indicative of this conclusion.

I'm editing this post after conducting a couple experiments. Notice the small stature of the solider in the photo, his hands are not very large. The gap between the mag well and the first joint of the trigger finger would be quite apparent if it were bent and on the trigger. There is a small gap, if any. His finger is straight and does extend to the magazine well beneath the mag release. This I've seen in my own test by asking a individual under 5' 6" with size small gloved hands to hold an AR in the same manner. This guy's ready to rock n' roll in AF-Stan!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The army is the ONLY ones who use the CH47.  The Marines and Navy use the CH$^, which is smaller than the 47, same company makes them both.   THe Air Force Soldier could be SEcurity Forces, TACP or a PJ.  It looks like hes guarding the Shit-Hook so he may be Security.

P.s.  I dont know hoe to import the test from otherpiost, so I tryed my best.
View Quote
What'd I tell ya? I knew I would be proven wrong. OOPS.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top