Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2001 2:04:28 PM EDT
Probably need some help here?

Check out desert camo M4:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011115/wl/1005852249attacks_afghanistan_us_military_xbl101.html

Desert cam w/ jungle Alice?:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20011115/wl/imdf15112001145558a.html

One-eyed monster w/ knee pads:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011115/wl/1005855829afghanistan_us_military_xbl104.html

Not sure how this will come out

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Probably need some help here?

Check out desert camo M4:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011115/wl/1005852249attacks_afghanistan_us_military_xbl101.html[/url]

Desert cam w/ jungle Alice?:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20011115/wl/imdf15112001145558a.html[/url]

One-eyed monster w/ knee pads:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011115/wl/1005855829afghanistan_us_military_xbl104.html[/url]

Not sure how this will come out

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you jhasz...

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hate to romanticize this too much.....
....BUT, what a fucking adventure.  Straight out of Kipling.

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011115/capt.1005855829afghanistan_us_military_xbl104.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hate to romanticize this too much.....
....BUT, what a fucking adventure.  Straight out of Kipling.

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011115/capt.1005855829afghanistan_us_military_xbl104.jpg[/img]
View Quote

"See mom, even left handed people can be Spec. Forces soldiers!"

[b] Amazing that "Major-Murphy" didn't notice the "left hand carry"![/b] [:P]

DaMan

[size=3][b]"SOUTHPAW POWER!!![/b][/size=3] [:D]
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
M4A1, Aimpoint M2, M203PI, possibly AN/PEQ-2, 30rnd mag.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
First guy is carrying an M4 with a Trijicon ACOG.  Fine combo.
We're coming for you Osama!

[marines] [peep][rocket]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about SOUTH PAW Power..could be "mirrored" pic. But, then again...so would the rest. Thats 2 Lefties I've seen in 2 days, sporting the M4...

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M4A1, Aimpoint M2, M203PI, possibly AN/PEQ-2, 30rnd mag.
View Quote

Correction: There is another pic of this soldier from looking at him from the side (you can see his USAF stripes) and in that pic you can see the back-up irons mounted ON his scope... so I think it is actually an ACOG TA01NSN not an Aimpoint. I thought it was an Aimpoint too at first.

[:D]

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011115/imdf15112001145558a.jpg[/img]
View Quote

So it is, the graphite color of the scope is exactly like on an Aimpoint M2.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
you wouldnt BELIEVE the toys that Air Force CCTs get. they have a budget thats out of this world!!! any CCTs on the board. speak out and be heard!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]
The Air Force soldier is guarding the helo, i think he is Secury Forces
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No way in hell SP's are over there right now. And even if they were there to guard the helo, they would not be out among the natives like that, but glued to the skin of the aircraft with scared shit looks on their face.
These guys are SOF.

And no, SP's are not SOF no matter what they claim. They stand at gates and do funny waves to people, thats all.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Saw a poster in a AF recruiters officer couple weeks back.

It showed the camoed guys in a 360.  It looks like the AF is now calling them, Special Tactics.

Any Active Duty AF operators out there, who can comment?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#17]
The AF guy is SF, or whatever the AF equivalent is. Look at all the antennas comming out of his "back pack". and all the special equipment IR stuff on the M4, and the do-dad on his left shoulder. Not to mention the headseat mike, ACOG, night vision connector, and knee pads(?).

He is also left handed, if the phot was reversed you would see the ejection port on the M-4.

Also the drop leg holster........

He's also to far from the copter to be "security".

I think with all the IR stuff he is probably designating targets for smart bombs........

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#18]
DoorKicker - LMAO at the stuck to the aircraft skin remark.  Good one.

To clear it up for the non-mil guys...

-[b]Special Forces[/b] = Army
-[b]Special Warfare[/b] = Navy (SEALs, SWCC, EOD)
-[b]Special Tactics[/b] = Air Force (PJ's, CCT, Combat Weather...this is [i]not[/i] Security Forces)

Everyone is part of SOCOM.  Everyone works together!  Except the Marines (they have what they call special operations capable units).

pak - You get my email re: SF check?  Haven;t heard from you bro'.

-SARguy

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No way in hell SP's are over there right now. And even if they were there to guard the helo, they would not be out among the natives like that, but glued to the skin of the aircraft with scared shit looks on their face.
These guys are SOF.

And no, SP's are not SOF no matter what they claim. They stand at gates and do funny waves to people, thats all.
View Quote

To bad you do not know the facts, Security Forces are places you would not believe doing crap you only dream of. And yep I do know as a SF troop myself. However OPSEC/COMSEC prevents me from correcting you any more............

PS.....never done the funny wave myself.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
DoorKicker - LMAO at the stuck to the aircraft skin remark.  Good one.

To clear it up for the non-mil guys...

-[b]Special Forces[/b] = Army
-[b]Special Warfare[/b] = Navy (SEALs, SWCC, EOD)
-[b]Special Tactics[/b] = Air Force (PJ's, CCT, Combat Weather...this is [i]not[/i] Security Forces)

Everyone is part of SOCOM.  Everyone works together!  Except the Marines (they have what they call special operations capable units).

pak - You get my email re: SF check?  Haven;t heard from you bro'.

-SARguy

View Quote

Yep, just like Army rangers are not special forces either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
No disrespect for anyone involved but the AF guy is the only one with his "gameface" on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

These guys are SOF.

View Quote

To bad you do not know the facts, Security Forces are places you would not believe doing crap you only dream of. And yep I do know as a SF troop myself. However OPSEC/COMSEC prevents me from correcting you any more............

PS.....never done the funny wave myself.
View Quote

OK HERO, I'll clarify for you.
I didn't say that AF didn't have SOF. I said that SP's were definetly not SOF. I also allowed that IF SP's were there right now, they would be glued to the aircraft or some gate somewhere, not out among the bad guys.

I hope you are not trying to infer that you, as an SP, are actually Special Operations. Guarding the gate dosen't count.
An SP may be able to act badd ass in front of the rest of the AF, but to real SOF, that shit don't FLY.

I have worked with AF SOF. The CTT and PJ's. Both highly trained(sometimes with more individual skills than Army SF when considering PJ's) and highly skilled indivuals. Though I don't see why the CTT didn't just join Army ABN Infantry. That's basically what they are.

I have also heard the BAR TALK of AF SP's and their going on like you about being SOF.

Stuff I could only dream of HUH?
I served on AD (7th SF) and am currently in 20th SF in Alabama. OOOPS did I disclose some OPSEC?

Forgot to add the breifings we got from the AF SOF Weather guys too. They could tell us when dew would be on the ground so we could avoid leaving tell tail tracks in early morning manuvers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Arock, a "gameface" from 1970...Son Tay.

[img]http://www.sontayraider.com/Slide8.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#24]
DoorKicker, I am an SP.  Bye no way, shape or form do I think I am SOF.  However, there are several SF units like the 820th SFS.  That are "elite" (i.e. Ranger, sf and jump qt) that do this sort of job.  I was in the army first (aviation) so I see your point.  But, the AF has alot of good combat SFS units  My unit is basicly an infantry unit for the Air Force.  Not elite, but enough to keep you busy.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#25]
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011115/wl/1005854111afghanistan_attacks_us_military_xbl103.html

Go to this link above:   the guy on the right has an AIMPOINT
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Doorkicker, nope SP's (I hate the SF tag) are in no way shape or form SOF, and I've never clamed to be in their league and never will. Don't know how you ended up thinking that I said I was a kool AF SOF guy???????????

However, I've got SP friends deployed right now that are not glued to any aircraft. If you really are SF (and I've got no reason to discount you) you know all about OPSEC/COMSEC and that I just can not say anything more. Don't understand why you went over the top about my OPSEC/COMSEC comment.

Never said they are performing in the SOF role. That's not our mission, never has been and never will be. However, I've worked with SP's that have the Ranger tab and jump wings among other specilazed schools. Their are some units in the AF that do specialized work and that is fact based data. FOr a bunch of undertraind and underequiped traffic wavers SP's have really stood their ground and made a excellent showing of themselves.

WOOOOOOO bar talk what a excellent source of hard intel, anybody who listens to drunk jerks is just another drunk. Besides when the SP career field is the largest in the AF you are bound to get lots of jerks.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011115/wl/1005854111afghanistan_attacks_us_military_xbl103.html[/url]

Go to this link above:   the guy on the right has an AIMPOINT
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone notice the "spare" M4, that's strapped to the port bulkhead.---------\/
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011115/capt.1005854111afghanistan_attacks_us_military_xbl103.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm former USAF SP(SAC) and I'd say he's probably a PJ or Combat Control Team member. His commo equipment is too good for an SF type.

Notice also the antennas on the Chinook. I'd bet it also has a refueling probe on the front. Not many of these around.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#31]
 Wow, most of the posts on this topic just serve to illustrate how little people know about the Air Force and the way it operates.
 Yes, it could be a Security Forces AIRMAN (not soldier), and as previously mentioned, the newly created 820th Security Forces Group is designed to operate in exactly this environment.  Go in, Survey, and Secure new locations prior to more widespread use by other Air Force and Military units.
 That being said, The SF'ers are certainly not the only Air Force types to be armed. Our Combat Controllers, PJ's, and even elite Commo troops (JCU, JCSE, Combat Comm), can be found everywhere the U.S. military is operating.
  Further more just because the guy is carrying lefty doesn't mean he's a lefty.  It is standard practice to orient your weapon in the direction of a likely threat, for instance walking in ranger formation on a road, if you are on the right side of the road, carry lefty...on left side of road, carry righty.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
MSG, you are correct sir...just because he is carrying lefty..does in no way mean he is a lefty...while patroling tacticalt you always want to orient your weapon tho the side you are oriented..(unless they have changed the way you patrol since i left, which i highly doubt) and what the f**k is wrong with people putting down other branches of service?? trhe seals are better...etc...the pjs arent sh*t...etc and nonsense like that...in my experience,,,the guys with the big mouths trying to prove how "bad" they were werent sh*t anyhow...and it just kills me when guys who have never strapped on a ruck, try to judge those who have...they are all good soldiers...the army could not do what they do without the airfoce...marines...or navy..we are all part of a team..im just proud of whatever people out there who want to serve their country..wether they be cook , mechanic, grunt, or pilot...out for now
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Guys, wait a min.
I am never going to put down any member of the service in any way other than good ol rassing.

My post here were to try and clear up some of the confusion about why AF guys are over there.

I respect anybody who has the balls to join the service...... except maybe the AF, Navy, and Marine Corp. JK ha ha.

Prior to leaving AD, I was cadre at the Basic Airborne course (Not Black Hat wore red beret)
We were always harder on the AF, Navy, and MC guys that came through and they expected us to be. I think they would have felt neglected if we didn't constantly harass them the way we did.

I was just over zealous about explaining the diff. between AF SOF and the SP's and let some rassing jump in too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#34]
the 820th SFS is the airforce show pony at moody AFB. lots of toys, little substance. i have worked with CCTs and combat weather guys and i gotta say they are high speed. some green-beanies call them "shake and bake" operators because they enter the pipeline right out of basic but ive never met an AF special tactics guy that wasnt prior army, prior Marine, or Prior SpecWar squid. i know most are original AF guys but they attend schools run by the other services. it just makes good sense. go to the Corps, get hard, get trained, get experience then go to the AF where you have a real budget and an acceptable quality of life. lots of units in the spec ops community claim to be "first on the ground" but the truth of the matter is it doesnt matter WHO is there first because there is always a CCT with them. even with Delta. the SPs have what they call "ravens" who travel with aircraft to provide security on the ground at forward locations. those guys are typically ok. not saying i'd want to "stack up" with them but they have a mission and they do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top