Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:26:28 PM EDT
I've got a couple of different varieties of corn, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peas planted. Also have some squash, zucchini, watermelons, cantaloupe, bell peppers, banana peppers, and am testing a few okra. Anybody else have theirs' in the ground already and what do you have?

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Could I set up a tree stand and trail camera near your food plot?

Bow season will be here in no time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Those watermelons, cantalopes, cucumbers, squash and zuchini are going to consume most of that garden if you aint careful.  Looks nice for now though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
lookin good, wish i had the place for a garden.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of our crops don't get planted for another couple weeks.

I'm doing some square foot gardening this year.  Made two frames this weekend and bought the compost/vermiculite/peat and will get them in this week.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Too early for most stuff but I do have Broccoli, cabbage, head lettuce and onion sets in. I'll be tilling this week and maybe get some potatoes in the ground. Last years we canned a little bit of everything.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have already had some deer tracks in both plots. The 100 acres behind me is vacant swamp, need to see if the owner will let me hunt it this year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It just stopped raining long enough to get mine tilled up , now it's going to rain more.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have already had some deer tracks in both plots. The 100 acres behind me is vacant swamp, need to see if the owner will let me hunt it this year.

My keen hunting eye spotted that property behind yours. It looks prime!
Good luck and hopefully the land owner will accomodate you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I tilled a few weeks ago and i have seeds started should start planting next week

Ive been busy lookin for morel mushrooms the last week or so..... It raining now and it will rain tomorrow then 3 days of 70+ degree days the shrooms will be popin like crazy
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It just stopped raining long enough to get mine tilled up , now it's going to rain more.....

Got this tiller awhile back from a guy at work, paid $300, only a couple of years old, he didn't use it anymore since he got a small tractor.

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, but it is still under the snow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I put six rows of sweet corn in the ground yesterday and I hope to have all of my beans, peas, tomatoes, peppers and other stuff planted by next weekend. If all goes well, I should be harvesting some of my stuff by or near the 4th of july.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Too early for most stuff but I do have Broccoli, cabbage, head lettuce and onion sets in. I'll be tilling this week and maybe get some potatoes in the ground. Last years we canned a little bit of everything.

I'm going to do some potatoes this fall along with mustard and turnip greens, maybe some cauliflower also. Planning on freezing a bunch of stuff here, at least if it matures anyway
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It's still early here. I've been working on the chicken coop. This is our first year. We are raising them from chicks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Too early. It might be 70s during the day now, but there might be a foot of snow next week. Going to till and put out some compost in the next few days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Several weeks ago, we loaded up at the big box store with potted plants, some seed, soil, and planters for our apartment patio.

The last big storm that came through owned our plants

Some are ok, some are KIA.  The wind was really, really bad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's still early here. I've been working on the chicken coop. This is our first year. We are raising them from chicks.

Been considering that also, my neighbor down the road has some that just roam around, been thinking about raising some for eggs and/or meat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have been working on my coop also. Havent had time to get the garden going yet. Should have the coop done this week, and then Ill start on the garden.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Since I live at the beach and don't even have so much as a blade of grass I can't have much of a garden. I planted some squash and some bell peppers. Not many but enough to make me smack my lips when I think about eating them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't plant quite yet.  Probably till the plot this week though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#21]
How much of a millionaire do you have to be to own that much land in Florida???
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Make sure that you don't plant the eggs too deep. I haven't had any luck raising chickens because of that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Too early. It might be 70s during the day now, but there might be a foot of snow next week. Going to till and put out some compost in the next few days.

It could still frost here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got this tiller awhile back from a guy at work, paid $300, only a couple of years old, he didn't use it anymore since he got a small tractor.

i28.tinypic.com/16hulux.jpg

Nice press ya' got there.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Busy expanding my garden, got some things planted though: lettuce, spinach, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, plus got a lot started indoors.

Link Posted: 4/21/2008 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is not as far along. All I have coming up are onions. It'll be a few months before I'm done planting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#27]
We're trying our first garden this year.  At first I wanted a 20x20, then I thought that was too large (oops) so I made a 16x12.  I really wish I had more room.  We're trying to learn how much space things need, etc.  Strawberries, corn, squash, cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, jalepenos and lettuce.  We planted some oaks in the buckets from our oak trees too.  We also have a compost pile, but I need to figure out how to get rid of the bugs it attracts.

Link Posted: 4/21/2008 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Busy expanding my garden, got some things planted though: lettuce, spinach, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, plus got a lot started indoors.

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/MarkNH/garden/garden4-21.jpg

Do you leave the plants in there or move them and replant when they get bigger?

I have just started a garden as well but was going to keep mine in 30 gallon plastic tubs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#29]
My gardin is up and going. Corn Tomatoes and Peppers. I can not believe anything grows in my durt even after adding some manure it basicly is Georgia Red clay
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you leave the plants in there or move them and replant when they get bigger?

I have just started a garden as well but was going to keep mine in 30 gallon plastic tubs.

You leave them in there, it's called square foot gardening, the idea is that with good quality loose soil (a mix of compost, peat moss and vermiculite undisturbed by people trampling over and around it), you can grow things a lot closer together than in a regular row based garden. That means less time spent weeding and watering.

For example a 1 foot square block could have 16 carrots, or 4 lettuce, or 1 cabbage, or a pepper plant, tomato etc.

You also stagger planting and never leave a square empty so that you have continual harvests throughout the growing season instead of finding yourself with 50lb of beans or 100lb of tomatoes all at one time.

It worked well on a small scale last year (2 4x4 boxes) so this year I am expanding to 9 boxes plus a 1ft wide border and I am seeing just how much of a years veggies I can grow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't get to start my garden for almost another month.  This is the one time of the year that I actually miss living in the eastern part of the state.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I wish, it is just a little 1500 sq. ft house built in 1994 on 1 acre. Bought it in November of last year, it was a repo, paid 93k. My neighbor just paid 95k for about the same setup, of course we are only a few miles from the Georgia state line and about 12 miles from the closest town in any direction, plus it is on a clay road. I like it though, nice and quiet and no homeowners' association to deal with
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Neat, I did something similar a few years ago on my porch when I lived in an apartment, had tomatoes and bell peppers, came pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
We're trying our first garden this year.  At first I wanted a 20x20, then I thought that was too large (oops) so I made a 16x12.  I really wish I had more room.  We're trying to learn how much space things need, etc.  Strawberries, corn, squash, cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, jalepenos and lettuce.  We planted some oaks in the buckets from our oak trees too.  We also have a compost pile, but I need to figure out how to get rid of the bugs it attracts.

tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_A.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_B.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_C.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_D.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_E.jpg

That is an awesome little setup you have there, very nice. Makes the yard look great and less to mow
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I am so jealous of you guys that can plant right into the ground.  I did that once here and every gopher and mole from miles around came and ate everything.  So I have raised planter beds and a fence around them to keep the deer from thinking my garden is their salad bar. But it is too early to plant here as it is still frosting.  My beds are nearing completion and I am ready to plant.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish, it is just a little 1500 sq. ft house built in 1994 on 1 acre. Bought it in November of last year, it was a repo, paid 93k. My neighbor just paid 95k for about the same setup, of course we are only a few miles from the Georgia state line and about 12 miles from the closest town in any direction, plus it is on a clay road. I like it though, nice and quiet and no homeowners' association to deal with

Around here and acre would get you over $1 million.  Even with the down market a 1500 sq ft house on 1/4 acre can easily go for $400k in the poorer suburbs.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_A.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_B.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_C.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_D.jpg
tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Garden/Garden_4_12_E.jpg

That's a fine looking gardner you have there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#38]
still a bit too early for mine to be put in, but the plants are started and growing well under a light in my basement. I've just started to bring them out in the day to harden them off. Everyone else's gardens are looking good though!
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's an updated picture: got the frames built yesterday at the back for tomatoes, beans, and cukes. Once I add some netting the frames will give the veggies 7' of height to grow in.

You can see how well the mix retains water: compare the squares I watered yesterday to the unwatered ones.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#40]
My first garden. In the pic we have tomato, squash and sweet potato planted, and beans also. Now we have cantaloupe also. Soon I hope to get some rattlesnake polebeans, corn, and maybe some watermelon.

Link Posted: 4/23/2008 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It just stopped raining long enough to get mine tilled up , now it's going to rain more.....[://

i28.tinypic.com/16hulux.jpg

I'm more impressed by your fabulous mid-century standing ashtray.

Oh...
Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Green peppers
Chitelpin peppers
Numex peppers
Jalapeños
lettuce
green onions
butternut squash
cucumbers
snow peas
carrots
radish
Strawberries
Tobacco
Flowers
A whole mess of herbs

Most of my stuff is about three inches tall and still indoors.
We're zone six here. Last frost is Mothers Day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#42]
What kind of support system are you guys using for tomatoes?  I built a simple frame and am going to hang rope off it for the vines to cling/tie.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a really small one.

Bell pepper
Jalapeno
Okra
Tomato
Banana Pepper
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#44]
How much time does it take to maintain a garden?

I have the land, but the time is sometimes at a premium.

Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Around here and acre would get you over $1 million.  Even with the down market a 1500 sq ft house on 1/4 acre can easily go for $400k in the poorer suburbs.  
I have about 5000 S.F., pool, and 1800 S.F. workshop on 5 acres, 30 minutes from Gainesville, and I have only $250k in the whole deal.  (I built everything myself though) I really like living in the country.

I was busy finishing my barn this year, but I am definitely doing about a 1/4 acre next year.  I already have the irrigation setup.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I've put in Cucumbers, two types of squash, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, banana peppers and habenaro peppers. We had really heavy rain this past weekend and it killed off about half of my squash plants, but everything else is doing good. I have seeds I'm starting for watermellon and two types of pumpkin also. We put in Blueberry bushes and raspberries this year too.
I plan on trying to can some vegetables for the first time this year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Dang I'm jealous!  I won't be able to start anything till Mem. Day weekend...always get some frosty nights here.  My asparugus is growing though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Same here, I put in a 15'X15' plot, mainly various lettuces and greens, tomatoes, beans and peas and some peppers.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
How much time does it take to maintain a garden?

I have the land, but the time is sometimes at a premium.

Take a look at square foot gardening.  I am the same way with my time... I want to have a diversion, but not spend every evening weeding and stuff.

SFG looks like it's about right for me with minimal weeding and upkeep.  Once it's going, I guess it takes maybe 10-15 minutes per evening?  This is my first year so I'm excited to give it a try.  Just got the frames painted and will finish the slats that mark off the 1' squares tonight, then I can put the Mel's Mix in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top