Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2008 4:24:17 PM EDT
I just cleaned up my dumpster of a garage today, only to find rats running out of it the moment I started getting all the crap out of it! Looks like there are quite a couple, from the amount of rat poop all over the place. Do you have any specific recommendations for some rat poison? Sorry, no cats.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
dont use poison...terrible stuff

use rat traps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#2]
use the bucket trick
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
BBs

or RAT Traps.

Avoid poisons unless absolutely necessary. Other animals eat the dead rats and then get sick or die.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Lead poison.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The best and surest way to solve a rodent infestation problem is to the deny them a food source.  Sanitation engineers in big cities have known this for years, but it is hard to get people to accept that the surest way to solve the problem is also the simplest way.

NO FOOD SOURCE = NO RATS.

Clean up the garage and deny their food source and they will soon be gone.

As other replies have noted, poisons and traps are generally a waste of time and money and also dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Havoc

They just have to eat it one time to get enough to kill them.  Does not kill them right away so they don't develope bait shyness but if they eat it once and don't come back for more it will kill them.  

Decon and other warfin baits require several feedings.  If they don't come back enough to get a lethal dose they can eventually build up resistance to the bait.

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
use the bucket trick

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]

12 gauge birdshot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The poisons they have down at the local Home Depot/Wal Mart really aren't that dangerous to kids or other animals.

Just follow the label directions.

However, for entertainment value the BB gun is the way to go.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The quite kind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been told (but don't have 1st hand experience) that bananas will kill rats.

Sounds like a "poison" that won't hurt anything else in the area.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Traps.  Me and my old man poisoned rats that were in our garage (we used to move the wood from outside, in small batches inside during the winter).  The rats ate the poison then died in the walls, in the wood, in the basement and stunk up the place something bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Bromalin.  It's not an anticoagulant, and if your dogs eat the rats it wont harm them. It causes cerebral edema and works fast. They stop eating once a lethal dose is ingested. I have never found a dead mouse out of the garage where the posion is, more than 10 feet from the dispenser.

Just make sure you use the child-proof,  pet-proof dispenser with the special key.
It can harm humans and animals if eaten directly, though not secondary.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BBs

i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/hommiedaklown/spiders/IMG_0802.jpg

or RAT Traps.

Avoid poisons unless absolutely necessary. Other animals eat the dead rats and then get sick or die.
Man that is nothing, you should see the damn rats here in Baltimore. YUCK That thing looks like a cute little housepet compared to what we have here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BBs

i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/hommiedaklown/spiders/IMG_0802.jpg

or RAT Traps.

Man that is nothing, you should see the damn rats here in Baltimore. YUCK That thing looks like a cute little housepet compared to what we have here.
There is more then one kind of rat. We have huge ones down here too they live near the ocean the Wharf rat. I have a news paper with a pic of me when I was 3 and they were talking about them and how big they are. I rember chasing them in the rocks on the beach. It was like chasing cats.  I will try to scan the article soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top