Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2008 1:57:05 PM EDT
Does anyone know if there are any cordless vacuums that use NiMH or Li-Ion batteries instead of the NiCd crap that lasts less than 1 year? It would cost me $24+ to convert my NiCd Dustbuster to NiMH and I might as well buy a new one or a corded unit. I need a small vacuum to clean my car periodically.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
NiMH batteries have even shorter life expectancy in infrequently-used devices than ordinary NiCads.

For the money and size, it's pretty hard to beat a Dustbuster equipped with a 12 volt lighter plug (although some vehicles require the ignition switch to be turned on to make the lighter socket live).

I have a DeWalt cordless vac that uses one of their conventional 18 volt cordless drill batteries. It's reasonably powerful and holds a charge for a decent amount of time, but it's really not any less unwieldy than using an AC powered shop vac.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
NiMH batteries have even shorter life expectancy in infrequently-used devices than ordinary NiCads.

For the money and size, it's pretty hard to beat a Dustbuster equipped with a 12 volt lighter plug (although some vehicles require the ignition switch to be turned on to make the lighter socket live).

I have a DeWalt cordless vac that uses one of their conventional 18 volt cordless drill batteries. It's reasonably powerful and holds a charge for a decent amount of time, but it's really not any less unwieldy than using an AC powered shop vac.

The 5 year old NiMH batteries that I have been using seem to work fine. I've never been able to get more than 1 year out of NiCd batteries.

Are you referring to the self-discharge rate? I've never heard or seen NiMH batteries "fail" in the same manner as NiCd batteries. My cordless phones all had issues with the NiCd packs so I changed them out to NiMH myself (soldered together the tabbed-AA cells). NiMH batteries do discharge within 2-4 months, so you just have to recharge them. I've had alkalines sit in a drawer for 3 years without discharging, so I use alkalines in clocks, smoke/CO detectors, etc...

The Dustbuster I have now uses 6 "C" sized cells (Or sub-C). I am thinking about wiring in a 6x AA holder to use 6 AA NiMH cells. Based on the figures, the NiMH AA cells will have more capacity than the NiCD C cells. The only issue would be the current demand of the motor and if the NiMH AA cells can handle it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top