Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 4:56:01 AM EDT
[size=4]Defeated Taliban 'choose death before surrender'[/size=4]
By David Rennie in Dash-e-Qal'eh (Filed: 13/11/2001)

VICTORIOUS Northern Alliance troops brandished [b]Pakistani identity cards[/b] from foreign Taliban soldiers killed in front-line posts yesterday as they celebrated their sweeping advances through the north.

General Hassadullah, a cardigan-clad commander watching the loading of his garishly painted convoys of lorries for the next push, said: "About 50 Taliban were killed here yesterday, and 20 killed themselves.

"About 1,000 ran away. Some are hiding in village houses in districts such as Dasht-e-Archi, and some retreated to Kunduz."

The general said he was "unclear" about how many prisoners were taken. "I did see a truck carrying about 10 prisoners," he said.

But there was no sign of any prisoners of war. Alliance troops insisted that foreign Taliban fighters, most of them Pakistani, Arabs or Chechens, had chosen to die rather than surrender, some in suicide pacts.

Dr Shahabaddin, a military doctor with a battalion of refugee soldiers from Mazar-i-Sharif, said: "When we went to one position, we saw four Taliban. They would not surrender.

"When we went to capture them, they exploded a bomb and killed themselves."

The Taliban were accused of treachery in defeat. Nizamuddin, a Mazari soldier, said: "The Taliban said, `We will surrender to you'. But when the mujahideen went near, they started shooting, so we shot them. Not one of them surrendered, so we shot them all."

Another soldier flourished a student identity card from a young Pakistani fighter, Abdul Jabbah. A photograph showed a painfully young face, with only the faintest traces of a moustache. The card, from the Government Degree College in Ghotki, was valid until December.

The soldiers eagerly showed off a letter of introduction stolen from one dead Taliban, bearing the logo of the Pakistani-based Jaishi Mohamed group, which an officer said was "part of the al-Qa'eda network".

Last night the lorries, with black victory flags fluttering from their cabs, roared across the Kokcha river towards the former front line at Chaghatai hill, which fell after bloody hand-to-hand fighting late on Sunday night.

There, the lorries were loaded with Taliban loot - everything from arms and ammunition to food, firewood and giant, blackened cooking pots.

Habibullah, a squint-eyed soldier, waved an Arabic sword and shouted: "I killed a Taliban, and took his sword."

Troops also seized at least one of the Japanese pick-ups favoured by the Taliban, still bearing export number plates from the United Arab Emirates.

- continued -
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The alliance troops vowed to fight from Kunduz to their home city of Mazar-i-Sharif, which itself fell to the alliance last Friday. Dr Shahabaddin rejected arguments that fighting should stop for Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, which begins this week.

[b]"The Holy Koran says Muslim people do not fight during Ramadan. But the terrorists are not Muslims."[/b]

The mujahideen explained that they would be excused from fasting during the day if they were fighting away from home.

According to Islamic law, Muslims should neither drink nor eat during daylight throughout Ramadan. But the Koran did lay down specific exceptions, Dr Shahabaddin explained.

"If we cannot eat during the night, we will break the fast. After the fighting is over, we will go home and fast for a month then."

He condemned Arab nations for calling on the United States to stop air strikes during the month. [b]"The Arabs just want to interfere with the alliance between America and the Afghan people. It is good for America to bomb sinful people such as terrorists."[/b]

The Kokcha river crossing also saw military convoys heading for the newly opened road to the city of Taloqan, which fell to the opposition on Sunday.

One lorry bore satellite telephones, a computer and radio sets. The driver explained that they were office equipment, needed to create a provisional government for the city.

The military convoys were followed by the first merchants, keen to buy basic commodities from the well-stocked bazaars of the Taliban.

The traders were apparently unconcerned by reports of continued fighting with Taliban stragglers on the road, and the dangers of the lethal minefields that line the route.

See article at: [url]
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/11/13/war313.xml[/url]

Eric The(WhereIsTheBodyOfThat'NewYorkTraitor'?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's death they want...

....I say we give it to them. Mullah Omar called the BBC World Service from Kandahar last night, saying the goal of the Taliban was the "extinction of America."

What more do we need? Wipe his DNA from the earth, along with that of everyone who ever gave him a dime or a kind word.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I do wonder where that guy from New York City is that went over to "help out" after his mother was rescued from WTC.

Hope he is having a fine ole time.[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure that if these infidel dogs want to fight to the death, that the USAF could help out with a cluster bomb or two.  What is the penalty for murder in Islam?

As I said before, when these folks get to heaven and meet Abdulluh; and the 79 virgin women, I hope that all the women are all fat, ugly, & old maids. F'you @$$holes for murdering 5,000 innocent souls. If it sounds like I'm pissed, that is because I am.

I am listening to WTC tribute with Enya's music as I'm writing this post [url]www.angelfire.com/az2/zr1/wtc/wtc.swf[/url]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Post from Warlord -
I am listening to WTC tribute with Enya's music as I'm writing this post.
View Quote

I had to stop listening to that video for a while to maintain my composure.

But it sure helps to go back every once and awhile to remember those poor souls and their gallant would-be rescuers.

Eric The(ThatVideoWillBePlayed'InTheNextWorld'SoThat[u]They[/u]MaySeeHowMuchTheyAreLovedAndMourned)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the point of surrendering anyway??? Do you really think that the Northern Alliance is going to let the Taliban go at some point?

My guess is that they aren't taking many prisoners anyway, and the ones that they do take are eventually going to be executed.

And IMHO they SHOULD be executed.  The Taliban are murderous scum.  The quicker that they are all hunted down and slaughtered the better.

-SS
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#7]
They musta heard that the supply of virgins in heaven is being depleated by all of the new marters we have created lately. They don't want to miss out on all the fun hence the "self detonations".

"Let's roll" said the 800lb gorrilla

Rocketman out
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
How many stories have we heard of US soldiers carrying a handgun mainly for committing suicide in the event of capture?  Wouldn't you rather be dead than tortured?  They're real warriors, not afraid to die for their beliefs, unlike most people on this board who are only fair-weather advocates of liberty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top