Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2008 12:00:03 PM EDT
I've been out shopping for a headstone. I'm reeling a little bit from the sticker shock. Sure theres a lot of labor in qurrying the stone and cuttin, freight, etc. but wow. $$$$$ Anyone have any information like the typical mark up on these chunks of rock?
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious as I've never bought one but how much $$ are we talking about here for a headstone?
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea, but I bet the markup isn't much different than anything else.  You probably named the reasons why they're high, since freight is always charged by weight, I bet it's astronomical to ship that stuff any distance.  I knew a guy that was a mason and did a lot of the work himself for his son (my friend that died).  He had some panels sandblasted with my friend's name/dates etc (maybe 24" x 24") and then built a pretty elaborate stone monument himself, and set the engraved panels in.

ETA:  I think my dad said he paid like $1000 for my grandfather's, and it wasn't that big/fancy.  And this was probably 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The mark up is HUGE. I was going to import them from China. Got the pricing and went to a local dist. He does about 3400 a year. I could have saved him about $100 on the standard black monument. That would have put another $200,000 in his pocket for that color. He was paying $600. His attitude Meh. He sells them for around $3000. $100 wasn't shit to him.

I found there is very little competition. He stays out of his competitors back yard and they do the same. Big rip off business. I wanted IN
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to be nosey (sp?) but how much are they?

And what are you getting for your money?

There are some good folks running funeral homes, but the funeral business has some real slimy players that take full advantage of grief-stricken families.

My mom still feels bad that my grandfather's burial vault was "not nice enough".   He died in 1979.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My mom still feels bad that my grandfather's burial vault was "not nice enough".   He died in 1979.  

One of the reasons that I don't want to be embalmed and just buried in a cheap wood box to rot somewhere on some land my family owns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Cremate me and toss me in the woods someplace.

Spend the money on the grandkids.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That's why I joined the Navy to get cheap headstones for all the family.

In any case those $$ seem a little high based on the few the family got lately.  I expect that if you contact a few places where there is some competition you'll find better prices.  You ,ight have to get a buddy with a pick-up to get it .  The cemetary should be able to do the handling at the final end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, here's an example. 36'' wide x 16'' high, includes bottom slab and concrete foundation, some type of granite $2350. Taller onyx, much more stylish $3500. That seems to be middle of the road. You can go up or down from there and mostly up. This headstone isn't for me so cremation is out. Maybe I'm just being petty but still seems like a lot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, here's an example. 36'' wide x 16'' high, includes bottom slab and concrete foundation, some type of granite $2350. Taller onyx, much more stylish $3500. That seems to be middle of the road. You can go up or down from there and mostly up. This headstone isn't for me so cremation is out. Maybe I'm just being petty but still seems like a lot.

You're going to be dead.  You can't take that money with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top