Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 2:27:02 AM EDT
I just bought a liberty gun safe(new home for 2001 LEPG) and am going to put a "golden rod" dehumidifier in it since it is in my basement. Is it safe to store ammo in the safe with the dehumidifier in it? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think so.  I don't store my ammo in my safe.  In fact, my ammo is stored at the extreme opposite end of the house.  During a fire, I'm worried about the rounds cooking off inside the safe.  They are only rated to keep the inside at 450 deg for 30 minutes in a 1200 deg fire, at least thats what mine is.  

I think you could use the golden rod.  In fact it will keep your ammo drier.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The only ammo I keep in my safe is in the mags themselves, no problems with my Goldenrod.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it is safe to store ammo in a gun safe but why?  

You only have a limited amount of room in a gun safe and why waste that space on cheap ammo?  Store the ammo in .50 cal ammocans outside the safe.  

I currently store my mags in my safe, but when I need the space for other more important things, the mags will come out.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I store some ammo in my safe. Even though it is bolted down I try to keep the safe loaded up and as heavy as possible.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hey GWIGG,
FYI, ammo will not be dangerous at all of it "cooks off" in a fire.  This has been demonstrated many times, first by General Hatcher (that I know of), and is talked about on the SAAMI website.  When not contained (supported) by the chamber of firearm pressure cannot build.  Usually the primer pops out and maybe the bullet, but neither will be dangerous.  Any rounds loaded into the chamber of a firearm will, of course, be very dangerous.  
View Quote

I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/miscella.htm[/url]

http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/miscella.htm

Some Hatcher stuff here.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey GWIGG,
FYI, ammo will not be dangerous at all of it "cooks off" in a fire.  This has been demonstrated many times, first by General Hatcher (that I know of), and is talked about on the SAAMI website.  When not contained (supported) by the chamber of firearm pressure cannot build.  Usually the primer pops out and maybe the bullet, but neither will be dangerous.  Any rounds loaded into the chamber of a firearm will, of course, be very dangerous.  
View Quote

I didn't know that.
View Quote

A large quantity of ammo going off in an enclosed container is another story altogether, however.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#14]
A large quantity of ammo going off in an enclosed container is another story altogether, however.
View Quote

Yep, if you have enough ammo in your safe (or just enough powder), you have a giant bomb.   If the ammo cooks off, the burning powder will build up pressure in your safe until the safe itself explodes...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top