Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2008 4:25:37 PM EDT
I'll be going south to Flawrida a few days in the coming weeks for work.  I oughta be done with official business by 2-3PM or so, so that leaves me a lot of time to be bored and surf Arfcom, unless you guys lemme know what else is there to do.  I'll be around the Universal Studios area, and checking that out is a given.  Any good places to eat or have a beer around there?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Cross post this in the Fla HTF....it'll get more localized results for you
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You could buy me a couple shots of whiskey...
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You can play the 'Stuck in rush hour' traffic game.

Try to go someplace around 4pm during the week.

Marvel as the laws of physics are broken when cars move forward, yet make amazingly slow reverse progress.

Time will come to a standstill as the daily time-space nexus fires up. Jump out of the car and run backwards, and you can probably see dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Cruise up and down OBT and post pics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not as much fun as it used to be...its been cleaned up alot
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Marvel as the laws of physics are broken when cars move forward, yet make amazingly slow reverse progress.

Time will come to a standstill as the daily time-space nexus fires up. Jump out of the car and run backwards, and you can probably see dinosaurs.

I've driven (or crawled) through Atlanta rush hour traffic before, hopefully it won't be too different.  Work is about 7 minutes away from the hotel according to Mapquest; does that mean it's really like an hour away due to traffic?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've driven (or crawled) through Atlanta rush hour traffic before, hopefully it won't be too different.  Work is about 7 minutes away from the hotel according to Mapquest; does that mean it's really like an hour away due to traffic?

Just walk.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats where I went to Mercedes training back in the day.

International drive has lots to see and do.  I lived not from there.  I forget exactly where now.  I drove past seaworld depending on the route I took.  

Make sure you go in to the world's largest McDonalds, if it still is the largest.  Thats one of the things I regret not doing.

There was an open air mall there on I-drive also.  It had an FAO shwarz (sp) store which I thought was pretty neat.  

Daytona beach is roughly an hour away.

Drive through some of the shitty parts of Orange Blossom Trail and the surrounding area, you'll know them when you see them.  At one point we quit stopping at stop signs and were just trying to get the hell out of there.  

Sorry I can't be a better tour guide, I was poor at the time and was only there 3 months.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thats where I went to Mercedes training back in the day.

I'll be there for Mitsubishi school.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Come hang out with me
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, glad to hear that. I was born and raised in Orlando (haven't been there in years, .....in town that is)

Just heard plenty of "stories"
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then move in a parralel east to Paramore and Westmoreland south of Colonial Dr/SR.50

Seriously..........take 528 East (about 40-60 minutes )to the Space Center/Cape Canaveral and get the tour.
Great cheap,interesting fun.....if your thirsty afterwords, drive South following US Rt.1 to A-1A into Port Canaveral and check out a couple bars and wing joints

If you continue South on A1-A you will hit Cocoa Beach....with a pier and Ron Jons...a little further South and theres a place called Coconuts, right on the beach....AWESOME RUM RUNNERS!!
Accross the street is the Inner Room Caberet ...a semi-classy strip club....but Sassy Merlots accross from the pier is more fun(from what Ive heard)

If your in O-Town....driving South down OBT-17/92 is littered with strip clubs and bars.

As mentioned before ...I-Drive has a number of cool spots, including a decent Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then move in a parralel east to Paramore and Westmoreland south of Colonial Dr/SR.50

Seriously..........take 528 East (about 40-60 minutes )to the Space Center and get the tour.
Great cheap,interesting fun.....if your thirsty afterwords, drive South to Port Canaveral and check out a couple bars and wing joints

If you continue South on A1-A you will hit Cocoa Beach....with a pier and Ron Jons...a little further South and theres a place called Coconuts, right on the beach....AWESOME RUM RUNNERS!!
Accross the street is the Inner Room Caberet ...a semi-classy strip club....but Sassy Merlots accross from the pier is more fun(from what Ive heard)

If you stop by near Cocoa Beach you can beg Keltec to give you a tour/shoot the bullpup they are making.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Just be careful if you do go to Cocoa Beach and Port Canaveral. A1A is one big speed trap between Cape Canaveral and almost to Patrick AFB during certain hours. Dont ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just be careful if you do go to Cocoa Beach and Port Canaveral. A1A is one big speed trap between Cape Canaveral and almost to Patrick AFB during certain hours. Dont ask me how I know.

Do they still park the cruiser with the dummy in it where 528 ends and A1A begins?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you stop by near Cocoa Beach you can beg Keltec to give you a tour/shoot the bullpup they are making.

Arent they still in North Cocoa on US 1 just north of 528?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't call that little section between I-4 and SR50 too cleaned up. That's still crack whore central. I drive through that area everyday and it's the kinda place you have to keep your eyes open and be aware of whose around you at stop lights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traffic in Orlando is not as bad as Atlanta. The worst part is I-4 and if you can avoid that your OK. I would just leave a little early your first day and then adjust accordingly once you figure out what traffic is like. If you leave before 7:00 am like I do then you can usually beat the rush.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arent they still in North Cocoa on US 1 just north of 528?

I haven't been down there to verify that, but the last time I checked I believe they still are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't call that little section between I-4 and SR50 too cleaned up. That's still crack whore central. I drive through that area everyday and it's the kinda place you have to keep your eyes open and be aware of whose around you at stop lights.

When I was working around there in the early 90s,twice I had whores open the passenger door and get in at stop lights They were pretty ballsy
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I have heard a rumor, it IS a rumor mind you, that there may some variety of Disney facility in that general area.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have heard a rumor, it IS a rumor mind you, that there may some variety of Disney facility in that general area.

Nope....just a rumor. No truth to that at all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Can I make hamburgers with ground beef?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
You can find the crazy ex that stole my Walther P22 and 92FS.   Long story I'll post one of these days.  (Yes they have been reported for 3 years now)
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Take a jog up to Ocala and go swimming in a spring.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You can find the crazy ex that stole my Walther P22 and 92FS.   Long story I'll post one of these days.  (Yes they have been reported for 3 years now)

No way dude, I'd love to help you, but I had one of those crazy chicks for a while.  One is more than enough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Dang it beat me to it! Although it is not near as bad as say 10 years ago. You can ALMOST walk there at night.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Visit Parliment House
J/K
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Go to Deland!

From Orlando, take I 4 north to the Deland exit.  Get on 17/92 north into Deland.  On on the right side of the road, just about 1 mile form the down town area is a Guns store, I think it's:

Love's Gun & Pawn
1411 S Woodland Blvd, Deland, FL
386-736-1411

It's a must visit.  

They have so many friggin guns that they are literally hanging from the cieling in vertical racks - I shit you not.  The display cases for the hand guns start at the front door and ciricle the entire store.  Then there's the other pawn stuff.  I spent 2 hours in there last visit to my Mom's and had a great time just looking at the goodies.  A n easy road trip about 1 hour max from Orlando.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Me?  I'd head over to the Disneyworld Resort.  Get a 1 day pass to the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.  Make a reservation at a nice restaurant someplace on the property, hang out at a themed pool bar at a hotel.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Catch Cirque du Soleil in Downtown Disney. Expensive though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top