Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2008 11:52:22 AM EDT
If right now, all of a sudden, you could not get food from anywhere except from what you have already. How many days of 3 meals a day would you have for yourself and the people in your care, until you ran out?

Power, water, sewer are available as long as you pay your bill. But think of it as you lost your job, and your finances are the norm (you are in debt). Your kid(s) still go to school, you wife does not work, you need to find a new job, but new employment in your area is hard to get.

And if you take food from your neighbors at gun point/forciably, your going to be in worse shape. So no stealing food!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
1 or 2...maybe 3 if I stretch it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
oh maybe 4-5..  i just have to feed myself, and i have a stack of hamburger patties in the freezer (18 or so of them)..

so i'd be ok for some time.. not the healthiest but i would survive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#5]
At least a month, but if something like that happens I would try ration it to 2 meals a day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a survivalist forum here?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
2 weeks
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes there is, but this has nothing to do with that. I am asking the question because the prices of food are going up, and many people are loosing their employment. Until more employment is found, they need to eat. And I am just guaging what people have on hand in this forum of "general discussion".
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Year or so
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
1.5 years for four people.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is, but this has nothing to do with that. I am asking the question because the prices of food are going up, and many people are loosing their employment. Until more employment is found, they need to eat. And I am just guaging what people have on hand in this forum of "general discussion".

1 month BTW.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Well when I lived in Utah I had 3 months worth of food for 3 meals a day. Which would have left me with 6 meals a day for about 2 weeks. I like to eat...

Here even though the SHTFess is higher here in Nor Cal. I don't store food. All my neighbors are liberals and have no guns... My plan is to take their wimmins and their food. At least the attractive wimmins...

Ugliness starves.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I got canned soup, rice, beans, ramen noodles, frozen beef...

I could go a week at least.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well when I lived in Utah I had 3 months worth of food for 3 meals a day. Which would have left me with 6 meals a day for about 2 weeks. I like to eat...

Here even though the SHTFess is higher here in Nor Cal. I don't store food. All my neighbors are liberals and have no guns... My plan is to take their wimmins and their food. At least the attractive wimmins...

Ugliness starves.

What if they (with their baseball bat) are figuring that they will get food from you , that you don't have either?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably a month or so. It's just me. I'm not responsible for anyone else. I like it that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
30 days of food and water, plus enough for the dogs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
30 days of food and water, plus enough for the dogs.

You could eat the dogs first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Heh, there are guys in the survival forum with a year's worth for their whole family.

Yes, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing is, in the US and the west in general, food costs are about the lowest of your monthly costs.

I raise the BS flag on people who claim to be going hungry here.  ESPECIALLY when they are driving around and living in a house.

HOW can you not have enough money to buy food?  I'm not talking about eating out, or buying frozen meals.  Rice and beans are CHEAP.

The problem is, everybody is spoiled nowadays.  They want their porkchop and big mac, dammit.

(Oh, and as to how much food I have on hand...not saying.  Paranoia has it's uses.)

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
1.5-2 months maybe.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#21]
depends on if the power is out.

If the power is on. a month if not a good bit more.

If the power is out. maybe a week or so...with a lot of rotten meat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I have more dog food then people food.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
We need pics.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I've stockpiled ammo, so what do I need food for when I can just load up my tactical wheelbarrow with my .22 and .38 and scavenge or take what I need.

Actually, I've got about 30 days on hand after that I bug out to the farm.  It's tough for a guy in an apartment to stockpile any significant quantities.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Heh, there are guys in the survival forum with a year's worth for their whole family.

Yes, I'm jealous.

Don't worry about them, they are going to eat, but will you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1.
And if power is out, I only have a week of cooking fuel, and that is only one hot a day.

And if I am on the move on foot, I only have a case of MRE's
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing is, in the US and the west in general, food costs are about the lowest of your monthly costs.

I raise the BS flag on people who claim to be going hungry here.  ESPECIALLY when they are driving around and living in a house.

HOW can you not have enough money to buy food?  I'm not talking about eating out, or buying frozen meals.  Rice and beans are CHEAP.

The problem is, everybody is spoiled nowadays.  They want their porkchop and big mac, dammit.

(Oh, and as to how much food I have on hand...not saying.  Paranoia has it's uses.)

Paranoia? Don't you have a gun?

Remember the saying, "I'm not paranoid, I have a gun."
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"A" gun?

No, I lost them all in a TBA.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
About a month, including drinking water.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.
And if power is out, I only have a week of cooking fuel, and that is only one hot a day.

And if I am on the move on foot, I only have a case of MRE's

Don't think end of the world, think lost job, gasoline is $4.00/gal, need to find a new job, but also have to keep the utilities up to date.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"A" gun?

No, I lost them all in a TBA.

Oh sorry to hear of your loss wink wink
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#32]
If I have electric and water: 1 month easy.

If I don't: Two weeks
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#33]
By myself....maybe a month or two, more if I stretch it (could stand to lose a few pounds anyways).  Just about every trip to the grocery store I toss a few cans of whatever into the cart for the "Zombie Outbreak/SHTF" food cache.  Spam, ramen noodles, peanut butter, etc would get real old fast.  Esp since I'd run out of Dr Pepper in a week...that caffeine monkey on your back sucks.  The bread & milk wouldn't last the week either.
The dogs & cat would be SOL though, I don't keep a lot of dry pet food stockpiled.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#34]
EARTHQUAKE!!!

Time to go get some more rice and beans...

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#35]
You guys need to hang in the SF once in a while.

I have enough to last until I have to do my taxes again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You guys need to hang in the SF once in a while.

I have enough to last until I have to do my taxes again.

<-- Small biz owner; I file income taxes quarterly and sales/use taxes monthly.

As for the OP's question on food, after the next MH shipment arrives today, six months on hand for two adults and a toddler.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#37]
four, maybe five days
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Hm

Probably 10-15days worth
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd say at least 6 months, probably longer.

- Mountain House meals
- Lots of canned food
- MRE entrees, with heaters

(the above assumes I have no power.  If I still have power, I have a good amount of food in the fridge, so call it 7 months).

You never know when things will go "pear shaped".
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#41]
A week or so.
If CAT FOOD counts, then two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#42]
1-2 weeks
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#43]
If I count on what I expect to get out of the garden, food through to winter. If I go only off my dry storage, 2 months for three people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#44]
My local supplier just jacked up his price of bulk wheat to $48 per 45lbs bucket .  Pre-processed flour is much much cheaper for the same weight, but with an expiration date of under a year, it isn't practical to store much.

Rice is still somewhat reasonable, at $18 per 50lbs sack at Sams Club.  50lbs of salt is about $13 bucks.  

Many in the survival forum are taking advantage of 50% off sale on late-packed military T-rations.

If you are starting from zero, just about anything is a noticeable improvement.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
At least a month, but if something like that happens I would try ration it to 2 meals a day.

10 days 2 meals a day for me. Family of 3
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Maybe a week, maybe more.  I'd need water.  I have several lbs of flour and 25 lbs of rice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Maybe a month or so. After that I would be harvesting game and I have plenty of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If right now, all of a sudden, you could not get food from anywhere except from what you have already. How many days of 3 meals a day would you have for yourself and the people in your care, until you ran out?

Power, water, sewer are available as long as you pay your bill. But think of it as you lost your job, and your finances are the norm (you are in debt). Your kid(s) still go to school, you wife does not work, you need to find a new job, but new employment in your area is hard to get.

And if you take food from your neighbors at gun point/forciably, your going to be in worse shape. So no stealing food!

Probably six months or more in the freezer alone.  Then there's the canned food ...
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#49]
4-6 months.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I am asking the question because the prices of food are going up, and many people are loosing their employment. Until more employment is found, they need to eat.

If someone loses their job and suddenly has no money to buy food, they probably deserve to starve.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top