Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 12:36:10 PM EDT
I am looking to learn to play the fiddle. I have seen web pages with beginner fiddles for as low as $150 and claim good sound and the prices go up.

Also any tips for a complete newbie. Mostly interested in learning to play Irish music. I don't read music yet but plan to learn.

I also don't know if I would stick with this. So I don't want to invest a grand in a fiddle. But I want something that won't fall apart and will be good to start on.

Any recommendations on training dvds or books?

Thanks

Best Irish Song ever - not a Rick Roll
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Is a fiddle the same as a violin?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I considered doing the very same however I was told that its the hardest instrument to learn.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This guy ain't too bad.

Charlie Daniels

I don't have any real info for you though but hey it's a bump.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about fiddles, but you can't get a good Violin for $150.  Think >$500 for one that won't sound like ass.  If you stick with it, you'll end up spending more.  I haven't played mine since high school (I'm 24), but it was ~$1800

ETA: lessons will help a lot too
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been told that without an instructor and a shit ton of time and dedication, you're gonna suck.  A lot.  It also looks like a very, very hard instrument to play.

That said, go for it dude.  Don't listen to any naysayers, go get one and play.  I can't remember who, but someone mentioned that they play the violin in the Music forum.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Well rome is burning
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is a fiddle the same as a violin?

Yes but  fiddle is tuned down a half step if I remember correctly. I played Violin when I was 9-12, grabbed a Guitar and never looked back
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been told that without an instructor and a shit ton of time and dedication, you're gonna suck.  A lot.  It also looks like a very, very hard instrument to play.

That said, go for it dude.  Don't listen to any naysayers, go get one and play.  I can't remember who, but someone mentioned that they play the violin in the Music forum.  

It's not a tough instrument to play, it's a tough instrument to play well
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, he never said anything about playing it well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, he never said anything about playing it well.

HAHAHA. From what I gather a fiddle and violin are built the same, but the way they are played is quite different. The fiddle is more, I don't know free style, and the violin is more rigid. Not to mention the different kinds of music.

I don't want to make a huge investment in an instrument. I don't read music yet. I won't spend even close to a grand on something to try out. I know you get what you pay for in everything in life; but thats just too much to spend on something I am going to try and I don't know if I will like it. And for a grand I'll just get another rifle. That makes music too

I'm not afraid of the challange, and it can't be THAT hard or no one would play them at all. And hell I saw a 7 year old on youtube playing one and she did alright. If a 7 year old can do it I figure I can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Rent one. Find a violin shop, most larger cities have one, and get a violin set up as a fiddle.  Give it a couple of lessons.  The tune I always try on a different instrument is Bob Will's " San Antonio Rose".
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Irish fiddle rules!

We have live traditional Irish music every Friday and Saturday night.

Stop by if you are in the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top